Wansley.—hamlet, Devon, 5 miles SE. of Torring-
ton.—2. Wansley, hamlet, Beaminster par., Dorset,
Wansley Hall, seat, 14 mile N. of Brinsley, Notts.
Wanstead, town and par., Essex—par. (partly in town
of Leyton), 2002 ac. (51 water), pop. 9414; town, 14 mile
NW. of Ilford and 7 miles NE. of London, 1072 ac.,
pop. 5362. Wanstead is a local government dist., and
contains many fine residences.
Wanstrow, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Somerset—
par., 2054 ac., pop. 330; vil., 7 miles E. of Shepton
Mallet by rail and 54 SW. of Frome; P.O.
Wantage.—market town, par., and township, Berks,
in White Horse Yale, on Wilts and Berks Canal, 24
miles SW. of Wantage Road ry. sta. and 9 miles SW.
of Abingdon—par., 7530 ac., pop. 4378; town and
township, 2503 ac., pop. 3488; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. AYantage is
an agricultural town, with an old church, a grammar
school, a town hall, and a corn exchange. It is distin-
guished as the birthplace, in 849, of King Alfred, to
whom, in 1877, a statue was erected in the market-
place. Bishop Butler (1692-1752), author of the Ana-
logy °f Religion, was also a native.—2. Wantage,
hundred, Berks, in NW. of co., 25,736 ac., pop. 7897;
contains 7 pars, and parts of 3 others.
Wantage Boad, ry. sta., Berks, 94 miles SE. of
Faringdon by rail and 24 miles NE. of AYantage town.
Wanthwaite, hamlet, 1 mile S. of Threlkeld sta.,
Cumberland; Wanthwaite Bridge here crosses St
Johns Beck; Wanthwaite Crags, § mile SE. of the
hamlet, are very picturesque.
Wantisden, par., Suffolk, 3 miles SE. of Wickham
Market, 2126 ac., pop. 110 ; contains Wantisden Hall,
Wanton Walls, Edinburghshire. See New Craig-
HALL AND AVANTON WALLS.
Wapiey, hamlet, Lofthouse par., North-Riding York-
shire, 8 miles E. of Guisbrough.
Wapiey Hill, eminence with ancient camp, on border
of Herefordshire and Radnorshire, 3 miles SE. of Pres-
teigne ; the camp is of great extent, and commands
splendid prospects of the surrounding country.
Wapiey and Codrington, par., Gloucestershire, 2
miles SE. of Yate ry. sta., 2598 ac., pop. 275.
Waplington, township, Allerthorpe par., East-
Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles SAY. of Pocklington, 813
ac., pop. 22.
Wappenbury, par. and township, Warwickshire, 44
miles NE. of Leamington—par., 1450 ac., pop. 230;
township, pop. 82.
Wappenhain, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta.,
Northamptonshire—par., 2980 ac., pop. 526 ; township,
pop. 464; vil., 4 miles SW. of Towcester; P.O.
Wapping, par. and eccl. dist. with ry. sta., Middle-
sex, on river Thames, in E. of London and in parl. bor.
of Tower Hamlets—par., 40 ac., pop. 2225; dist. (ex-
tending into St George in the East par.), pop. 3560 ; the
sta. is lj mile SE. of Fenchurch Street sta., London;
the London Docks are at Wapping.
War Hill, 7 miles SAY. of Bray, N. co. AAricklow,
alt. 2250 ft.
W'arberry Hill, eminence, Devon, near Torquay;
extensive and beautiful prospects are obtained from its
Warbleton, par. and vil., Sussex—par., 5986 ac.,
pop. 1468; vil., 6 miles N. of Hailsham; P.O.; re-
mains of an Augustinian canonry (time of Henry IV.)
are embodied in a farmhouse.
Warblington, par. and vil., Hants—par. (containing
Emsworth), 2670 ac. and 582 tidal water and foreshore,
pop. 2374; the vil. is 1 mile SE. of Havant; Warb-
lington Castle, built prior to the reign of Henry III.,
was reconstructed in the reign of Henry VII., and is
now a ruin.
Warbornc, hamlet, Boldre par., Hants, 2 miles N.
Warborough, par. and vil., Oxfordshire, in S. of co.
—par., 1697 ac. (23 water), pop. 689; vil., 3 miles N.
of Wallingford; P.O.
Warboys, par. and vil., Huntingdonshire, in E. of
co.—par., 8100 ac., pop. 1676; vil., 34 miles SE. of
Ramsey; P.O., t.o.
. Warbreck. See Layton with Warbreck.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)