time, but very often. They are very prolific and
multiply astonishingly. A single couple will
produce one thousand in a year. The use of
the horse, the ass, and the mule is a nullity to
the negro, who dares not even venture to mount
them. Whether negroes or Portuguese, the in-
habitants find it preferable to be carried about in
Guinea, New, or Papua, an island of the South
Pacific Ocean, to the N. of Nevv-Holland, from
which it is separated hy Endeavour Strait, it is
next in size to New-Holland, extending S. E.
from the equator, to 12. S. lat., and from 131. to
153. E. long., a length of more than 1,200 miles,by
a medial breadth of perhaps 300; but the coasts of
the eastern part are far from being completely in-
vestigated. The northern part is said to have
been discovered bv the Spaniards, in 1528, who
had sailed from Mexico to explore the Spice Is-
lands. The coasts are generally lofty ; and in
the interior, mountain rises above mountain ; but
the whole appears covered with such luxuriance
of wood and herbage, as can scarcely be conceiv-
ed. The cocoa, sago, bread-fruit, and plantain
tree, beside most ofthe trees, shrubs, and plants,
common to the islands in the South Pacific Ocean,
are found here in great perfection. This island
is the chosen residence of the singular birds of
paradise, which breed here during the wet mon-
soon, and in the dry migrate in flocks westward,
to the smaller islands, particularly Arroo. Here
are also elegant parrots; and pigeons that almost
equal a turkey in size. The inhabitants of the
northern part are called Papous : whence the name
of the country. They seem to have the true
Malay complexion and features; but in general are
of horrible appearance, and great ferocity. Their
language and habitations resemble those of Bor-
neo. Ac. On the west the women seem the most
industrious in making mats, and pots of clay,
which they afterward burn with dry grass or
brushwood : and they even wield the axe, while
the men are indolent, or engaged in the chase of
wild h:-gs. In the interior is a race called Hara-
fonrs. who live in trees, which they ascend by a
notched pole, drawing it after them to prevent
surprise. On this extensive territory, so favoured
by nit ire. there is no European settlement.
The case;" commerce is with the Malays and
Chinese, from whim they purchase blue and red
cloth, axes, knives, and other instruments. Their
returns are ambergris, tortoise-shell, small pearls,
birds of paradise, and other birds, which the Papu-
ans arv with great skill. Some slaves are also ex-
ported, probably captives taken in intestine wars.
they prefer even to bran, flour or bread. They
are also exceedingly fond of apples and fruits.
Like the rabbit they eat precipitately; little at a
Guingamp. a town of France, in the depart-
ment of Cotes du Xord. seated on the Trieu, 18
m. S. of Treguier. and 23 W. bv N. of St. Brieux.
It is the seat of a prefect.
Guipuzcoa, a district of Spain, forming the N.
W. part of Biscay, comprising a superfices of 52
sq. leagpes. Pop. in 1809, 104.491. St. Se-
Dastian is the capital.
Chuise, a town of France, in the department of
Aisne, with a castle, seated on the Oise, 18 m. E.
of St. Quintin.
Guislain, St. a town of the Netherlands, in
Hainault, seated in marshy land, on the river
Haine, 6 m. W. of Mons.
Gujunat, or Gujurat, a town of Hindoostan, in
Lahore, 60 m. N. hy W. of Lahore, on the road
Gumbinnen, a town of Prussia, capital of a gov-
ernment of the same name in Lithuania. It has
manufactures of cloth, and is seated on the Pissa,
which falls into the Pregel, 75 m. E. by S. of Ko
nigsberg. The superfices of the government of
Gumbinnen, comprises upwards of 6,000 square
miles, with a population of about 350,000. Pop.
of the town about 5,000.
Gum Springs, a vijlage in Orange Co. Va.
Gumurginia, a populous town of European
Turkey, in Rumelia, near the sea-coast, 190 m.
due W. of Constantinople.
Gundeljingen, a town of Bavaria, situate on the
Brenz, near the Danube, 17 m. W. S. W. o*
Guntoor, a district of Hindoostan, formerly the
most southern of the circars, intersected by the
river Kistnah. on the western coast of the Bay
of Bengal. The chief town of the same name is
seated S. of the Kistnah, 45 m. W. by N. from
Masulipatam. See Circars.
Guntzburg, a town of Suabia, with a castle.
It stands on the river Guntz, near its conflux
with the Danube, 6 m. W. of Burgau, and 14 E.
Gunzenhauscn, a town of Franconia, in the
principality of Anspach, seated on the Altmuhl,
near a forest, 16 m. S. S. E. of Anspach.
Gurau, a town of Silesia, in the principality of
Glogan, with good cloth manufactures, and a
great trade in corn. In 1759 it was reduced to ashes
by the Russians. It stands on an eminence, by
the river Bartch, 19 m. E. of Glogau.
Gurck, a town of Germany, in Carinthia, and
lately a bishops see ; seated on the river Gurck,
20 m. N. by W. of Clagenfurt.
Gurckfeld, a town of Germany, in Carniola,
with a castle on a hill, situate on the Save, 28 m,
S. E. of Cilley.
Gurgistan. See Georgia.
Gu.rief, or Gouriev, a town of Russia, in the
government of Astracan, with a good harbour;
seated near the Caspian Sea, between the mouths
of the Ural, 210 miles E. by N. of Astracan.
Long. 51. 56., lat. 47. 37. N.
Gurrah, a town of Hindoostan, in the province
of Allahabad, situate near the river Nerbuddah,
190 m. S. S. W. of Allahabad. Long. 80. 23. Exe2x80x9e
lat. 23. 9. N.
Gurrumconda, a towin of Hindoostan, lately
subject to the regent of Mysore, but ceded by the
Nizam to the British in 1799. It is 73 m. N. E.
of Bangalore, and 112 W. N. W. of Madras
Long. 78. 36. E., lat. 13. 47. N.
Gustavus, a township of Trumbull Co. Ohio
Gustrow, a city of Lower Saxony, in the duchy
of Mecklenberg-Schwerin. The chief courts of
judicature for the duchy are held here ; and it
has an elegant ducal palace. It is situate on the
Nebel, 29 m. E. N. E. of Schwerin. Long. 12.
13. E., lat. 53. 47. N.
Gutta, a town of Hungary, seated on the Wag,
in the island of Schut, 16 m. N. W. of Comorn.
Guzerat, a province of Hindoostan, which is a
peninsula, 200 miles long and 1'40 broad, formed