go. It is 180 miles long, from west to east, and
50 broad, and pervaded hy a chain of mountains.
The soil is fertile ; and it abounds in fine cattle,
sheep, swine, poultry, and game. The chief pro-
ducts are corn, wine, oil, wool, silk, and honey.
It was taken by the Turks in 1669, after a war of
25 years. It was invaded by the Venetians, in
1692, without effect. Mount Ida, so famous in
history, is in the middle of this island ; beside the
capital of the same name, the other principal
towns are Canea, Retimo, Nuovo, Legortino, and
Setia. Total population about 230,000, in nearly
an equal proportion of Greeks and Turks.
Candia, the capital of the island of the same
name, and the see of a Greek archbishop. Though
populous formerly, little of it remains beside the
walls and the market place; and the harbour is
now fit for nothing but boats. It is seated on the
north side of the island, about 240 m. S. S. W. of
Smyrna. Long. 25. 18. E. lat 35. 19. N. Pop.
Candia, p.t. Rockingham Co. N. IL, 36 m. fr.
Portsmouth. Pop. 1,362.
Candlemas Isles, two islands in the Southern
Ocean, near Sandwich Land. Long. 27. 13. W.
lat. 57. 10. S.
Candor, p.t. Tioga Co. N. Y. 177 m. W. Alba-
ny. Pop. 2,653.
Candy, formerly a kingdom, comprising the
greater part of the interior of the island of Cey-
lon ; the chief town, of the same name, is situate
nearly in the centre of the island, on the banks of
a river called the Malivaganga, which falls into
the sea by several channels on the east side. The
town consists principally of one street about two
miles in length ; the principal buildings being the
former kings palace and the temple of Boodh.
It surrendered to a British force in March 1815,
and was annexed with the whole of the Island
Ceylon, to the British dominions. Candy is about
70 m. E. N. E. of Colombo, and 85 S. W. of Trin-
Canea, a strong town in the island of Candia,
with a good harbour. The environs are adorned
with olive-trees, vineyards, gardens, and brooks,
bordered with myrtle and laurel roses. It was
taken from the Venetians by the Turks, in 1645,
after a defence of two months, in which the vic-
tors lost 25,000 men. It is seated on the north
coast of the island, 63 si. W. by N. of Candia.
Long. 24. 7. E. lat. 35. 27. N.
Caneadea, p.t. Alleghany Co. N. York. Pop.
Candle, a town of Piedmont, at the south ex-
tremity of Asti, 12 rn. S. S. E. of the town of
Asti. Pop. about 3,000.
Canete. (See Cagnete.)
Caneto, a town of Italy, in the Mantuan, seve-
ral times taken and retaken by the French and
Austrians. It is seated on the Oglio, 20 m. W.
Canfield, p.t. Trumbull Co. Ohio.
Canga, a town of the kingdom of Congo, on
the river Zaire, 280 m. N. E. of St. Salvador.
Long. 17. 10. E. lat. 2. 10. S.
Cangiano, a town of Naples, in Principato Cite-
riore, 40 m. E. by S. of Salerno.
Cangoxima, a strong seaport of Japan, on the
most southern verge of the isle of Ximo, or Kiusiu,
with a commodious harbour. At the entrance of
the haven is a light-house, on a lofty rock ; and
at the foot of the rock is a convenient road for
shipping. Here are large and sumptuous maga-
zines, belonging to the emperor, some of which
are proof against fire. Long. 132. 15. E. lat. 32
Canina, a town of European Turkey, in Alba
nia, near the entrance of the Gull of Venice, 8 m
S. E. of Avlona.
Caniseha, a strong town of Lower Hungary. I
was taken, in 1600, by* the Turks, who held it tils
1690, when it was taken by the Austrians, after a
blockade of two years, and ceded to the emperor
by the peace cf Carlowitz. It is seated on the
bank of a small lake, 12 m. N. of the Drave River
and 85 m. S. S. W. of Raab. Long. 17. 10. E
lat. 46. 30. N.
Canisteo, p.t. Steuben Co. N. Y., 260 m. S. W.
Albany. Pop. 620.
Canna, one of the Hebrides of Scotland, S. W
of the Isle of Skye. It is four miles long and one
broad; the high parts producing excellent pasture
for cattle, and the low is tolerably fertile. Here
are many basaltic columns. On the S. E. side
of Canna is Sand Island, separated by a narrow
channel; and between them is a well frequented
harbour. Long. 6. 38. W. lat. 57. 13. N.
Cannes, or Cagnes, a small seaport at the S. E.
extremity of France, distinguished as the place
of debarkation of Napoleon from Elba, on the 1st
of March, 1815. It is about 6 m. S. W. of Nice.
Canobia, a town of Italy, in the Milanese, on
the lake Maggiore, 35 m. N. N. W. of Milan.
Canoge, a town of Hindoostan, in the province
of Agra. It is said to have been the capital of
all Hindoostan, under the predecessor of Porus.
who fought against Alexander; and that in the
6th century it contained 30,000 shops in which
betel-nut was sold. It is now reduced to the size
of a middling town, and seated on the Calini, near
its conflux with the Ganges, 110 m. E. by S. of
Agra. Long. 80. 13. E. lat. 27. 3. N.
Canonsburg, p.t. AVashington Co. Pa. 18 m. S.
W. Pittsburg. Here is a be mi nary, founded in
1802, called Jefferson College. It has 7 instruct-
ers,120 students, and a library of 2,500 vols.
There are 2 vacations in May and October. Com-
mencement is in September, The town has an
elevated and pleasant situation.
Canosa, a town of Naples, in Terra di Bari,
which stands on part of the site of the ancient
Canusium, one of the most magnificent cities of
Italy. Between Canosa and the river Ofanto are
still some traces of the ancient town of Canons,
in the plain of which wins fought the celebrated
battle between Hannibal and the Romans, where-
in the latter lost 45,000 men. Canosa is 4 m.
W. by N. ofTrani.
Canoul, a town of Hindoostan, in Golconda,
capital of a circar of the same name, seated on
the south bank of the Toombudra River, 110 m.
S. S. W. of Hydrabad. Long. 78. 7. E. lat.
15. 48. N.
Canourgwe, a town of France, in the depart-
ment of Lozere, with a trade in cattle and woolen
stuffs, seated near the Lot, 13 m. S. W. of Mende.
Canco, a seaport at the S. E. extremity of Nova
Scotia. Near the town is a fine fishery for cod.
Long. 60. 55. W. lat. 45. 20. N.
Canso, Gut of, a strait about 25 m. in length
and from a half to a mile wide, between the east
end of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, leading
from the Atlantic Ocean through Chedabucto
Bay into St. Georges Bay, in the Gulf of St.
Canstadt, a town of Suabia, in the kingdom of
Wurtemburg, with a manufacture of printed
cottons. In the neighbourhood are some me