a ruined fortress, and a good harbour on the gulf
of Venice, 50 m. N. of Alvona. Long. 19.30. E.
lat. 41. 25. N. Pop. about 5,000.
Durbunga, a town of Hindoostan, in Bahar,
near the Gogarv, 50 m. N. E. of Patna.
Durbuy, a town of the Netherlands, in Luxem-
burg, seated on the Ourthe, 25 m. S. by W. of
Liege, and about the same distance E. by S. of
Duren, or Dairen, a town of the Prussian states
ofthe Rhine, on the E. bank of the Roer, in the
duchy of Juliers, 15 m. E. of Aix-la-Chapelle.
Pop. about 4,700.
Durham, a maritime county, on the N. E. coast
of England, bounded tpn the S. and S. W. by the
river Tees, which divides it from Yorkshire ; the
western extremity of the county jets upon West-
moreland and Cumberland, and the rivers Der-
went and Tyne divide it from Northumberland
on the N.; the line of the coast from the mouth
of the Tees to the Tyne, is about 32 miles, but
in its extreme extent from N. to S. the distance
is 36 miles, and from E. to W. about 40 miles;
being, however of a triangular form, its superfi-
cial area does not exceed 1,061 square miles. All
the W. part of the county is mountainous, some
of the peaks rising upwards of 2,000 feet above
the level of the sea: from these mountains rises
the river Wear, which by its circuitous course
and collateral streams, waters all the interior
parts of the county. The chief characteristic of
this county, is the coal mines, which yield about
two million tons annually, chiefly for the supply
of London, and the E. and S. E. parts of Eng-
land. The river and coasts abound in salmon
* and ot^er excellent fish, while the E. and S. E.
parts oi'the county yield a surplus of agricultural
produce, both in grain and cattle : it owns also a
considerable extent of shipping, employed chiefly
in the conveyance of its coal, the value of which,
including the freight and its supply of agricul-
tural produce, together with some lead, iron, and
mill-stones, constitute an exchangeable amount,
exceeding xc2xa31,000,000 per annum. The principal
towns besides the capital of the same name, are
Stockton, Darlington, and Bernard castle, on the
N. bank of the Tees; Gateshead, and South
Shields on the S. bank of the Tyne ; Monk Wear-
mouth, Bishops Wearmouth, and Sunderland,
at the mouth of the Wear; Bishops Auckland,
Chester-le-Street, &c. in the interior.
Durham. City, the chief place, and capital of
the preceding county, is seated on the banks of
the river Wear, about the centre of the county,
on the line of the great high road from London
to Edinburgh, 10 miles from the sea in a direct
line, about 20 from the mouth of the Wear by
the course of the stream, 14 from the Tyne at
Newcastle, 19 from the Tees at Darlington, 242
in a meridional line, and 255 by the line of road
N. by W. of London. It was created a bishops
see, by a king of Northumberland prior to the
conquest, who out of devotion conferred the
whole county of Durham upon St. Cuthbert, a
monk of Landisfarne, its first bishop, and his suc-
cessors for ever. This grant was confirmed by
William the Norman Conqueror, who constitu-
ted it a principality, or county palatine ; hence
the county is sometimes designated the principal-
ity of Durham ; and the revenue of the see jus-
tifies the appellation, it being the richest in Eng-
land. The cathedral was founded towards the
close of the 11th century, and is a magnificent ed-
ifice, upwards of 400 feet in length, seated on
an eminence 80 feet above the surface of the river;
the principal tower is 214 feet in height. Besides
the cathedral there are six other churches, three
of them fine edifices, two Roman catholic, and
several dissenting places of worship. Durham
has also a stately castle, founded by William the
Norman, now the bishops palace, and several
public buildings more immediately belonging to
the city; while the goal, house of correction,
courts and governors house for county* purposes,
have all been recently rebuilt in a handsome
style. There are three bridges over the river;
and on the whole, the city of Durham presents a
very interesting and imposing aspect and is cele-
brated in several pages of English history. It re-
turns two members to parliament; market on
Thursday ; it has no manufacture, of importance.
Pop. in 1801, 7,530, and in 1821, 9,822.
Durham, p.t. Strafford Co. N. H. 11 m. fr.
Portsmouth. Pop. 1,606. Also a p.t. Cumber
land Co. Me. Pop. 1,731. Also a p.t. Middlesex
Co. Conn. Pop. 1,116. Also a p.t. Green Co. N
Y. Pop. 3,039. Also a township of Bucks Co.
Durhheim, a town of Germany, in the palati-
nate of the Rhine ; seated on the river Hardt, 17
m. S. W. of Worms.
Durhheim, or Turkheim, a town of France, in
the department of Upper Rhine, where the French
gained a victory over the Austrians in 1675. It
is 4 m. N. W. of Colmar.
Durlach, a town Suabia, capital of Baden-Dur-
lach, with a castle. It was formerly the seat of
government of the grand Duke of Baden, who
transferred his residence to Carlshrue, since the
peace of 1814. Here are manufactures of porce-
lain, cloth, and stuffs. It is seated on the Gies-
sen, 15 miles N. N. E. of Baden. Long. 8. 35.
E.. lat. 48. 58. N. Pop. about 8,000.
Dursley, a corporate town in Gloucestershire,
Eng. In 1821 it had 3 establishments for draw-
ing of wire, 4 for the manufacture of carding ma-
chines, and 4 for the manufacture of woolen cloths,
it had formerly a castle. It is 13 m. S. W. of
Gloucester, 20 AV. of Cirencester, and 108 from
London. Pop. in 1821, 3,186.
Durtal, a town of France, in the department
of Mayenne and Loire. The chief trade is tan-
ning. It is 16 m. N. E. of Angers.
Dusky Bay, a bay on the S. W. coast of New
Zealand, in the Pacific Ocean. The country here
is steep, and the hills near the sea-side are cover-
ed with intricate and impenetrable forests. Abun-
dance of excellent refreshments are found here
and it contains several coves and harbours. Long
166.18. E., lat. 45. 47. S.
Dusseldorf, a strong city of Westphalia, capital
of the duchy of Berg. Contiguous to the palace
is a celebrated gallery of paintaings. Dussledorf
was taken by the French in 1795. It is seated on
the river Dussel, near the Rhine, 25 m. S. of Wes-
sel. It was included in the sessions to P-ussia m
1815, and is now the capital of a circ.t with
about 356,000 inhabitants : that of the town about
20,000. Long. 6. 40. E., lat. 51. 12. N.
Dutchess, a county of N. Y., extending for 45
m. along the E. bank of the Hudson river, and 22
in breadth. Poughkeepsie, the chief town, seat-
ed near the banks of the river, is 60 m. N. of the
city of N. Y., and 73 S. of Albany. Pop. 50,926.
Dutton, a township in Penobscot Co. Me. Pop.
Duxbury, t. Washington Co. Vt. Pop. 652.
Duxbury, a town of Massachusetts, in Plvmouth