Wentnor, par. and vil., Shropshire—par., G698 ae.,
pop. 727; vil., 5 miles NE. of Bishops Castle; P.O.
Wentwood Forest, in SE. of Monmouthshire, 4%
miles SE. of Usk; is the property of the Duke of Beau-
fort, and covers 2170 ac., but was formerly much more
Wentworth.—(or Wingford), par., Cambridgeshire,
4% miles SW. of Ely, 1437 ac., pop. 143.—2. Went-
worth, township and vil., Wath upon Dearne par., S.
div. West-Riding Yorkshire—township, 2328 ac., pop.
1792; vil., 4% m. NW. of Rotherham; P.O., T.o.; Went-
worth Woodhouse is the seat of Earl Fitzwilliam.
Wentworth Castle, seat, Stainbrough_ township,
Silkstone par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles
SW. of Barnsley; was built (1730-68) by the second
and third earls of Strafford.
Wenvoe (or Wenfoe), par. and vil., Glamorgan, in
SE. of co.—par., 3035 ac., pop. 405; vil., 5 miles SW.
of Cardiff; P.O.; in vicinity is Wenvoe Castle, seat.
Weobly, small town and par., Herefordshire, 3 miles
N. of Moorhampton sta. and 7 miles SW. of Leomin-
ster, 3309 ac., pop. 882 ^ P.O., T.o., 1 Bank. Weobly
stands amidst picturesque scenery, is an ancient town,
and sent 2 members to Parliament from the reign of
Edward I. until 1832. A grassy mound marks the site
of its old castle, which figured in the wars of Stephen
and Maud. The church, restored in 1866, is a fine
structure. There is an endowed grammar school.
Brewing is carried on.
Wepre, vil., Northop par., Flintshire, onr. Dee, 4 m.
NW. of Hawarden; Wepre Hall is an ancient mansion.
Wereham, par. and vil., Norfolk—par., 2231 ac.,
pop. 614; vil., 6 miles SE. of Downham sta. ; P.O.;
in vicinity is Wereham Hall, seat.
Wergs, The, hamlet and seat, Staffordshire, 3 miles
NW. of Wolverhampton; P.O.
Werneth.—township with ry. sta., Stockport par.,
Cheshire, partly in bor. of Hyde, and 4 miles NE. of
Stockport, 1571 ac., pop. 3129; has cotton mfrs., calico
printing, and hat-making. Werneth Low is an emi-
nence, commanding fine views.—2. Werneth, eccl.
dist., Prestwich par., SE. Lancashire, on SW. side of
Oldham, pop. 10,406.
Wcrr, hamlet, Llanarth par., Cardiganshire, in SAY.
of co., 4 miles SAY. of Aberaeron.
Werrington.—par. and vil., Devon—par., 5000 ac.,
pop. 658; vil., 2 miles N. of Launceston; has slate
quarries; Werrington House, seat, is in vicinity.—2.
Werrington, township and vil., Paston par., North-
amptonshire, 3% miles NW. of Peterborough, pop. 777;
P.O., T.O.—3. Werrington, hamlet, Caverswell par.,
Staffordshire, 5 miles SE. of Hanley; P.O.
Wervln, township, Chester St Oswald par., Che-
shire, 4% miles N. of Chester, 743 ac., pop. 92.
Wescott. See Westcott.
Weshani. See Medlar with Wesham.
Wessex, the ancient kingdom of the AYest Saxons;
it extended over Berks, Hants, AVilts, Dorset, Somer-
set, Devon, and Cornwall; all the other kingdoms of
the Saxon heptarchy were merged in Wessex by Egbert
Wesslngton, township, Crich par., Derbyshire, 3%
miles NW. of Alfreton, 973 ac., pop. 609.
West* Ackhain, Yorkshire. See Ackham, West.
West Acre, par. and vil., Norfolk, 5 miles NW.
of Swaffham, 3400 ac., pop. 415 ; in vicinity of vil. is
Westacre High House, seat.
West A1 vington, 1 mile SW. of Kingsbridge, Devon;
p.o. See Alvington, West.
West Ardsley, 5 miles NAV. of AVakefield, S. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire; P.O. See Ardsley, West.
West Ashling, vil., Funtington par., Sussex, 4 miles
NW. of Chichester ; P.O.
West Ashton, 2% miles SE. of Trowbridge, Wilts;
P.O., t.o. See Ashton, West.
West Aston, seat, 3 m. E. of Rathdrum, co. Wicklow.
West Auckland, ry. sta., Durham, 3 miles SW.
of Bishop Auckland; P.O., t.o. See Auckland, AYest.
West Banks, school, Wick par., Caithness.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)