S, W. coast of Candia, and vessels often put in
here for water and provisions. Long. 23. 46. E
lat. 34. 50. N.
Gozo, a fortified island of the Mediterranean, 5
m. N. W. of Malta, and dependent on that island.
It is 8 m. long and 4 broad, and more equally fer-
tile than Malta.
Graboic, a town of Lower Saxony, in the duchy
of Mecklenburg with a castle, seated on the Elde,
24 m. S. by E. of Schwerin.
Graceham, p.v. Frederick Co. Maryland.
Gradosa, one of the Azores, 10 m. long and 8
broad. Its produce is wheat, wine, butter, and
cheese. The principal place is Plata. Long. 27.
58., W. lat. 39. 2. N. '
Gradisea, a fortified town of Sclavonia, on the
frontier of Croatia, seated on the Save, 20 m. S.
W. of Posega. Long. 18. 39. E., lat 45. 21.
Gradisea, a strong town of Friuli, on the con-
fines of Carinthia, capital of the county united
with Goritz, and a bishops see. It is seated on
the Lisonzo, 6 m. S. W. of Goritz. Long. 13. 32.
E., lat. 46.2. N. xe2x80xa2
Grado, a town of Italy, in a small island ofthe
same naine,on the coast of Friuli, 50 m. E. by.
N. of Venice. Long. 13. 10. E., lat. 45. 46. N.
Graff Reynet, the most eastern of the four dis-
tricts, in the territory of the Cape of Good Hope,
bounded on the E. by the county of the Caffres
and N. by that of the Hottentots.
Grafton, a county of the state of New Hamp-
shire, bounded on the W. 55 m. by the Connec-
ticut river, which divides it from the State of Ver-
mont ; it is about 28 m. in mean breadth, and
contains a pop. of 38,691. Haverhill, on the E.
bank of the Connecticut is the chief town.
Grafton, t. Grafton Co. N. H. 36 m. from
Concord. Pop. 1,207. Mica in large sheets pop-
ularly termed isinglass, is found in abundance in
this town and exported to foreign parts.
Grafton, ph. Worcester Co. Mass. 44 m. S. W.
Boston. Pop. 1,889. Also a ph. Windham Co.
Vt. 22 m. S. Windsor. Pop. 1,439. Also a ph.
Rensselaer Co. N. Y. Pop. 1,681.
Grain Coast, a maritime country of Guinea,
extending along the Atlantic about 300 m. be-
tween the Sierra Leone country on the W., and
the Ivory coast on the E. The productions are
peas, beans, gourds, lernons. oranges, dates, and
palm wine ; but the chief article is the abundance
of Guinea pepper, or grains of paradise, which
form a great interior and export trade. Cows,
hogs, sheep and goats, are numerous. The Port-
lguese had formerly the whole commerce of this
coast, but it has long been chiefly in the hands of
the English and Dutch.
Graitz, or Grtilz, a town of Upper Saxony,
with a castle on a rocky mountain, and another
in the town. It has manufactures of stuff, and is
situate on the Elster, between mountains and
woods, 10 m. N. of Plauen, and 50 S. of Leipzig.
Pop. about 6.000.
Gramat, a town of France, 28 m. N. N. E. of
Caliors. Pop. 3.295.
Grammont. a town of Handers, seated on both
sides of the Dender, 18 m. N E. ofTournay.
Grampian Hills, a chain of hills in Scotland,
which extend in a N. E. direction, from the moun-
tain Ben Lomona Dumbartonshire, through
the counties of Perth, Angus, and Kincardine,
to Aberdeen; and thence in a N. W. direction,
through the counties of Aberdeen, Banff, and
Murray, to the borders of Inverness. They take
their name from a single hill, the Mons Grampius
of Agricola, where Galgacus waited the approach
of Agricola, and where' the battle was fought, so
fatal to the brave Caledonians.
Public domain image from GedcomIndex.com _n.
Grampound, a borough in Cornwall, Eng. with
a manufacture of gloves; seated on the Fal, 40
m. S. W. of Launceston, and 244 W. by S. of
London; it formerly returned two members to
parliament, but was disfranchised at the general
election in 1820.
Gran, a town of Lower Hungary, and an arch
bishops see ; seated near the conflux ofthe Gran
with the Danube, 70 m. E. S. E. of Presburg.
Long. 18. 46. E., lat. 47. 46. N.
Gran, or Gram, a sea-port of Arabia, in the
province of Bahrin, at the N. W. end ofthe gulf
of Persia, and on the borders of Irac Arabi, 40 m.
S. of Bassora. Long 47. 45. E., lat. 29. 56
Granada. See Grenada.
Granada, a maritime province, formerly a
kingdom of Spain, part of Andalusia, having
about 270 m. of sea coast, on the Mediterranean;
the mean length of the province from W. to E.
being about 234 m., the extreme breadth at the
E. end is about 95 m. but the W. part not more than
30, its superfices not exceeding 805 sq. leagues.
Pop. in 1810 692,924. It is bounded on the E.
by the kingdom of Seville. N. by those of Cordo-
va *and Jaen, and W. by Murcia. Though a
mountainous country, the soil is good; but it has
not been well cultivated since the Moors were
expelled in 1492. However, it produces corn,
wine, oil, sugar, flax, hemp, excellent fruits, hon-
ey, wax, and mulberry-trees, which feed a great
number of silk-worms. The forests produce gall-
nuts, palm-trees, and oaks. It is intersected by
several streams falling into the Mediterranean,
bat the principal rivers run from E. to W. into
the Guadalquivir through Cordova and Seville.
Granada was the last province in Spain occupied
by the Moors. The principal towns on the coast
ofthe Mediterranean, beginning at the W. are
Marbella, Malaga, Almunecar, Motril, Adra,
Almeria, and Vera, and in the interior, Granada,
(the capital) Ronda, Velez Malaga, Santa Fe.
Guadix, Baza, Huescar, and Purchena.
Granada, a city of Spain the capital ofthe king-
dom of that name, is situated near the confluence
of the Xenil and the Darro, at the foot of the
highest mountain in the Peninsula, the Sierra
Nevada, and on the verge of that fertile district
called the Vega de Granada. Notwithstanding
its vicinity to the snow-clad Alpujarras, the win-
ters are mild in Granada, and the climate is
healthy and agreeable. The number of houses is
12,000, and the pop. according to the last census,
was 68,295. In commerce and splendour the
city has much declined notwithstanding the fer-
tility of its territory. It rose to its highest pros-
perity under the Moors, by whom it was occupied
soon after their first invasion of Spain in 711 : it
became a royal residence in 1013; during two cen-
turies retained that distinction; and was not fi-
nally surrendered to the Spaniards until 1492.
Of its magnificent .edifices, the most notable are
the palace of the Alhambra and the Generalife,
or pleasure-house and garden of the Moorish
kings. The Alhambra, with its 30 towers, alone
occupies the space of a town, and is situated on a
hill, fronting that called the Alcanaza, andreepa-
rated from it by the rapid Darro. The ascent to
the Alhambra is through groves of poplars ana
orange-trees, with fountains by the road side.