ton and Falmouth vie with it, as points of egress
and ingress to and from foreign parts, and since
the application of steam to purposes of navigation,
numerous visitors to and from France now pro-
ceed and arrive direct from and to the Thames at
London, who used formerly to pass by way of
Dover. Dover is, however, still (1831) the medi-
um of conveyance for the mails, and of all mes-
sengers and travellers intent on despatch, between
England and France, for whose accommodation
packets proceed to and from Calais with every
tide, and the intercourse is still very great, consti-
tuting the chief support of the town. It ex-
tends for near a mile along the shore, and is divi-
ded into two parts ; the eastern part is called the
town, at the extremity of which, on an eminence,
is the castle, supposed to have been first founded
by Julius Caesar, the west part is called the pier,
and is overhung by a range of chalk cliffs, which
seem to threaten an immediate overwhelming of
all below; the heights 300 to 350 feet, above the
level of the sea, are fortified with trenches, subter-
raneous works and casements for the accommoda-
tion of 2,000 men, and in clear weather present
fine prospects of the coast of France. Dover is
one of the (five) cinque ports vested with peculiar
privileges : by the 32 Hen. VIII. cap. 48. On
condition of furnishing a number of ships equip-
ped and manned for the national defence, one of
the privileges was, each port returning two mem-
bers to parliament, by the title of Barons of the
Cinque Ports. Dpver post office is 71 m. S. S. E.
of London Bridge, by way of Canterbury, from
which it is distant 16 miles. It is divided into two
parishes, with two weekly markets on Wednes-
days and Saturdays. The castle is a very exten-
sive edifice, and interesting from its antiquity, and
the historical events connected with it; besides
the castle and two churches, the other public
buildings are a town hall, theatre, military hospi-
tal, victualling office, and custom house : the busi-
ness of the latter is confined almost exclusively to
the inspecting the baggage ofthe passengers arriv-
ing by the packets. The harbour will admit ships
of500 tons burthen; but the town carries on little
or no foreign trade. Pop. in 1811, 9,074, and in
Dover, ph. Penobscot Co. Me. Pop. 1,042.
Dover, ph. Strafford Co. N. H. 10 m. fr. Ports-
mouth on the falls of the Cocheco, a stream run-
ning into the Piscataqua. The falls have several
pitches, one of which is 40 feet perpendicular, af-
fording a vast water power, which has been ap-
plied to manufacturing purposes. The cotton
manufactories produce 10,000 yards of shirting
a week. The iron works roll and slit 1,000 tons
of iron annually, and make 700 tons of nails. New
establishments are also in progress, and the mill
sites here are numerous. Dover is one of the
oldest towns La the state. Pop. 5,449.
Dover, p.t. Norfolk Co. Mass. Pop. 497.
Dover, p.t. Dutchess Co. N. V. Pop. 2,198.
Dover, ph. Kent Co. Del., the capital of the
state of Delaware. It is situated upon a small
stream falling into the Delaware, and is hand-
somely laid out and ballt. The houses are mostly
of brick and in the centre of the town is a spacious
square surrounded by the State House and public
%* There are six other towns called Dover in
the United States, viz. in Monmouth Co. N. J.,
York Co. Pa., Cuyahoga. Athens and Tuscarawas
Cos. Ohio and Stuart Co. Ten.
Douglas, a village of Lanarkshire, Scotland,
seated on a river of the same name, falling into
the Clyde, 29 m. S. S. E. of Glasgow on the road
to Carlisle. Pop. in 1821,2,195.
Douglas, the chief town of the Isle of Man,
seated at the mouth of two united streams, on the
E. side ofthe island, in the lat. of54. 4. N. and 4.
36. of W. long. Pop. in 1821, 6,054. See Man.
Douglas, ph. Worcester Co. Mass. Pop. 1,742
Douglas, Cape, a promontory on the W. coast
of America, the AV. point of the entrance to
Cooks Inlet. Its summit forms two very high
mountains. Long. 153. 30. W lat. 58.56. N.
Doulaincourt, a town of France, in the depart-
ment of Upper Marne, 10 m. S. W. of Joinville.
Doullens, a town of France in the deparment
of Somme, with two citadels ; seated on the Autie,
15 m. N. of Amiens; it is the seat of a prefect.
Pop. in 1825, 3,504.
Doune, Donn, or Donne, a town of Scotland, in
the parish of Kilmadock, Perthshire, with the ru-
in of a huge square castle, whose tower is yet full
80 feet in height. Here is a manufacture of pis-
tols; also an extensive work called the Adelphicot-
ton-mill. It is seated on the Teih, 8 m. N. W.
of Sterling, and 32 S. W. of Perth. In 1821 the
parish contained 3,150 inhabitants.
Dourdan, a town of France, in the department
of Seine and Oise, with a manufacture of silk and
worsted stockings : seated on the Orge, 25 m. S.
W. of Paris.
Douro, a river of the Peninsula, rising near So-
ria, in old Castile, in the long, of 2. 30. W. It
rises to the W. of Soria, and from thence runs S.
for about 20 miles, when it takes a course nearly
due W. past Aranda into Leon, past Zamora to
the frontier ofthe Portuguese province of Trazos
Montes; it then takes a course S. S. W. past Mi-
randa, and for about 60 miles forms the boundary
between Leon in Spain and Tras os Montes: it
then takes a course N. by AV. dividing the latter
province and-Entre Douroe Minho from Beira.fall-
ing into the sea a short distance below Oporto.
The meridional distance from its source to its en-
trance into the sea is about 300 miles, while the
course of the stream will be near 400 miles ; it re-
ceives numerous tributary streams both from the
N. and S.
Dowlatabad, formerly called Amednagur, a
province of the Deccan of Hindoostan; intersect-
ed by the Godavery river, bounded on the N. by
Candeish, W. by the Gauts, S. by Visiapour and
Golconda, and E. by Berar. Aurungabad is the
Dowlatabad, one of the celebrated hill-forts
of Hindoostan, and formerly the capital of the
preceding province. The fort is 420 feet above
the level of the plain. In the beginning of the 14th
century the Emperor Mahomet III. caused a great
number of the inhabitants of Dehli, to emigrate S.of
the Godavery river, and attempted to make Dow-
latabad the seat of government of his empire, but
the project did not succeed, and his successor re-
turned to the ancient capital Dowlatabad never-
theless continued an important place and capital
of the province, until the time of Aurungzebe,
who fixed his residence at Aurungabad (which
see), about 10 miles to the S.; it is now included
in the territories of the Nizam of the Deccan.
Down, a maritime county on the N. E. coast of
Ireland, opposite to the Isle of Man, it is bounded
on the N. by the Lough of Belfast, which divides
it from the county of Antrim, S. by Carlingford
Bay, which divides it from the county of Ixmth
and on the AV. it is bounded by the county of Ar