River, 105 m. S. of Albany. Pop. 3,486. Also
the name of a township in Addison county, Ver-
,mont. Pop. 1,264 ; and of a town in Litchfield
County, Connecticut. Pop. 1,712.
Cornwall, a town of Storrnoht County, Upper
Canada, situate on the north bunk of the St. Law-
rence, about 50 m. above Montreal.
Cornwall, New, a county in the western part of
N. America, extending from Gardner's channel,
in lat. 53. 15., to Fredericks Sound, lat. 57. 6. N.
Cormoallis, a town of Nova Scotia, seated on
the south shore of the basin of mines at the head
of the Bay of Fundy, about 10 m. N. W. of
Windsor and 45 N. W. of Halifax.
Cornwallis, a county of Lower Canada, extend-
ing for about 160 miles along the S. E. bank of
the great River St. Lawrence, bounded on the
N E. by the district of Gaspe. It is at present
but thinly inhabited.
Coro, a town of Colombia, in the province of
Venezuela. It is advantageously situate at the en-
trance of an isthmus, at about an equal distance
from the Carribean Sea, and the Gulf of Mara-
caibo. It contains about 10,000 inhabitants, who
carry on a considerable trade in mules, cattle, &c.
with'Curagao and other islands, in the Cariibean
Sea. See Venezuela.
Coromandel, Coast of, the eastern coast of the
peninsula of Hindoostan, extending from Point
Calvmere in the lat. of 10. 18. N. to the Kistnah
River, in the lat. of 16. N. There is not a port
for large ships on the whole coast, which is an
even, low, sandy country. Madras is the prin-
cipal town, and the other places of note are
Negapatam, Pondicherry, Pullicate, Ac.
Coron, a seaport of Independent Creeec, in the
Morea, seated on the W. side of a bay to which
it gives name, 15 m.*E. of iViodon. Long. 21. 46.
E., lat. 36. 55. N.
Coronation, Cape, a cape of the island of New
Caledonia, in the Pacific Ocean. Long. 167. 8.
E., lat. 22.5. S.
Correggio, a town of Italy, in the Modonese,
with a castle, 9 m. N. N. E. of Reggio.
Correze, an interior department of France, con-
taining the late province of Limousin. It takes
its name from a river which runs into the Vezere,
after having watered Tulles and Brives. Tulles
is the capital.
Corricntes, Cape, on the E. coast of South
Africa, opposite the S. end of the island of Mad-
agascar.xe2x80x94Also the name of another cape on the
W. coast of Mexico, in the Pacific Ocean, in the
lat. of 20. N.
Corriealts, a town of Paraguay, with a fort,
seated on the E. side of the Parana, at the influx
of the river Paraguay, 490 m. N. of Buenos
Ayres. Iv>ng. 59. 0. W. lat. 27. 30. S.
CorrtrrrAusn. a dangerous whirlpool on the W.
coast or Scotland, between the Isle of Scarba and
the N. point of that of Jura. It is so named
from a young Danish prince, who perished in
this place. Its vortex extends above a mile in
Corsham. a town in Wiltshire, Eng. and a con-
siderable woolen manufacture. It is nine miles
E. N. E. of Bath, and 97 W. of London. Pop.
in 1821, 2,727.
Corsica, or Corse, an island in the Mediterrane-
an, separated from that of Sardinia, on the south, by
the Strait of Bonifacio. It is 150 miles from
north to south, and from 40 to 50 in breadth. It
was known to the ancient Greeks, by the names
of Callista and Cvrnus, and to the Romans by its
present appellation. On the coast are many ex
cellent harbours. It is mountainous, but fruitfu,
valleys are interspersed; and it has some fine
lakes and rivers. In the earliest time it has been
famous for its swarms of bees, and produces vast
quantities of honey, which, however, is reckoned
bitter, on account of the box and yew with which
the country aboumS. The mountains are rich
in lead, iron, copper, and silver ; and there are
also mines of alum and saltpetre. The granite
of Corsica is nearly equal to the oriental; por
phyries, jasper, talc, amianthus, emeralds, and
other precious stones, are found scattered in the
mountains, and the south coast abounds with
beautiful corah This island was, for some cen
turies, under the dominion of the Genoese, whose
tyranny was such, that the Corsicans were almost
in a perpetual state of insurrection. In 1736 a
German adventurer, Theodore Baron Newhoff,
brought some assistance to them; and, on his as-
surance of more powerful aid, they elected him
king ; but as he could not substantiate his prom-
ises he was obliged to leave the island. He went
into England, was thrown into the Fleet prison,
released by an act of insolvency, (after having
registered his kingdom of Corsica for the benefit
of his creditors,) and suffered to die in extreme
indigence. The Genoese, tired of the contest,
sold the sovereignty to France, in 1767; and
Paoli, who had been elected to the chief com
mand, in 1755, was obliged to abandon the island
in 1769. After the French revolution in 1789
Corsica was admitted as an eighty-third depart-
ment of France at the particular request of a de-
putation, of which Paoli was at the head. In
consequence of some events which followed the
revolution of 1792, Paoli revolted ; the French,
by the assistance of the English, were expelled
from the island; and Corsica, in 1794, was de-
clared annexed to the crown of Great Britian.
In 1796, however, the English found it expedient
to evacuate the island, of which the French im-
mediately took possession, and again united it to
France, of which country it now forms the eighty
sixth department. It is divided into four prefec-
tures, viz. Bastia, Calvi, Corte, and Sartenne
Ajaccio, on the wes coast, Is the principal sea-port
Pop. about 180,000.
10 11 12 13 14
iAiAu 1.9 IWC
Corsocr, a town of Denmark, in the isle of
Zealand, on a peninsula, in the Great Belt, with
a good harbour for light vessels. It is defended
by a citadel, which serves also as a magazine for
corn; and is 54 miles W. S. W. of Copenhagen.
Long 11. 12. E. lat. 55. 12. N.
Corte, a town of Corsica, situate in the centre
of the island, on the side and foot of a rock, at the
confluence of the Tayignano and Restonica. On
the point of a rock, rising above the rest, is the cas-
tle, to which there is but one winding passage,
that will admit only two persons abreast. While
the island was in the possession of the English,
Corte was made the seatjff the viceroy; and it has
been enlarged and fortified by the French. It is
27 miles N. E. of Ajaccio, and 40 S. W. of Bastia
Pop. in 1826, 2,735.
Cortemiglia, a town of Piedmont, in Montferrat,
situate on the Bormida, 16 miles E. of Cherasco.
Cortona, a fortified iown of Tuscany, and a
bishops see, with a famous academy. It stands
on a mountain, on the frontiers of the Ecclesias-
tical States, 32 m. E. of Sienna.
Corunna, a seaport at the N. W. of Spain, in
Galicia, with a large and safe harbour, called the
Groyne, defended by two castles. The town is