Western part of Illinois. Here are the richest
lead mines hitherto discovered on the globe. This
portion of country lies principally north of Rock
river and south of the Wisconsin. Dubuque s,
and other rich mines, are west of the Mississippi.
Native copper, in large quantities, exists in this
region, especially at the mouth of Plum creek
and on the Peekatonokee. Plum creek is a
small creek, of Illinois about 40 miles above
Rock river, which runs into the Mississippi.
Peekatonokee is a branch of Rock river. For
many years the Indians, and some of the French
hunters and traders, had been accustomed to dig
lead in these regions. They never penetrated
much below the surface, but obtained considera-
ble quantities of the ore, which they sold to the tra-
ders. In 1823, the late Col. James Johnson, of
Great Crossings, Ky. obtained a lease of the United
States Government, and made arrangements to
prosecute the business of smelting, with con-
siderable force, which he did the following sea-
son. This attracted the attention of enterprising
men in Illinois, Missouri, and other States. Some
went on in 1826, more followed in 1827, and in
1828 the country was almost literally filled with
miners, smelters, laerchants, speculators, &c.
Such was the crowd of adventurers in 1829, in
this hitherto almost unknown and desolate region,
that the lead business was greatly overdone, and
the market for awhile nearly destroyed. Fortunes
were made almost upon a turn of the spade, and
_ost with equal facility. The business is now re-
viving, and probably will be prosecuted in fu-
ture more in proportion to the demand for lead.
The following table shows the amount of lead
made annually at these diggings, from 1821, to
Sept.30,1830. Pounds of lead made from 1821, to
Sept. 30,1823, 335,130
Do. for year ending Sept. 30, 1824, 175,220
Do. do. do. 1825, 664,530
Do. do. do. 1826, 958 842
Do. do. do. 1827, 5,182,180 ,
Do. do. do. 1828, 11,105.810
Do. do. do. 1829, 13,343,150
Do. do. do. 1830, 8,323,998
The government formerly received ten per
cent, in lead, for rent. It is now reduced to six
per cent. These lands will soon be surveyed,
and probably sold, which will add greatly to the
stability and prosperity of the mining business.
Leadhills. a village of Scotland, in Lanarkshire,
situate amU mountains, in which are rich mines
of lead. Here is a public library, fitted up by the
miners, who work ouly eight hours in a day, and
employ much of their spare time in reading. It
is su?>3Bed to be the highest inhabited place in
Britain, being about 2.00U feet above the level of
the sea. It is situate on the road from Glasgow
to Dumfries, lr m. S. of Lanark, and 44 S. of
Lead ride. p.v. Randolph Co. Pa.
LuAfszi-it. p.T. Rockingham Co.- N. C. 105 m.
N. AV. Raleigh.
Leamington Prw-s. a town in Warwickshire,
Eng. Here are some saline springs, with warm
and cold baths, a pump-room, and other accom-
modations for genteel company. It is seated on
the river Learn, near its confluence with the
Avon, 2 m. E. of Warwick and 89 N. VV. of London.
Leao-tong. See Cken-yang.
Leasburg, p.v. Caswell Co. N. C. 84 m. N. W.
Leatherhead, a town in Surrey, Eng. Here is
a bridge of 14 arches over the river Mole, which
a little above is said to make its re-appearance
above ground. 18 m. S. S. W. of London.
Leathes-water, or Withburn, a fine lake in Cum-'
berland, Eng. lying S. E. of Keswick. It is nar-
row and irregular, about 4 m. in length, skirting
the foot of Helvellyn, and receiving numerous
torrents from that huge mountain. The singular
beauty of this lake is its being almost intersected
in the middle by two peninsulas, which are joined
by a neat wooden bridge. Its outlet at the N.
end joins the river Greeta, which runs into the
Derwent below Keswick.
Leavenworth, p.v. Crawford Co. Indiana.
Leba, a town of Prussia, in Pomerania, on a
river of the same name, which, after forming a
lake 15 m. in circumference, enters the Baltic
Sea. 16 m. N. N. W. of Luenburg.
Lebanon, p.t. York Co. Me. Pop. 2,391. p.t.
Grafton Co. N. II. Pop. 1,868. p.t. New London
Co. Conn. Pop. 2,552. p.t. Madison Co. N. Y.
Pop 2,249. p.t. Huntingdon Co. N. Y. p.t. Leba-
non Co. Pa. 25 m. N. E. Harrisburg. Also
towns and villages in Russell Co. Va. Washing-
ton Co. Geo., AAarren, Meigs, and Ashtabula Cos.
Ohio. AArashington Co. Ken., VAilson Co. Tenn.
and St. Clair Co. Illinois.
Lebanon, a county of the E. District of Penn-
sylvania. Pop. 20,d46. Lebanon is the capital.
Lebida, a sea-port of Africa, in the territory of
Tripoli, with a good harbour and an old castle.
It is seated on the Mediterranean, 30 m. S. E.
Lebrixa, or Ltbrija, a town of Spain, in Anda
lusia, with a castle, seated in a territory abound-
ing in olive-trees that produce the best oil in
Spain, 20 m. S. by AV. of Seville.
Lebus, a town of Prussia, in Brandenburg, seat-
ed on the Oder, 5 m. N. of Frankfort.
Lecasetto, a town in the state of Genoa, 22 m.
N. E. of Genoa.
Lecce, a city of Naples, in Otranto, and a bish-
ops see. It is the residence of the governor oi
the province, which by some is called Lecce in-
stead of Otranto. 17 m. N. W. of Otranto, and
195 E. S. E. of Naples. Long. 18. 20. E., lat. 40.
Lecco, a town of Austrian Italy, in the Milan-
ese, with several flourishing manufactures. It is
seated on the E. branch of the lake Como, 15 m
E. N. E. of Como. Long. 9. 23. E., lat. 45. 5.
Lech, a river of the Bavarian states, which rises
in Tyrol, divides Suabia from Bavaria, and enters
the Danube below Donawert.
Lechlade, or Letchlade, a town in Gloucester-
shire, Eng. A canal from the Severn joins the
Thames near this town, and the traffic here, on
both, is considerable in cheese, corn, and coal.
It is seated at the confluence of the Lech with
the Thames.-23 in. E. by S. of Gloucester, and 76
AV. by N. of London.
Lechnitz, a town of Prussian Silesia, in tho
province of Oppeln. Near it is the convent of
St. Annenburg, much resorted to by pilgrims. It
is seated near the Oder, 17 m. S. S. E. of Op-
Leek, a river of Netherlands, which branches off
from the Rhine at Deurstede, and enters the
Maese, 10 m. E. of Rotterdam.
Lectoure, a strong town of France, department
of Gers, with manufactures of leather, and some
trade in corn and wine. It is situate on a rnoun-