the Oglio, about a quarter of a mile from the Po,
over which is a bridge of boats, defended by a
fort. A canal passes through the town, and forms
a communication between the two rivers. Cre-
mona has been several times taken. It has con-
siderable manufactures of silk, and is peculiarly
celebrated for the manufactures of violins. A
tower, 372 feet in height, forms a prominent ob-
ject over all the surrounding country. The Ro-
mans established themselves here in 291. B. C.
It is 43 m. S. of Milan, and about the same dis-
tance S. by W. of Mantua. Pop. about 30,000.
Cremonese Territory, extends from the south in
a W. N. W. direction, for about 45 miles, be-
tween the River Po on the south, which divides
it from the Duchy of Parma, and the Oglio on
the north, which divides it from Bresciano ; the
east end borders on the Duchy of Mantua, and the
west on the small district of Cremasco. It is a
very fertile country.
Cremsier, a town of Moravia, with a fine castle
and a convenU seated on the west bank of the
River Marsch, 18 m. S. S. E. of Olmutz.
Crepy, a town of France in the department of
Oise, 17 m. S. of Compiegne.
xe2x80xa2 Cresapsburg, p.v. Alleghany Co. Maryland.
Creseentino, a fortified town of Piedmont, on
the north bank of the River Po, 20 m. N. E. of
Cressy pr Crecy, a village of France, in the de-
partment of Somme, celebrated for the victory
over the French, gained by Edward III. in 1346.
It is 32 m. N. AV. of Amiens.
Crest, a town of France in the department of
Drome, on the River Drome, 16 m. S. S. E. of
Creveldt, a town of Germany, at the north ex-
tremity of the territory of Cologne. Near this
place the French were defeated by the Hano-
verians in 1758. It has considerable manufac-
tures of linen. It is 32 m. N. N. W. of Cologne,
and 7 from Dusseldorf. Pop. about 700.
Creuse, an interior department nearly in
the centre of France, so named from a river,
which crossed from south to north, and flows in-
to the Vienne. It contains the late province of
Marche. Gueret is the capital.
Creusen, a town of Franconia, in the princi-
pality of Bayreuth, seven miles east of Bay-
Creutzbury, a town of Silesia, in the principali-
ty of Brieg, with a castle. It has a great trade
in honey, wax, leather, and flax; and is seated
on the Brinnitz, 35 m. E. by N. of Brieg.
Creutznaeh, a town of Germany, in the cir-
cle of Upper Rhine. It has a trade in wine, salt,
corn, wool, and tobacco. On Dec. 2,1795, this
town was taken three times ; first, by the French,
then by the Austrians, and again by the former.
It is seated on the Nahe, 25 m. S. W. of Mentz.
Creickeme, a town in Somersetshire, Eng. In
1825 it had six considerable establishments for
the manufacture of sail-cloth. It is seated near a
branch of the Parret, 25 m. S. of Wells, and 132
W. S. W. of London. Pop. in 1821, 3,021.
Creiesrille, ph. Goochland Co, Va.
Cricktith, a town of Wales, in Caernarvon-
shire, 18 m. S. S. E. of Caernarvon, and 244 N.
W. of London.
Crickhowdl, a town of Wales, in Brecknock-
shire. Near it are the ruins of an ancient castle.
It is seated on the Usk, 10 m. S. E. of Brecknock,
and 153 W. by N. of London. Pop. in 1821,
Cricklade, a borough in AViltshire, Eng. seated
near the Thames, and the Stroud Canal, 25 m
W. by S. of Oxford, and 84 W. by N. of London.
Pop. in 1821,1,506.
Crief, a town of Scotland, in Perthshire, with
manufactures of paper and thin linen, seated on
the Erne, 18 m. AV. of Perth.
Crim, a town of the Crimea, supposed to be on
the site of an ancient city that once gave its
name of Crim Tartary, or Crimea, to the whole
peninsula of the Taurida; after having, under
the name of Crimmerium, been the capital of a
famous people, who gave laws to the greatest
part of Europe. The modern town called Esk:
Krim (Old Crim) by the Tartars, is seated at
the foot of an insulated mountain, 10 m. AV. of
Crimea, or Taurida, the ancient Taurica Cher-
sonesus, a peninsula of Europe, bounded on the
south and west by the Black Sea, north by the
province of Catharinenslaf, with which it com-
municates by the isthmus of Prekop, and east hy
the Sea of Asoph and the Strait of Caffa. To-
wards the end of the 11th century the Genoese
settled in this country, but they were expelled
by the Crim Tartars in 1474. See Caffa. These
Tartars had been settled in the Crimea above
two centuries before the expulsion of the Gen-
oese. They were subjects of Batu Khan, grand-
son of Zingis ; and their conquest was annexed
to the kingdom of Kasan, till the death of Tamer-
lane in 1400, when Edegai Khan, an officer of
that prince, took possession of it, and was suc-
ceeded by Duelet Cherai, in whose family the sov-
ereignity continued till the 18th century. The
Khans however, were vassals, or tributary to
the Turks, till the year 1774, when their inde-
pendence was stipulated in the treaty of Gainargi.
In 1783 the Russians took possession of the coun
try with an army; the following year it was ced-
ed to them by the Turks ; and the peaceable pos-
session of the whole was secured to them in 1791
by the cession of the fortress of Oczakow. The
Crimea is divided into twin parts by the river
Salgir, which rnns from west to east. The north
division is flat, poor, and fit for pasturage only.
It has neither tree nor hillock; salt lakes and
flocks of sheep are its greatest riches. This dis-
trict is bleak and cold in winter, and sultry and
scorching in summer. The south part is moun-
tainous ; but the valleys are astonishingly pro
ductive. and the climate extremely mild, from
the exclusion of those violent winds hy which
the north division is frequently incommoded.
The lower hills, extending from Caffa to the east
extremity of the country, are principally used in
gardening, and produce excellent fruit. Besides
the port of Kertch, the road of Caffa, and the
harbour of Balaclava, there is, near Sebastopol,
one of the finest harbours in the world The
principal articles of export are corn, salt, hon-
ev, wax, butter, horses, female slaves, hides, and
furs, especially the Tauric lamb-skins, which are
in high esteem. The Crimea now forms one of
the two provinces of the government of Catha-
rinenslaf. under the name of Taurida. Symphe
rodol is the capital. See Russia.
Croatia, a province of the Austrian Empire,
bounded on the N. by the river Drave, which se-
parates it from Lower Hungary, extending south
for about 160 miles to the Adriatic : the Save
intersects it from the west in an E. S. E. direc-
tion, parallel with the Drave, at a distance oi
about forty-five miles; the part north of the Save