Plympton, ph. Plymouth Co. Mass. 32 m. S. E.
Boston, with manufactures of iron. Pop. 920.
Plympton, a borough in Devonshire, Eng. It
had once a castle, now in ruins; and is one ofthe
stannary towns for tin. It is seated near the Plym,
7 m E. of Plymouth and 218 W. by S. of Lon-
Plynlimmon, a vast and lofty mountain of
xe2x80xa2 Wales, partly in Montgomeryshire, and partly in
Cardiganshire. The Severn, the Wye, and other
rivers, have their source in this mountain.
Po, the principal river of Italy, which has its
source at Monte Viso, in Piedmont, flows N. E.
to Turin, and thence proceeding in an easterly
course it divides Austrian Italy from the states of
Parma, Modena, and thw popes dominion, and
enters the gulf of Venice by four principal months.
In its course it receives several rivers, and often
overflows its banks, as most of those rivers de-
scend from the Alps,and are increased by the melt-
ing of the snow. It is crosse'd like the Rhine hy
Po, a river of China, in the province of Kiang-
si, which runs into the Po-yang-hou, a small dis-
tance from Jao-tcheou.
Pocotaligo, p.v. Beaufort Dis. S. C.
Poeklington, a town in E. Yorkshire, Eng. on a
stream that runs into the Derwent, 14 m. E. of
York and 194 N. by W. of London.
Podenstein, a town of Bavarian Franconia, near
the source of the Putlach, 30 m. S. E. of Bamberg.
Podgorza, a free city of tbe Austrian empire,
in Galicia, seated on the Vistula, opposite to
Podlachia, one of the eight palatinates of Po-
land, bounded N. and E. by the river Bog. S. by
the palatinate of Lublin, and W. by the Vistula.
It has an area of 5,520 sq. m. with 438,000 inhabi-
tants. The capital is Siedlce.
Podolia, a government of Russia, wrested from
Poland, in 1793. The Dniester separates it from
Moldavia on the S. W., and the Bog crosses it
from the N in a S. E. direction. It has an area
of 20,400 sq. m. with 1,330,000 inhabitants.
Podolsk, a town of Russia, in the government
of Moscow 28 m. S. of Moscow.
Podor, a fortress of Africa, on the river Senegal,
built bv the French. It was ceded to the English
in 1763, but afterwards taken by the French, and
confirmed to them by the peace of 1783. Long.
14. 20. W .lat 17. 1. N. In the woods and plains
in the neighborhood, are found numerous herds
of the harnessed antelope. An animal singularly
mark rot with stripes crossing each other and re-
sembling a harness.
Poggity, a town of Toscany, with a handsome
palace. 8 m S. E. of Florence.
PoggidktnA. a town of Tuscany, with the ruins
of a citadel, sealed near the Elsa, 20 m. S. of
Poggu. an Island in the Indian Ocean, on the
W. side of the island of Sumatra, and separated
from the N. end txc2xa3 that of Nassau by a narrow
channel, which contains a number of smaller isl-
ands. the whole of which are sometimes called
the Nassau or Poggy islands. It is triangular,
and about 20 m. in length. Long. 99. 33. E., lat.
2. 20. S.
Point, a township of Northumberland Co. Pa.
Point Ccmptf. a parish of Louisiana. Pop. 5,936.
Point Coupee is the capital.
Point Loboddit, p.v. Franklin Co. Missouri, on
Pointopoks, p.v. Clermont Co. Ohio
Point Pleasant, villages in Windham Co. Vt.
Mason Co. Va., Clermont Co Ohio Martin Co.
Point Remove, p.v. Pulaski Co. Ark.
Poirino. a town of the Sardinian states, in
Piedmont; seated on the Bonna, 14 m. S. xc2xa3. of
Poissy, a town of France, department of Seine-
et-Oise, the birthplace of Louis XI.; seated near
the forest of St. Germain, 15 m. N. W. of Paris.
Poitiers, a town of France, capital of the de-
partment of Vienne, and a bishops see. Its pop
is not in proportion to its extent; for it includes
a number of gardens and fields within its circuit.
It has several Roman antiquities, particularly an
amphitheatre, partly demolished ; and a triumphal
arch, which serves as a gate to the great street.
Here, in 1356, Edward the Black Prince gained
a victory over the French, taking prisoners king
John and his son Philip, whom he brought to
England. The principal manufactures are stock-
ings, woolen caps, gloves, and combs. It is seated
on a hill, on the river Clain,85 m. S. W. of Tours
and 120 N. bv E- of Bordeaux. Long. 0. 21. E.,
lat. 46. 35. N.
Poitou, a province of France, which now forms
the three departments of Vendee, Vienne, and
Polo, a strong sea-port of Istria, and a bishops
see. Here are large remains of a Roman amphi-
theatre and a triumphal arch. It is seated on a
mountain, near a bay of the gulf of Venice, 38 m.
S. of Capo d Istria. Long. 14. 9. E., lat. 45.13. N
Poland, a large country of Europe, bounded on
the X. by Prussia, Courland, Livonia, and Russia
W. by the Baltic, Brandenburg, and Silesia, S. by
Hungarv and Moldavia, and E. by Russia and the
territories wrested by that power from the Turks.
It was formerly divided into four principal parts,
Great Poland, Little Poland, Red Russia, and
Lithuania. In 1772 a partition of this country,
projected by the king of Prussia, was effected by
that monarch, in conjunction with the empress of
Russia and the emperor of Germany. By this
partition one-third of the country was wrested
from the republic, the diet being compelled, by a
foreign force, to make and to ratify this important
cession. The three partitioning powers, more-
over, forcibly effected a great change in the con-
stitution. In 1791, however, the king and the
nation, in concurrence, almost unanimously, and
without any foreign intervention, established
another constitution, and one so unexceptionable
every way that it was celebrated by Mr. Burke
as a revolution whereby the conditions of all were
made better and the rights of none infringed. By
it the broils of an elective monarchy, of which
Poland, on almost every vacancy of the throne,
had been involved in the calamities of war, were
avoided, the throne being declared hereditary in
the house of Saxony. A few of the nobility, how-
ever, discontented at the generous sacrifice of
some of their privileges, repaired to the court of
Russia; and, their representations concurring with
the ambitious views of the empress, she sent an
army into Poland, under pretext of being guaran-
tee of the constitution, of 1772. Her interference
was too powerful to be resisted ; and this new
constitution was overthrown. But the principal
object for which the Russian army entered Po
land was not yet attained. The empress had
planned, in conjunction with the kind of Prus
sia, a second partition of this country, which
took place in 1793. Such multiplied oppressions