Welton In the Marsh, par. and vil., Lincolnshire—
par., 2600 ac., pop. 375; the vil. is 6 m. NE. of Spilsby.
Welton le Wold, par. and vil., Lincolnshire—par.,
2520 ac., pop. 334; vil., 4 miles W. of Louth; P.O.
Wei wick, par. and vil., East-Riding Yorkshire, 2
miles SE. of Patrington, 3515 ac. and 893 tidal water
and foreshore, pop. 341.
Welwyn, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Herts—par.,
3081 ac., pop. 1742; vil., 4 miles N. of Hatfield by
rail; P.O., T.o.; has shoemaking and wool stapling. Dr
Edward Young (1684-1765), author of Night Thoughts,
was rector, and is buried in the church.
Wem, market town and par. with ry. sta., Shrop-
shire, on Ellesmere Canal, 104 miles N. of Shrewsbury
—par., 13,898 ac., pop. 3751; town, pop. 2600; P.O.,
T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Thursday. Wem is an
old town, and numbers among its natives William
Wycherley (1640-1715), the dramatist, and Judge
Jeffreys (1640-1689), who in 1685 took the title of
Baron Wem. The church, destroyed by fire in 1677,
was rebuilt in 1679. Wem has a town hall, a market
house, and an endowed school. Malting and tanning
are the chief industries. In addition to the weekly
market there are fairs on the second and fourth Mon-
days of every month.
Wenibdon, par. and vil., Somerset—par. (partly in
bor. of Bridgwater), 2471 ac., pop. 1299; vil., If mile
NW. of Bridgwater ; P.O.
Wembley, eccl. dist. (ry. sta. Sudbury and Wembley),
Harrow par., Middlesex, 2| miles SE. of Harrow, pop.
1796; P.O., T.o.; contains Wembley Park, seat.
Wembury, coast par. and vil., Devon—par., 3134
ac., pop. 551; vil., at mouth of river Tamar, 6 miles
SE. of Plymouth; in vicinity is South Wembury
Wembworthy, par. and vil., Devon—par., 2411 ac.,
pop. 433; vil., 4 miles SW. of Chulmleigh ; P.O.
Wemergfll Hall, seat, Lunedale township, Romald
Kirk par., North-Riding Yorkshire, 11 miles NW. of
Wemyss, par., Fife, on Firth of Forth, 4732 ac.,
pop. 7307; contains Buckhaven and West Wemyss
towns, and East Wemyss vil.; the par. gives the title
of earl to a branch of the family of Douglas ; the church
is at East Wemyss.
Wemyss, East, vil. with ry. sta. (Wemyss Castle),
Wemyss par., Fife, 1 m. SW. of Buckhaven, pop. 846;
P.O.; has a large linen factory and a small brewery.
Wemyss, West, town and quoad sacra par. with ry.
sta., Wemyss par., Fife, on Firth of Forth, 2 miles NE.
of Dysart'—quoad sacra par., pop. 1658; town, pop.
1206 ; P.O., T.o.; is a burgh of barony, and has a good
harbour and considerable traffic in coal ; Wemyss
Castle, seat, is in vicinity.
Wemyss Bay, small watering-place with ry. sta. and
steamboat pier, Inverkip par., Renfrewshire, 8 miles
SW. of Greenock; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Wemyss Castle, ry. sta., Wemyss par., Fife, at
East Wemyss. See also Wemtss, AYest.
Wemyss Hall, seat, in par. and 14 mile S. of
Wemyss Square, part of Fordel, Aberdour par.,
Fife, pop. 116.
Wen, hamlet, Llansawel par., Carmarthenshire, in
NE. of co., 9 miles N. of Llandilo.
Wendens Ambo, par. and vil. (ry. sta. Audley End),
Essex—par., 1439 ac., pop. 359; the vil. is 14 mile SW.
of Saffron AValden.
Wendlebury, par., Oxfordshire, 2| miles SAY. of
Bicester, 1154 ac., pop. 166; contains Wendlebury
Wendling, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Norfolk—
par., pop. 1436 ac., pop. 361; vil., 4 miles W. of
Wendon Lofts, par., Essex, 5 miles W. of Saffron
Walden, 799 ac., pop. 56.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)