The natives of the Moluccas, before they were
visited b'y foreign nations, attached no value to
the vegetable riches which are peculiar to their
islands, and which have rendered them at once so
celebrated and so unfortunate. The Chinese
first accidentally landed in the middle age .and dis-
covered the clove and the nutmeg, in consequence
of which a taste for these commodities was dif-
fused over India, and thence extended to Persia
and to Europe. These Islands were discovered in
1511, by the Portuguese, who formed some settle-
ments,but were driven out in 1607 by the Dutch,
to whom the islands are at present subject.
Molwitz, a town of Prussian Silesia, in the prin-
cipality of Brieg, famous for a victory gained by
the Prussians over the Austrians in 1741. 4 m.
W. of Brieg.
Mombaza, a city on the coast of Zanguebar.
It was seated on a peninsula, which has been
since turned into an island, hy cutting a canal
through the isthmus. It is defended by a strong
citadel, has a commodious harbour for large ves-
sels, and carries on a great commerce with the
islands and kingdoms adjacent, in gold, ivory,
rice, flesh, &c. The king of Melinda, being a
Christian, had a quarrel with the Portuguese
governor, took the castle by assault, turned Ma-
homedan. and murdered all the Christians, in
1631. In 1729 the Portuguese again became
masters of this territory; but since that time the
natives hare regained possession of it, and have
treated in the most treacherous and hostile man-
ner all Cnristians who have attempted to land.
Mombaza is 75 m. S. S. W. of Melinda. Lon*.
39. 30. E . bt. 3. 15. S.
town of Egypt, with manufactures
of linens, seated on the left bank of the Nile, 20
m. N. N. W. of Siout.
Mompm. a vm of New Granada, in the pro-
vince of Cartbarena, on the left bank of the Mag-
dalena, 112 m. 5- S. E. of Carthagena.
Mona, an island of Denmark, in the Baltic, to
the S. W. of the isle of Zealand, from which it is
separated by a narrow channel. Stege is the
Monacks, p.v. Montgomery Co. Alabama.
Monaco, a fortified sea- port of Italy, capital of a
small principality of the same name, between the
country of Nice and tbe dnchy of Genoa. The
harbour is good, bat not deep enough for large
vessels; the principal export is olive oil. It is
seated on a craggy rock, that projects into the sea,
12 m. E. N. E. of Nice. Long. 7. 30. E., lat. 43.
Monaghan, a county of Ireland, in the province
of Ulster, hounded N. by Tyrone, E. by Armagh,
S. E. by Louth, S. W. by Cavan, and W/by Fer
managh. Its area includes 179,600 Irish acres,
part of which is occupied by woods and bogs, and
a third part taken up by Lough Erne. A great
part is, however, in a high state of cultivation,
and the population amounts to about 180,000. It
contains five baronies, is divided into 20 parishes,
and sends two members to parliament.
dise, the fishing martin, the different parroquets,
cockatoos, and others. We know little of the
minerals of these regions.
Monaghan, the capital of the foregoing county,
was fortified With a castle and a fort, in the reign
of queen Elizabeth. It is 40 m. S. W. of Belfast
and 60 N. N. W. of Dublin. Long. 6. 49. W.,
lat. 54. 16. N.
Monaghan, a township of York Co. Pa.
Monaster, a town of the kingdom of Tunis, seat-
ed near the sea. 70 m. S. E. of Tunis. Long.
11. 6. E., lat. 35'. 50. N.
Monastervun, a town of Ireland, in the county
of Kildare, situate on the Barrow, near the grand
canal, 19 m. N. of Carlow and 32 S. W. of
Monblane, a town of Spain, in Catalonia, on
the river Francoh, 17 m. N. of Tarragona.
MoncallieT, a town of the Sardinian states, in
Piedmont, seated on an eminence near the Po, 5
m. S. E. of Turin.
Moncalvo, a town of Piedmont, province of
Montferrat. seated on a mountain, 12 m. S. W.
of Casal and 30 E. of Turin.
Monqaon, a town of Portugal, in Entre Douro e
Minho, with a strong castle; seated near the
Minho, 24 m. N. of Braga.
Mon-.Jutbon, a city of Birmah, and during a short
period its capital, is surrounded by a wall and
ditch, but is chiefly celebrated as the birth-place
of Alompra, who afterwards became the deliverer
of his country and the conqueror of Pegu. It is
40 m. N. of Ummerapoora.
Moncon, a town of Spain, in Arragon, with a
castle, 6 m. S. of Balbastro and 50 N. E. of Sar-
Moncontour, a town of France, department of
Cotes du Nord, 12 m. S. S. E. of St.. Brieux.
Monadnock, mountain, usually called the Grand
Monadnock, is situated in the towns of Jaffrey
and Dublin, in Cheshire Co. N. H. about, 22 m. E.
from Connecticut river, and 10 N. of the Southern
boundary of this state. The direction of the
ridge is N. E. and S. W. The mountain is about
5 m. long from N. to S. and 3 m. from E. to W.
According to Professor Dana,who visited the moun-
tain in 1816, its base is 1,452, and its summit 3.450
feet above the level of the sea. The mountain is
composed of talc, and mica slate, distinctly strati-
fied. Garnet, schorl, feldspar, and quartz, occur in
various parts. On the E. side, plumbago is found
in large quantities. Crucibles and pencils have
been manufactured from it, but for the latter, it
proves not very good. The summit when seen
at a distance of 4 or 5 m. appears rounded and
destitute of those high cliffs and mural precipices
belonging to granitic mountains. The prospect
from the pinnacle is very extensive; thirty
ponds of fresh water, some of which are so large
as to contain islands of 8 or 10 acres, may be
seen from it, in the immediate vicinity. Near the
base of the mountain, is the Monadnock Mineral
Moncontour, a town of France, department of
Vienne, 27 m. N. W. of Poitiers.