Greece, in Livadia, once famous for the oracle of
Apollo, which people came from all parts to
consult. It is seated in a valley near Mount
Parnassus, 18 m. W. S. W. of Livadia and now
Delphi, p.v. Onondaga Co. N. Y., also a p.t
jn Marian Co. Ten.
Del Rey, a tract of country on the coast of Brazil,
about 100 miles wide, and 800 from north to south,
between the mountains of Paraguay and the
Atlantic ocean. At its south extremity are two
lakes, called de los Petos and Mini, each about
160 miles long, and from 10 to 50 broad, with a
fort at each end. The principal place on this
extensive coast is the island of St. Catherine, in
the lat. of 27. 30. S. This coast is now princi-
pally included in the province of Rio Grande.
Delsbury, a town of Switzerland in the late
bishopric of Basil, on the river Birs, 10 m. N.
W. of Soleure.
Delta, a part of Lower Egypt, inclosed between
the mouth of the Nile and the Mediterranean;
so called, it is supposed by some, from its trian-
gular form reseipbling the Greek letter of that
name, and by others, as implying a maritime and
swampy district. hence, the term Delta is now
generally applied to the mouths of all great rivers
having diverging branches, such as the Indus,
Ganges, Mississippi, &c.
Delvino, a town of Lower Albania, seated about
15 miles from the coast of the Adriatic, opposite
Corfu. It is the residence of a pacha, and is
Dembea, xc2xa3n interior province of Abyssinia, of
which Emfras is the capital, in the lat. of 12. N.
and 37. 30. E. long. In the centre of the province
is a lake, supposed to he 450 m. in circumference,
and contains many islands, one of which is a place
of confinement for state prisoners. Its waters
appear to form one of the principal sources of the
Nile; but this part of Africa is at present very
Demerara, a river and plantation of South
America. The entrance to the river is in the lat.
of 6. 48. N. and 58. 2. of W. long. It is naviga-
ble for about 100 m. inland, and at its entrance
forms a very commodious harbour, impeded how-
ever by a bar, not admitting- vessels drawing
more than 18 feet of water. The plantations lie
on both banks of the river. They were original-
ly formed by the Dutch, but fell into the hands
of the English in 1796 ; restored at the peace of
Amiens in 1802; retaken on the renewal of the
war in the following year, and confirmed to Eng-
land at the general peace in 1814; since which
the cultivation has been greatly extended, and
next to Jamaica, is now the most populous and
productive of all the British colonies in the West
Indies and South America.
Demiunskoi, a town of Siberia, in the govern-
ment of Tobolsk, seated on the Irtysh, at the
influx of the Demianha, 100 m. N. N. E. of
Demmln, a fortified town of Anterior Pomera-
nia, seated on the banks of the Ribnitz, 27 m. S.
of Stralsund. Pop. about 3,000.
Demons, a town and fort of Piedmont, on the
river Stura, 10 m. S. W. of Coni.
Demons Val. See Dimona.
Demotica, or Donwtica, a town of European
Turkey, in Romania, where a Greek archbishop
resides. It was the residence of Charles XII.
for some years; and is situate near the Marisca,
12 m. S. of Adrianople.
Denain, a village of France, in the department,
of Nord, where a victory was gained over prince
Eugene, by Marshal Villars in 1712. It is seated
on the Scheldt, 6 m. S. W. of Valenciennes.
Denbigh, a borough of North Wales, capital of
Denbighshire. Its ruined castle, with its vast in-
closure crowning the top of the hill, forms a
striking object. Denbigh has a considerable
manufacture of gloves and shoes. It is situate op
the side of a rocky hill, above the vale of Clywd,
on a branch of the river of that name, 27 miles
west of Chester, 5 S. of St. Asaph, and 218 N.
W. of London. Pop. in 1821, 3,195. It returns
one member to parliament.
Denbighshire, a county of North Wales bounded
on the north by the Irish sea, north-east by Flint-
shire, east by Cheshire, south by Salop, Merio-
neth and Montgomeryshires, and west by the river
Conway, which separates it from Caenarvon-
shire. It is 48 miles long from south to west, and
20 in its broadest part, but its mean breadth does
not exceed 14 miles. This county contains some
picturesque and beautiful scenery, besides the
the Conway, the Clywd and Elwy also fall into
the Irish sea, whilst the Dee, running in a mean-
dering course from east to west, intersects all the
south part of the county; and the vale of Clywd,
for 20 miles in extent, is deservedly celebrated
for its fertility as well as for its picturesque
beauty. Its surplus product consists principally
of cattle and butter, a partial supply of grain,
some wool, &c. Ac. by which the rent-tax, state
and local exactions are discharged. It contains
veins of both coal and lead, but the mines are
very partially worked. Besides the borough of
Denbigh, the other principal towns are Wrexham,
Ruthin, Abergely, and Llhangolen.
Dender, a river of the Netherlands, which rises
in Hainault, flows by Leuze, Ath, Lessines,
Grammont, Ninove, and Alost, and joins the
Scheldt at Dendermond.
Dendera, a town of Egypt, the residence of an
Arabian prince who takes the title of Emir. It
was anciently cplled Tentyra, and from the ruins
that are seen appears to have been a large city.
This place supplies most part of Egypt with char-
coal. It is seated near the west bank of the Nile,
260 miles S. by E. of Cairo. Long. 31. 58. E., lat.
26. 15. N.
Dendermond, a fortified town of the Nether-
lands, in Flanders, with a strong citadel. It was
taken by the allies in 1706, and the Dutch put a
garrison into it as one of the barrier towns. The
French took it in 1745, and again in 1794.- It is
surrounded by marshes and fine meadows which
can be covered with water, and seated at the con
flux of the Dender with the Scheldt, 16 miles E.
of Ghent. Pop. about 6,000. Its name is ren-
dered immortal by Sterne in his tale of Lefevre.
Denia, a seaport of Spain, in Valencia. The
entrance into the harbour is difficult, and the chief
trade is in almonds and raisins. It stands at the
foot of a mountain, 47 miles N. E. of Alicant.
Long. 0. 2. E., lat. 38. 50. N.
Denis, St., or St. Denys, a town of France, in
the department of Paris. The abbey of the Ben-
edictines, to which the town owes its rise, has
the appearance of a palace. Here is an ancient
and magnificent church, in which were the tombs
of many of the French kings, and in the treasury,
among other curiosities, the sword of St. Louis
and the Maid of Orleans, and the sceptre of
Charlemagne. In 1793, after the abolition of roy-
alty, the royal tombs in the church were all de