AVych. See also AYick.
AVych, High, eccl. dist. and vil., Sawbridgeworth
par., Herts, in E. of co.—dist., pop. 876 ; vil., lg mile
SW. of Sawbridgeworth.
Wych Cross, 5m. SE. of East Grinstead, Sussex; P.O.
Wychhold, hamlet, 2| miles NE. of Droitwich,
Worcestershire; P.O.; AVychbold Hall, seat, is in
AVyclie, Lower and Upper. See Lower Wtche and
AVycliling, Kent. See WlTCHLlNG.
Wychwood, par., Oxfordshire, in W. of co., 4 miles
NW. of Witney, 3782 ac., pop. 213; Wychwood
Forest (3709 ac.) was a wild tract of wood and coppice,
but is now disafforested and enclosed.
Wycliffe, par., North-Riding Yorkshire, on river
Tees, 5 miles E. of Barnard Castle, 2229 ac., pop. 175;
was the birthplace of John de Wycliffe (1324-87), the
reformer, whose family settled here at the Norman
Conquest. The church (restored 1850) contains monu-
ments of the family, and in the rectory is a fine old
portrait of Wycliffe. Wycliffe Hall is a seat in the par.
Wycoinh. See Chadwell and Wycomb.
Wycombe, Chipping Wycombe, or High Wy-
combe, mun. bor., market town, par., and township,
Bucks, in S. of co., on river AVye, 15 miles NAA7. of AYind-
sor and 34 NW. of London by rail—par. (consisting of
the townships of Cflipping Wycombe and Wycombe
Old Borough), 6395 ac., pop. 13,154; township, 6266
ac., pop. 8320; bor. (comprising the township of
Wycombe Old Borough and part of Chipping Wycombe),
400 ac., pop. 10,618; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper.
Market-day, Friday. The leading industries are chair-
making, paper-making, and lace-making. AVycombe
has numerous traces of British and Roman occupation,
and in the middle ages it had several religions establish-
ments, which were destroyed at the Reformation. The
parish church of All Saints dates from the 13th cen-
tury. AVycombe Abbey is the seat of Lord Carring-
ton. Wycombe was governed by a mayor in the
reign of Henry III., and incorporated in that of Henry
YI. It returned 2 members to Parliament from Ed-
ward I. until 1867, and 1 member from 1867 until 1885.
Wycombe, West, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Bucks
—par., 6533 ac., pop. 2390; vil., 2f miles NW. of
Wycombe; P.O. The church was rebuilt in 1763, and
is a handsome edifice in the Grecian style. Chair-
making is the principal industry. Wycombe Park is
the seat of the Dashwoods.
Wycombe (or Southern) Division, parl. div. of
Bucks, pop. 60,011.
Wycombe Marsh, 2 miles from AA7ycombe, Bucks ;
P.O. The Wycombe Marsh Paperworks are here.
AVycombe Old Borough, township, Chipping Wy-
combe par., Bucks, wholly within the borough of
AVycombe, 129 ac., pop. 4S34.
AVydale nouse, seat, near Sherburn sta., E. div.
Wyddial, par., Herts, in NE. of co., 1J mile NE.
of Buntingford, 1224 ac., pop. 202; contains AVyddial
AVye.—affluent of river Thames, Bucks; rises in
NW. vicinity of West Wycombe, and flows 9 miles SE.
past Wycombe and Londwater to the Thames near
Hedser.-—2. AVye, river, Derbyshire ; rises near the
Cheshire border, and flows 20 miles E., past Buxton,
Wormhill, Ashford, and Bakewell, to the Derwent at
Rowsley.—3. AVye (or fiwy), river, Wales and West
Midlands of England; rises on Plinlimmon, in NAY. of
Montgomeryshire, flows SE. past Rhayader in Radnor-
shire, Builth and Hay in Brecknockshire, Hereford,
Holm Lacy, and Ross in Herefordshire, Monmouth,
Tintern, and Chepstow in Monmouthshire, and falls
into the Severn 2f miles S. of Chepstow; is 130 miles
long ; is navigable for large vessels to Chepstow, and for
barges to Hay.—4. Wye, market town and par. with
ry. sta., Kent, 4 miles NE. of Ashford J unction and 11
SAY. of Canterbury, 7349 ac., pop. 1543; P.O., T.o.
Market-day, Thursday. The town is situated close to
the river Stour, which is crossed here by a handsome
bridge of 5 arches. The church is a large and hand-
some building, and was rebuilt by Archbishop Kempe,
a native of AVye, in the time of Henry VI. The college
founded here in 1447 is now a grammar school and
charity school for hoys and girls. The manor of Wye
was a very important one, and had jurisdiction over a
wide extent of the county. Several fine residences and
places of interest are in the vicinity of the town.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)