verv low and barren. Long. 164. 15. W., lat. 64.
Halifax, a town in the west riding of Yorkshire,
Eng. It is a very large parish, containing 12
chapels of ease ; the inhabitants are principally
employed in the woolen manufacture. This town
is the great mart for shalloons and worsted stuffs
in great variety. It has a market-house, called
Piece Hall, and various others for particular
goods. The church is a venerable building, and
contains a number of ancient monuments. A
handsome new church was built in 1798. It is
about three quarters of a mile long, and is seated in
a hillv country, near a branch of the Calder, 40
m. W. S. AV. of York, and 197 N. by W. of Lon-
don. Pop. in 1801, 8,886, and in 1821, 12,628.
Halifax, a city and the capital of Nova Scotia.
It stands on the W. side of Chebucto bay, which
is large enough to shelter a thousand men of war.
An island at the mouth of the harbour is so strong-
lv fortified, as to bid defiance to all attack, and
the town is protected on the land side by a fort,
and several batteries, which render it impregnable.
The streets are parallel and at right angles. At
the N. extremity is the kings yard, supplied with*
stores of every kind for the royal navy. The in-
habitants are estimated at above 15,000. It is 600
m. N. E. by E. of New York, and 90 E. of Anna-
polis. Lat. 44. 44., long. 63.36.
Halifax, an interior county of North Carolina,
bounded on the N. E. by Roanoke, near the north-
ern boundary. Pop. 17,738. The chief town
Halifax, is 130 m. N. E. by E. of Raleigh.
Halifax, a county of the E. District of Virginia,
bordering on North Carolina, and bounded on the
N. E. by the Roanoke. Pop. 28,032. Its chief
town, Bannister, is 134 m. S. W. by W. of Rich-
Halifax, ph. Windham Co. Vt. Pop. 1,562. Al-
so a ph. Plymouth Co. Mass. Pop. 709. Also a
village in Dauphin Co. Pa. Also a ph. Halifax
Co. N. C. on the Roanoke, 70 m. from the sea.
Halitz, a town of Poland, in the palatinate of
Lemberg, with a castle. Since 1773 it has been
included in the new kingdom of Galicia. It is
seated on the Dneister, 60 m. S. S. E. of Lem-
Holland, a province of Sweden, on the W.
coast of Gothland. It is 60 m. along the coast,
but not above 18 in breadth. The country is
in general' mountainous, with considerable
woods of oak and birch. Hamstadt is the cap-
Hallaton, a town in Leicestershire, Eng. 12 m.
E. S. E. of Leicester, 90 N. by E. of London.
Halle, a town of Lower Saxony, in the duchy
of Magdeburg, with a famous university. It
has large balt-works, and manufactures of starch,
linen, and flannel. It is seated on both sides of
the Saale, over which there are five bridges, 18
m. N. N. AAT. of Leipzig, and 46 S. S. E. of
Halle, a towin of Suabia. noted for its salt-pits,
and the famous protestant league concluded here
in 1610. It is seated on the Kocher, among rocks
and mountains. 32 m. N. E. of Stuttgard.
Halle, a town of Germany, in Tyrol, famous
for its salt-mine ; seated on the Inn, 6 m. E. N. E
Halle, a town of the Netherlands, in Hain-
ault, seated on the Senne, 10 m. S S. W of
Hallein, a towin in Bavaria, in the duchy of Salz-
burg ; seated on the Salza. among mountains
that abound in mines of salt, 8 m. S. by E. of
Hallespring, a town of Lower Saxony, in the
principality of Calenberg, at the source of the
Haller, 16 m. S. S. W. of Hanover.
HaUowell, ph. Kennebec Co. on the Kennebec
40 m. at its mouth. Pop. 3,964. It has a con-
siderable commerce in the exportation of lumber.
HaUsviUe, p.v. Montgomery Co. N. Y. Also
a village in Dauphin Co. N. C.
Halmstadt, a s^a-port of Sweden, capital of
Halland. Here are flourishing woolen manu-
factures, and a profitable salmon-fishery. It
stands at the mouth of the Nissa, on a bay of
the Categat, 82 m. S. S. E.of Gothenburg. Long.
12. 52., lat. 56. 40.
Halstead, a town in Essex, Eng. seated on the
side of a hill, on the river Coin, 16 m. N. of
Chelmsford, and 46 N. E. of London.
Halteren, a town of Westphalia, in the prin-
cipality of Munster, seated on the Lippe, 22 m.
S. W. of Munster.
Halton, a towin in Cheshire, Eng. It had a
stately castle, belonging to the duchy of Lancas-
ter, which maintained a large jurisdiction round
it, by the name of Halton Fee ; but all that, re-
mains is now a prison. It is seated near the
Mersey, 13 m. N. E. of Chester, and 195 N.
N. W. of London.
Haltwhilstle, a town of Northumberland, Eng.
seated on a hill, on the S. branch of the Tyne,B
35 m. W. of Newcastle, and 315 N. by W. of
Ham, a strong town of Westphalia, capital of
the county of Mark. It is a place of good trade,
and has extensive bleaching-grounds.. In 1761,
the French were defeated near this place by the
troops of Brunswick. It is seated on the Lippe,
20 m. W. of Lipstadt. Long. 7. 57. E., lat. 51
Ham, West, a village and parish of England in
Essex, on the river Lea, 5 m. from the Royal
Exchange, London. In 1801, the pop. was re-
turned at 1,960, and in 1821, 9,753.
Ha ot, a towin of France, in the department of
Somme, with a strong castle, seated on the Som-
me. 70 m. N. N. E. of Paris.
Hamadan. See Amadan.
Hamah, a town of Syria, the residence of the
schiek, with the title of emir. The best houses,
the mosques, and the castle, are built of black
and white stones. The river Assi, formerly call-
ed Oroiites, runs close by the castle and fills its
ditches, which are cut deep into the solid rock
The inhabitants have a trade in linen of their
own manufacture. It is seated among hills, 78 m.
S. S. W. of Aleppo.
Hamamet, a town of the kingdom of Tunis, on
a gulf of the same name, 37 m. S. of Tunis.
Long. 10.15. E., lat. 36. 13. N.
Hambledon, a town in Hampshire, Eng. 15 m.
S. E. of Winchester.
Hamburg, a free and imperial city of Germa-
ny, in Lower Saxony, seated on the north bank
of the Elbe, about 55 m. from its mouth, consist-
ing of the old and new town ; both nearly of an
equal size. Most of the houses are built after the
manner of the Dutch, and richly furnished with-
in. The principal streets of the old town have
long and broad canals, which are filled by the
tide. It is seated on the river Elbe and Alster,
and the latter, a tributary stream of the Elbe,
before it enters the town by sluices, forms a
fine basin. Here is a celebrated college, an