Wattlesboroiigh, hamlet, Cardiston and Alberbury
pars., Shropshire, 14 mile NE. of AVestbury sta.; in
vicinity is Wattleskorongk Hall, seat.
Watton.—market town and par. with ry. sta., Nor-
folk, on river AYissey, 12 miles N. of Thetford, 1807
ac., pop. 1407; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Satur-
day. AYatton is an ancient place. The church, built in
the reign of Henry I., has been restored. There is an
ancient market-cross, and a town hall (1853). AYatton
has long been celebrated for the excellent quality of its
butter. Trade in farm produce is carried on.—2.
Watton, hamlet, Symondsbury par., Dorset, near Brid-
port.—3. Watton, par. and vil., Herts—par., 3579ac.,
pop. 809 ; vil., on river Beane, 4 miles NAA7. of Hertford ;
P.O., T.O.; a malting establishment is here. — 4.
Watton, par. and vil., East-Riding Yorkshire—par.,
4745 ac., pop. 319; vil., 54 miles S. of Driffield; has
remains of Watton Abkey, founded in 1149 and rebuilt
in the reign of Henry VII.
Watton Court, seat, Devon, near Tor Bay, 4 miles
N. of Dartmouth.
Watts Dyke, ancient rampart, extending from
vicinity of Oswestry, in Shropshire, to Basingwerk, 1
mile NE. of Holywell, Flintshire.
Wattston, vil., New Monkland par., Lanarkshire, 3
miles NE. of Airdrie, pop. 324.
Wattstown, 2 m. from Tylorstown, Glamorgan; P.O.
Wauckope. — place with school, Langholm par.,
Dumfriesshire, on Wauchope AVater.—2. Wauckope,
seat, Hobkirk par., Roxburghshire, 10 miles SE. of
Wanldky, township, Elloughton par., East-Riding
Yorkshire, 3 miles SE. of South Cave, 1021 ac., pop. 44.
Wanlkiiiilis, vil., St Yigeans par., Forfarshire, 2
miles NW. of Arbroath; has bleachworks.
Waunarllwydd, 2 miles from Gower Road sta.,
Wannilwyd, 2 miles from Ebbw A7ale, Monmouth-
shire ; P.O.
Wavendon, par. and vil., Bucks, in NAV. of co.—
par., 2791 ac., pop. 971; vil., 4 miles NE. of Fenny
Stratford; P.O.; Wavendon Hall, seat, is in vicinity.
Wavcney, river, Norfolk and Suffolk; rises near
Brettingham, and flows NE. along the border of the
counties, past Diss, Harleston, Bungay, and Beccles to
the Yare, 4| miles SAV. of Yarmouth; is 50 miles long,
and navigable for barges to Bungay.
Waver, river, Cumberland; rises on the Caldbeck
Fells, 2| miles NE. of Ireby, and flows 10 miles NW.
to Morecambe Bay at Abbey-Holme.
Waverley, par., Surrey, 2 miles SE. of Farnham,
542 ac. (24 water), pop. 40; has picturesque remains of
Waverley Abbey (1128), the first Cistercian house
founded in England.
Waverley Station, North British Ry., at E. end of
Princes Street, Edinburgh.
Waverton.—township, Wigton par., Cumberland,
on river Waver, 3 miles W. of AVigton, 4163 ac., pop.
481; P.O., calledWaverton Toll-Gate.—2.Waverton,
par., township, and vil. with ry. sta., Cheshire—par.,
4202 ac., pop. 709; township, 1182 ac., pop. 330; vil.,
4 miles SE. of Chester ; P.O.
Wavertree, town and township with ry. sta., Child-
wall par., SW. Lancashire, 3 miles SE. of Lime Street
Station, Liverpool, and partly within the parl. limits
of Liverpool, 1838 ac., pop. 11,097; P.O., T.o. AVaver-
tree is a local government district, and has breweries
and a large ropery.
Wawnc (or Wagken), par. and township, East-Riding
Yorkshire, 4 miles SE. of Beverley—par.,5440 ac., pop.
400; township, 3983 ac., pop. 299.
Waxhant, par., Norfolk, 11 miles SE. of North
AValsham, 2087 ac. (125 water), pop. 147.
Waxhain, Little, old par., now in Horsey next the
Sea par., Norfolk; the church and vil. were swept
away by the sea.
Waxkolme, township, Owthorne par., East-Riding
Yorkshire, on the coast, 5 miles NE. of Patrington,
542 ac. and 116 foreshore, pop. 94.
Waybourn, par., Norfolk. See AVeybourne.
Wayford, par., Somerset, 24 miles SW. of Crew-
kerne, 1618 ac., pop. 224.
Way land, hundred, Norfolk, 33,149 ac., pop. 7217;
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)