E. toW.; and the Dutch the coast off the mouth
of the Scheldt; the whole country was overrun
by the French in the early part of the war which
commenced in 1793, and confirmed to them by
the treaty of Campo Formio in 1797. After
the treaty of Luneville in 1801,Austrian and Dutch
Flanders were divided into two departments;
Lys on the W. and Scheldt on the E. and incor-
porated with the French Empire. At the gener-
al partitioning of this part of Europe,which fallow-
ed the peace of 1814, those two departments were
ceded to the new kingdom of the Netherlands,
and were called the East and West Flanders.
For their subsequent history, see Netherlands. The
area of the E. part comprises about 1,080 square
m., and contains about 600,000 inhabitants. It is
divided into four circles, of which Ghent, Dender-
monde, Oudenarde and Eecloo, are the chief
towns; the other places of note are Sluys, Arden-
berg, Phillipina, and Sas Van Ghent on the shore
of the mouth of the Scheldt; and Deynse, Ren-
aix, Grammont,-Sotteghem, Alost, and Watteren
in the S. The river Scheldt which rises in the
French department, of Aisne enters the S. W.
corner running N. by E. to Ghent in the centre
of the province, and then nearly due E. till it
changes its course to the N. forming the bounda-
ry ofthe province on the side of Brabant; towards
the S. the surface is slightly undulated, but north-
ward it is an entire level intersected by canals,
communicating both with the North Sea and the
mouth of the Scheldt.
West Flanders is bounded on the S. and S. W.
by the French department; on the N. and N. W.
by the North Sea; the area of this province is
about 1,500 square m., containing 530,000 inhabi-
tants. It is also divided into four circles, of which
Bruges, Fumes, Ypres, and Courtray are the chief
towns, the other places of note are the sea-ports of
Nieuport and Ostend; the latter is regarded as the
maritime portal of this part of Europe. This like
E. Flanders is a level country; in the S. E. part, fine
thread, lace, and linen cambrics are manufactured
to a great extent for exportation ; over all the oth-
er parts of the two provinces, fishing, agriculture
and manufactures are assiduously pursued, and
tend to render the inhabitants among the most soci-
al and best conditioned in Europe. The language
of the common people is peculiar, a mixture of
Dutch and French ; but in the towns the French
is most generally spoken. The Catholic religion
prevails through both provinces ; the clergy are
a tolerant and respectable body.
Flanders, p.v. Morris Co. N. J.
Fhttbusk. a town of N. Y., chief of Kings coun-
ty, Long Island. The Americans were defeated
xe2x96xa1ear this place by the British in 1776. It is situ-
ate amid garden-grounds, 5 m. S. by E. of New
York. Pop. 1,143.
Fla&amds, a township of Kings Co. N. Y. on
Long Island. Pop. 596.
Flattery, Cape, on the W. coast of North Amer-
ica, discovered by Cook, in 1778 ; and so named,
because he was disappointed at not finding a har-
bour. Long. 12t- 57. W., lat. 48. 25. N.
Flarigmf, a town of France, in the depart-
ment of Cole d'Or, with a Benedictine abbey;
seated on a mountain, by the river Ozerain, 27
m. W. N. W. of Dijon.
Fleehe,La, a town of France, in the depart-
ment of Sarte. Here was a noble college, built
by Henry IV., at which Descartes was educated;
the centre is now converted into a town-house,
and one of the wings rebuilt as a prytaneum, or
military school for soldiers children. It is sea
ted on the N. bank of the Loire, and is the seat
of a prefect. Pop. in 1825, 5,387. It is 80 m.
E. N. E. of Nantes.
1 12 1
Flecheroe, Justei'oe, or Fleckeren, an island in
the Scagerack, near the coast of Norway, a few
m. E. of Christiansand. Between the island and
the continent is a most excellent harbour, de-
fended by a fortress. Long. 8.18. E., lat. 58.4. N.
Fleet, a river of Scotland, in Kirkcudbrightshire
which issues from a small lake of the same name,
and enters Wigton bay, below Gatehouse. On
its W. side are the vestiges of a camp, a dru-
idical circle, and a vitrified fort-
Fleming, a county of Kentucky. Pop. 13,493.
Flemingsburg is the capital, 50 m. N. E. of Lex-
Flemington, p.v. Hunterdon Co. N. J.
Fletcher, a township of Franklin Co. Vt. Pop.
Flensburg, a seaport of Denmark, in the duchy
of Sleswick, with a strong citadel, and a harbour
at the head of a bay in the Little Belt, at its en-
trance into the Baltic. It is a place of great com-
merce, 15 m. N. N. AV. of Sleswick. Long. 9-
47. E., lat. 54. 52. N. Pop. about 15,000.
Fleurance, a town of France, in the department
of Gers, on the river Gers, 3 m. N. of Auch.
Fteurus, a village of the Netherlands, in Na-
mur, 6 m. N. E. ol Charleroy. Here, in 1690, a
victory was gained by the French over the allies ,
and in 1794, the Austrians were defeated in a
general attack of the French posts.
Flie, or Vlieland. an island on the coast of Hol-
land, N. of the Texel, at the middle of the en-
trance of the Zuider Zee.
Flint, a county at the N. E. extremity of Wales
bounded in a N. AV. direction by the estuary of
the river Dee, and N. by W. by the Irish sea
It is the smallest county in Wales, its superficies
being only 243 sq. m. It is, however, rich in
coal, copper and lead, and since the commence
ment of the present century, the cotton manu
facture has been introduced, and the pop. du-
ring the 20 years, 1801xe2x80x941821 has increased 36
per cent. Tne principal towns are Mold, Holy-
well, Hawarden, and St. Asaph (each of which
see), there is also a town called Flint, formerly
the chief town of the county, though now a small
place. It has the county-goal, but the assizes
are held at Mold. Here are the remains of a
royal castle, in whichxc2xabRichard II. took shelter
on ariving from Ireland ; but on leaving it he wins
delivered into the hands of his rival, afterward
Henry IV.: it stands on a rock close to the sea,
and is governed by a constable, wTho is also mayor
of the town. Flint has no market, but is well
frequented as a bathing-place. It is seated on
the estuary of the Dee, 12 m. W. N. W. of Ches-
ter, and 195 N. N. AV. from London. Pop. in
Flint, a river of the state of Georgia, which
rises in the country formerly occupied by the
Creek Indians, runs S. W. and joining the Chat-
ahoochee, at its entrance into E. Florida, forms
Flintstone, p.v. Alleghany Co. Maryland.
Flix, a town of Spain, in Catalonia, strong both
by nature and art. It stands on a peninsula
formed by the Ebro, and the side where tho rivei
does not pass is covered by mountains, and defen-
ded by a castle. It is 23 m. N. of Tortosa.
Floddon, a field in the parish of Kirknewton,
Northumberland, Eng. 5 m. N. N. W. of Wool'