Pop. 11,465. Madison is the capital. A county ofll-
linois Pop. 2,555. Mount Vernon is the capital.
A county of Missouri. Pop. 2,586. HerculaneUm
is the capital. A county of Florida. Pop. 3,312.
Monticello is the capital. A county of Arkansas.
Jefferson, ph. Lincoln Co. Me. Pop. 2,074. ph.
Coos Co. N. H. Pop. 49a. ph. Schoharie Co. N.
Y. Pop. 1,743. Also towns and villages in Morris
Co. N. J., Greene Co. Pa., Powhatan Co. Va.,
Ashe Co. N. C., Camden and Jackson Cos. Geo.,
Rutherford Co. Ten., Pike and Cole Cos.
Missouri, and 13 towns in Ohio.
Jeffersonton, p.v. Culpeper Co. Va.
Jeffersontoicn, ph. Jefferson Co. Ken.
Jeffersonville, ph. Clarke Co. Indiana, nearly op-
posite Louisville, Ken
Jegni-kevi, a town of Asiatic Turkey, in Nato-
lia, 24 m. N. N. W. of Degnizlu.
Jeunipannola, a town of European Turkey, in
Bulgaria, 70 m. E. S. E. of Distra.
Jehud, or Joud, mountains in the N. W. part
of Hindoostan, extending eastward from Attock
to Behnbur. They are part of the territory of
the mountaineers called Gickers, Gehkers, or Ka-
Jekyl, a small island of N. America, on the
coast of Georgia, S. of the island of St. Simon.
Jellasore. a town of Bengal seated on the Su-
baureeka, 50 m. S. by W. of' Midnapour.
Jdlinghy, a town of Bengal, on the right bank
of the Ganges, where a branch, called the Jelling-
hy River, separates from the main stream. 25 m.
E". by S. of Moorshedabad.
Jemappee, See Gemappes,
Jemarrow, a kingdom of Africa, on the S. side
of the Gambia, about 120 m. from the sea The
inhabitants are chiefly Mahomedans.
Jena, a strong town of Germany, in the grand
duchy of Saxe-Weimar, with a castle and a cele-
brated university. Near this place in 1806, there
was a general action between the French and
Prussians, in which the latter were defeated with
immense ioss. It is seated on the Saale, 10 m. S.
S E. of Weimar. Long. 11. 34. E., lat. 50. 55. N.
Jenisa. See Yenisei.
Jeniskoi. See Yeniseisk.
Jenitz, a town of Germany, in the principality,
of Anhalt-Dessau, situate on the Muldau, 2 m. N.
E. of Dessau.
Jcnitza. a town of European Turkey, in Mace-
donia, situate on a lake which communicates with
the gulf of Salonichi, by a canal 12 in. long. It is
24 m. N. N. AV. of Salonichi.
Jenkinton. ph. Montgomery Co. Pa.
Jenncr, a township of Somerset Co. Pa.
JennersrUle, p.v. Chester Co. Pa
Jennings, a county of Indiana Pop. 3,950.
A'ernon is the capital.
Jtrtmit. a town and cape on the N. side of the
southern peninsula of the island of St. Domingo.
The town is situate on an eminence, in a fertile
soil, particularly excellent for the culture of cof-
fee, 5 m. W. of Sl Domingo. Long. 73. 14. W.
lat. 18. 42. N.
Jericho, a town of Syria, in Palestine, once a fa-
mous city. It is now called Herubi by the Arabs,
and contains only a few wretched huts, where
some beggarly Arabs reside. It is 5 m. W. of the
river Jordan and 80 E. by N. of Jerusalem.
Jericho, a town of Prussian Saxony, in the gov-
ernment of Magdeburg, sitnate on the Elbe, 32 m.
N. N. E. ofMagdeburg.
Jericho, ph. Chittenden Co. Vt. on Onion Riv-
er, 12 m. S. Burlington. Pop. 1,654. Also a
p.v. Queens Co. N. Y.
Jermah, a town of the kingdom of Fezzan, dis-
tinguished by the numerous herds of sheep and
goats that feed around it, and by many majestic
ruins, that exhibit to the inhabitants of its clay-
built cottages vestiges ol greatness to which they
are perfectly indifferent. 60 m. S. E. of Mour-
Jeromestoicn, p.v. Wayne Co. Ohio. 92 m. N.
Jersey, ph. Steuben Co. N. Y. Pop. 2,391.
Also a township in Licking Co. Ohio.
Jersey City, a village at Pauluss Hook, Bergen
Co. N. J. on the Hudson, opposite New York. (
Jerseytown, p.v. Columbia Co. Pa.
Jersey, New. See New Jersey.
Jersey, an island in the English Channel, 18 m
from the coast of Noirnar.dy in France, and 84 S
of Portland in Dorsetshire. It is subject to the
English, but is still governed by the ancient Nor-
man laws. It is 30 ni in circumference and d'ffi-
cult of access, on account of rocks, sands, and the
forts erected for its defence. It produces excel-
lent butter and honey, and the S. part of the isl-
and is nearly covered with apple trees for cider.
The commerce of Jersey extends to almost every
European nation and also to America. It exports to
England great quantities of cider; also fruits, pota-
toes and cattle; and in return imports corn, flour,
seeds, coals, cloth, linen, glass, &c. A number of
ships are engaged in the Newfoundland fishery. In
1812.59 vessels, altogether of6000 tons burden,and
navigated by ofiO seamen, belonged to the island.
Jerusalem, an ancient and famous town of Asia,
formerly capital of Judea. It was taken by Neb-
uchadnezzar in the 11th year of Zedekiah, when
the Jews were led captive to Babylon. It was af
terwards taken by the Romans, and destroved,
together with the temple, 70 years after the birth
of Christ, after sustaining one of the most remark-
able sieges in history. ' The emperor Adrian built
a new city near its ruins. It was taken by the
Persians in 614, and by the Saracens in 636. In
1099 it was retaken by the Crusaders, who found-
ed a new kingdom, which lasted 88 years, under
9 kings. Saladin, king of Egypt and Syria, obtain-
ed possession of it in 1187. The Turks who drove
away the Saracens in 1217, have retained it ever
since, and call it El Kods, that is, the Holy City. It
is now inhabited by Turks, Arabs, Jews and Chris-
tians. It stands on a high rock with steep ascents
on every side except to the N. It is almost sur-
rounded with valleys encompassed with moun
tains, so that it seems to stand in the middle of
an amphitheatre. The principal object of vene-
ration is the church of the holy sepulchre, a very
handsome building, 3,000 feet long and nearly
200 broad. It is supposed to comprehend within
these limits the scene of all the great events of the
crucifixion, entombment, and resurrection of
Christ. The chapel is cut out of the rock, and
lamps are kept constantly burning in it. The
whole is covered with white marble, both within
and without; and on the outside there are 10 fine
columns of the same. It is covered with a plat-
form, the middle of which forms a small dome six
feet in height, covered with lead, and supported
by 12 columns of porphyry, placed by pairs on the
platform, and forming 6 arches, which have 3
lamps under each. Before the gate of the sepul-
chre is a silver lamp, so large that 2 men cannot
fathom it. On Good Friday, all the parts of our
Saviours passion are solemnized in this church