AVyersdale. See AVyresdale.
Wyeston. See AViseton.
Wyfordby, par., Leicestershire, 2 miles E. of Melton
Mowbray, 1350 ac., pop. 104; P.O.
AVyham with Cadeby, par., Lincolnshire, 7 miles
NW. of Louth, 1880 ac., pop. 139.
AVyke.—2 miles SW. of AVeymouth, Dorset; P.O.
See Wyke Regis.—2. Wyke, eccl. dist., Ash and
AVanborough pars., Surrey, lg mile NW. of Guildford,
pop. 548.—3. AVyke, eccl. dist. and ry. sta., Birstal
par., N. div., A\*est-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles SAY. of
Bradford by rail, pop. 4380; forms part of township of
AVike : which see.
Wyke Chanipflower, hamlet, Bruton par., Somer-
set, lg mile SW. of Bruton.
Wyke Green, hamlet, Isleworth par., Middlesex, 1
mile NAY. of Brentford.
AVyke Begis, par., liberty, and vil., Dorset, in S. of
co.—par. (partly within the municipal limits of Wey-
mouth), 1702 ac., pop. 2748, pop. of municipal part
1250; liberty (AVyke Regis and El well), 1336 ac., pop.
1498 ; vil., on an eminence 2 miles SW. of Weymouth;
P.O., called Wyke; the church (15th century) is the
mother church of Weymouth; there is an endowed
Wykcham.—Hants. See Wickham.—2. Wyke-
ham, par. and vil. with ry. sta., North-Riding York-
shire—par., 8248 ac., pop. 554; vil., 6 miles SW. of
Scarborough; P.O. AA ykeliam Abbey, a modern
mansion, occupies the site of a priory founded in 1153.
AAykehain, East, par., Lincolnshire, 7 miles W. of
Louth, 560 ac., pop. 37.
AVyken, par., Warwickshire, 3 miles NE. of Coventry,
670 ac., pop. 121.
Wykin, hamlet, Hinckley par., Leicestershire, 2\
miles NW. of Hinckley.
Wylain, township and vil. (ry. stations Wylam and
North Wylam), Ovingham par., Northumberland—
township, 974 ac. (43 water), pop. 959; vil., on river
Tyne, 8^ miles W. of Newcastle; P.O., T.O.; has a
shot factory, pig-iron blast furnace, coal mining, and
stone quarrying. George Stephenson(1781-1848), the en-
gineer, was a native. In vicinityis AVylam Honse, seat.
AVylde Green, hamlet with ry. sta., in par. and 1
1 mile S. of Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire ; P.O.
AAryllin, Glen, Michael par., Isle of Man, near Kirk-
michael vil.; is traversed by a stream.
AVylye (or AVily), par. and vil. with ry. sta., Wilts
—par., 2279 ac., pop. 487; vil., on river AViley, 7 miles
NW. of Wilton; P.O.; large ancient entrenchments
are in vicinity.
AVymering, par., Hants, at NE. side of Portsmouth
Harbour, 4 miles N. of Portsmouth, 3121 ac. (76 water)
and 752 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 985; contains
parts of Cosham and Potwell vils., also several islets.
The church is ancient, and was restored in 1842.
AVymersley, hundred, Northamptonshire, 35,908 ac.,
pop. 11,368; contains 20 pars.
Wymeswold, 4g miles NE. of Loughborough,
Leicestershire ; P.O. See Wimeswould.
Wymington, par. and vil., on NW. border of Bed-
fordshire, 3 m. S. of Higham Ferrers, 1710 ac., pop. 488.
AVymondham.—market town and par. with ry. sta.,
Norfolk, 10g miles SW. of Norwich and 113g NE. of
London by rail, 10,631 ac., pop. 4566; P.O., T.O., 1
Bank. Market-day, Friday. Wyrcondham is an
ancient place, and had its origin in a priory founded
here in 1107. The town stands on elevated ground,
is irregularly built, and presents an antique appearance.
The church comprises part of the priory, and has been
altered and reconstructed. An interesting old market
cross was replaced in 1863. There is a free grammar
school. The industries of AVymondham include brewing
and the mfrs. of paramattas, nets, satins, and crapes.
A fair for cattle and horses is held here in May.
There are numerous seats in the neighbourhood.—
2. AVymondham, par. and vil., Leicestershire—par.,
2852 ac., pop. 655 ; vil., 6 miles E. of Melton Mowbray ;
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)