S. co. Tipperary, 4 miles SW. of Caher, 3921 ac., pop.
490.—6. Whitcchurch, par., S. co. Waterford, 4 miles
NW. of Dungarvan, 9951 ac., pop. 1642.—7. White-
church, par., SAV. co. Wexford, on river Barrow, 5
miles SW. of New Ross, 5342 ac., pop. 680.
Whltechurchglynn, par., in co. and 7 miles NW.
of Wexford, 7187 ac., pop. 984.
Whltecleuch, school, Crawfordjohn par., Lanark-
Whitecliff Bay, small bay, on E. coast of Isle of
Wight, 3 miles NE. of Sandown.
Whttecroft, hamlet with ry. sta., Gloucestershire,
2% miles N. of Lydney; P.O.
Whitecross, 5 m. S. of Markethill, co. Armagh; P.O.
Whltedale, ry. sta., East-Riding Yorkshire, 4| miles
SW. of Hornsea.
Whitefield.—hamlet, Deerhurst par., Gloucester-
shire, 3 miles SW. of Tewkesbury.—2. Whitefield,
town with ry. sta., Ilkington township, Prestwich par.,
SE. Lancashire, 6 miles N. of Manchester, _ 2048 ac.,
pop. 9516; P.O., T.O. Whitefield has risen since 1829,
and owes its prosperity to the cotton and other mfrs.
carried on in the district. There are many fine villas
and other residences. Whitefield is a local government
Whitefield Hall, seat, Cumberland, 4 miles NE. of
Whitefield Wood, wooded tract, Isle of Wight, 1%
mile S. of Ryde; is £ mile long and about % mile wide.
Whlteford House, seat, Cornwall, in E. of co., 2%
miles N. of Callington.
Whlteford Point, on S. side of Llanelly Harbour,
Carmarthenshire; has a fixed light (Llanelly) 55 ft.
above high water and seen 9 miles.
Whitefriars Precinct, par., London city, 8 ac.,
Whitegate, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Cheshire—
par. (containing part of Over), 7913 ac., pop. 1958; vil.,
3% miles SW. of Northwich ; P.O.
Whitegate.—fishing vil., Aghada par., SE. co. Cork,
on E. side of Cork Harbour, 4 miles SE. of Queens-
town and 8 miles SW. of Middleton, pop. 782; P.O.,
T.O.—2. Whitegate, townland, Clonrush par., SE. co.
Galway, 8 miles NE. of Scarriff, 264 ac., pop. 101; P.O.
Whitehall, residence of the Court, Westminster,
from 1530 until 1697, when it was destroyed by fire,
except the Banqueting House, in front of which Charles I.
was executed. Several public offices, including the Trea-
sury, Horse Guards, and Admiralty, are at Whitehall.
Whitehall, vil. with pier, Stronsay island, Orkney.
Whitehall.—hamlet, E. co. Kilkenny, 3 miles SW.
of Bagenalstown; P.O.—2. Whitehall, W. co. Ros-
common, 8 miles W. of Longford; P.O.
Whitehall Hills, paperworks, Chapel en le Frith,
Whitehaugh, seat, Tullynessle and Forbes par.,
Aberdeenshire, on river Don, 4% miles NE. of Alford.
Whitehaven, pari, bor., township, seaport, and
market town, St Bees par., Cumberland, 14 miles S. of
Maryport and 38 miles SAV. of Carlisle by rail—town-
ship, 176 ac., pop. 13,374; bor., 1693 ac., pop. 19,295;
P.O., t.o., 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-days, Tues-
day, Thursday, and Saturday. Whitehaven owes its
prosperity to the immense seams of coal and of haema-
tite iron ore in its vicinity, some of which are wrought
beneath the town and for a considerable distance under
the bed of the sea. There is a good harbour with a
new dock, and the exports, which consist chiefly of the
coal and iron ore, with pig-iron, rails, and provisions,
are very considerable. (For shipping statistics, see
Appendix.) On the W. Pier head is Whitehaven Light-
house, 47 ft. high, with revolving light 52 ft. above
high water and seen 11 miles. There is regular steam-
boat communication with Liverpool, Belfast, Dublin,
and the Isle of Man. There are iron shipbuilding
yards, blast furnaces, iron and brass foundries, and
mfrs. of coarse linens, earthenware, soap, and of all
articles connected with the fitting up of vessels. White-
haven rose from a fishing village to a considerable sea-
port town during the 17th century. It was made a
parliamentary borough in 1832, and returns 1 member.
Whitehaven Castle, seat of Earl of Lonsdale, Cum-
berland, adjacent (on the SE.) to AVhitehaven.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)