on the S. E. side of the island, 26 m. N. N. E. of
Patti, in Sicily. Long. 15. 30. E., lat. 38. 35. N.
Lipno, a town of Poland, in the palatinate of
Ploczko, 33 m. N. N. W. of Ploczko.
Lipourec, a town of Poland, in the palatinate ol
Cracow, 22 m. W. of Cracow.
Lippe, a river of Westphalia, which flows W.
by Paderborn, Lippstadt, Ham, and Dorsten, and
joins the Rhine above Wesel.
Lippe-Detmold, a principality of Germany, in
Westphalia, bounded by the Prussian states and
Hanover, and containing an area of 430 square
m. with 73,000 inhabitants. It is mountainous
almost throughout, and contains large forests ot
oak and beech.
Lippspring, a town of Prussian Westphalia,
near the source of the Lippe, 6 m. N. of Pader-
Lippsiadt, a strong town of Westphalia, with a
good trade in timber. It stands on the river Lip-
pe, 18 m. W. of Paderborn. Long. 8. 28. E., lat.
51. 41. N
Lique, a town of France, department of Pas de
Calais, 12 m. W. of St. Omer.
Liqueo, Liqmeux, or Likeo Islands. See Loo-
Lina, a town of Spain, in tne province of Val-
encia, the Edera of the Carthagenians, and the
Edeta of the Romans. It has manufactures of
iinen, soap, and earthenware ; also brandy distil-
leries. 20 m. N. N. W. of Valencia.
Lis, a river of Asiatic Russia, which rises in a
lake of the same name, and falls into the Yenisei.
Long. 90. 14. E., lat. 62. 20. N.
Lis, a river which rises in France, in the de-
partment of Pas de Calais, flows by Aire, St. Ve-
nant, and Armentieres, into Flanders, w%re it
passes by Menin, Courtray, and Deynse, and
joins the Scheldt at Ghent
Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, and the see ol
a patriarch and an archbishop, with a university.
It is seated on the N. side of the Tagus, 10 m.
from its mouth, and built in the form of an am-
phitheatre, on seven hills, not broad, but six m.
in length. The city is wailed round, and it has
so increased by degrees, particularly towards the
W., tiiat the old walls now divide the two dio-
ceses ; the E. part under the archbishop, and the
W. under the patriarch. 'The harbour, which is
capable of containing 1,000 ships in the greatest
safety, is defended/by two forts; and before the
entrance to the city is the fort of Belem. Near
til is is a grand aqueduct, between two hills, which
conveys water to a great reservoir at one of the
extremities of Lisbon. In the middle of the city,
on one of the liiils, is a citadel, which commands
the whole piace. The cathedral, on another emi-
nence, is ancient and gloomy; hut the riches of
the Portuguese have rendered it magnificent.
The royal palace, which fronts the river, is large
and magnificent, and contains a library, collected
at vast expense by John V. Lisbon wins almost
destroyed by an earthquake in 1755, but has been
rtandsomeiy rebuilt. It contains many beautiful
edifices, 40 parish churches, 99 chapels, 75 con-
vents of both sexes, and about 200,000 inhabitants.
There are public walks, twin theatres, and a circus
for the bull-fights. The manufactures are in a
backward state, but the trade is very considerable,
and many foreign merchants, both catholic and
protestant, reside here ; this city being the grand
magazine of all goods brought from Brazil, and
the colonies belonging to Portugal. In December
I8Q7 it was entered by the French, who retained
possession till August 1808, when they evacuated
it after the battle of Vimeira, in which they were
defeated by the British. The inhabitants of Lis-
bon are described as superstitious, vindictive, and
meanly acquiescing under power. In the early
part of the revolution they made a noble stand
for freedom, but have since submitted without
resistance to the usurper Don Miguel. See Por-
tugal. 178 m. W. by N. of Seville, and 255 S.
by W. of Madrid. Long. 9. 5. W., lat. 38. 42. N.
Lisbon, ph. Lincoln Co. Me. on the Andioseog-
gin. Pop. 2,432. ph. Grafton Co. N. II 80 m. N.
W. Concord. Pop. 1,585. ph. New London Co.
Conn. 7 m. N. Norwich. Pop. 1,166. ph. S;t
Lawrence, Co. N. Y. on the St. Lawrence, 3 m.
below Ogdensburg. Pop. 1,891. also a village of
Lincoln Co. Geo. on the Savannah.
Lisburn, p.v. Cumberland Co. Pa.
Lisburn, a town of Ireland, in the county of
Antrim, with manufactures of linen, cloth, mus-
lin, and cambric. It is seated on the Laggan, 8
m. S. W. of Belfast.
Lisea, or Lisca Bianea, one of the Lipari isl-
ands, 3 m. S. W. of Stromboli. It is a small des-
Lislcux, a town of France, department of Calva-
dos. It has a good trade, particularly in linen
cloth, and is seated on the Touque, 12 m. from
the sea,and 40 S. W. of Rouen. Long. 0. 14. E.,
lat. 49. 9. N.
Lisle, a strong city of France, in the department
of Nord, and one of the most commercial towns
in' France. The inhabitants are estimated at
60,000. Its citadel is supposed to be the strong-
est in Europe, next to that of Turin. The streets
and squares are adorned with noble buildings,
particularly the Great Square and the Little
Square; and among the public structures are the
exchange, a magazine of vast extent, and a gene-
ral hospital. The manufactures are numerous,
comprising camlets, serges, cotton, linen, silk,
velvet, lace, &c. Lisle wins taken by the allies
in 1706 ; but wins restored hy the treaty of Utreclit,
in 1713, in consideration of the demolition of the
fortifications of Dunkirk. In 1782 it sustained a
severe bombardment from the Austrians. It is
seated in a rich and marshy soil, on the Deule
18 m. E. of Toumay, and 145 N. N. E. of Paris
Long. 3. 4. E., lat. 50. 38. N.
Lisle, ph. Broome Co. N. Y. Pop. 4,393.
Lismore, one of the Hebrides of Scotland, at
the entrance of Loch Mull,on the coast of Argyle-
shire. It has a fertile island, 9 m. long and 2
broad, and wins anciently the residence of the
bishop of Argyle.
Lismore, a borough of Ireland, in the county of
Waterford, and a bishops see united to Water-
ford. The cathedral is spacious and handsome,
but the town is now a small place. It stands on
the Blackwaler, 26 m. N. E. of Cork.
Lisonzo, a river of Austrian Italy, in Friuli,
which enters the gulf of Trieste.
Lissa, an island in the gulf of Venice, on the
coast of Austrian Dalmatia. Here is a fishery of
pilchards and anchovies, and it produces excellent
wine and abundance of oil and almonds. It is 56
m. W. of Ragusa. Long. 17. 0. E., lat. 42. 59.
Lissa, a town of Prussian Poland, near the
borders of Silesia. In 1707 it was laid waste by
the Russians; but it has been rebuilt, with great
improvement, and carries on a great trade. It is
65 m. W. of Kaliseh. Long. 16. 35. E , lat. 52. 0.