the Bristol Channel, surrounded by hills, 7 m.
W. of Minehead and 170 W. of London.
Porrogong. See Paro.
Porselou, a rich and commercial town of the
km*dom of Siam. It is surrounded with 14 bas-
tions, and situate on a large river, 300 m. N. of
its mouth in the gulf of Siam Long. 100. 2. E.,
lat. 17. 48. N.
Port au Prince, a sea-port of St. Domingo,
seated on a bay on the W. side of the island, with
considerable trade. It was nearly burnt down in
1791, by the revolting negroes, and wins taken by
the English and royalists in 1794. Long. 72. 10.
W., lat. 18. 40. N.
Port Baltic. See Rogcrwick.
Port Byron, p.v. Cayuga Co. N. Y.
Port Conway, p.v. King George Co. Va.
Port Dalrymple, a harbour on the N. coast of
Van Diemens Land, where a British settlement,
dependent on the colony of Port Jackson, was es-
tablished in 1804. Launceston is the capital.
Port Desire, a harbour on the E. coast of Pata-
gonia, where ships sometimes touch in their pas-
sage to the Pacific Ocean. Long. 67. 56. W.,
lat. 47. 50. S.
Port Dessieux, p.v. St. Charles Co. Missouri.
Port Deposit, p.v. Cecil Co. Md. on the Susque-
hanna ; a canal 10 m. in length, here passes along
Port Discovery, a harbour on the W. coast of
N. America, in the gulf of Georgia. Long. 237.
20. E., lat. 48. 7. N.
Port Egmont, one of the finest harbours in the
world, on the N. W. coast of Folkland*Island,
, discovered by commodore Byron in 1765. The
whole navy of Engfand might ride here in per-
fect security from all winds ; and every thing for
the refreshment of ships is to be obtained in
abundance. Long. 55. 0. W., lat, 51. 27. S.
Port Elizabeth, p.v. Cumberland Co. N. J.
Port Franeais, a harbour on the W. coast of
N. America, discovered by Perouse in 1786. It
is of a circular form, not to be fathomed in the
middle, and bordered by peaked mountains, of an
excessive height, covered with snow. The na-
tives on this coast are described as the most
complete thieves, possessed of an activity and
obstinacy capable of executing the most difficult
projects. Peltry is abundant, particularly that
of the sea-otter. In this harbour is a small island.
Long. 137. 30. W., lat. 58. 37. N.
Port Gibson, p.v. Claiborne Co. Mississippi 45
m. N. E. Natchez.
Port Genesee, Monroe Co. N. Y. at the mouth
t of the Genesee ; on Lake Ontario ; it is a port of
entry with a custom house.
Port Glasgow, p.v. Severn Co. N. Y.
Port Glasgow, a town of Scotland, inRenfrew-
3bire, near the mouth of the Clyde, erected in
1710 to serve as the port of the city of Glasgow,
whose magistrates appoint a bailiff for its govern-
ment. The harbour is excellent, and there are ex-
tensive warehouses on the quay, belonging to
the Glasgow merchants. Contiguous to the town,
and near the shore, stands the castle of Newark,
a strong fortified edifice. It fa 4 m. E. of Green-
ock and 20 W. by N. of Glasgow.
Port Jackson, a bay and harbour'on the coast of
New S. Wales, 13 m. N. of Botany Bay. The
capes that form its entrance are high, rugged, and
perpendicular cliffs ; and the harbour fa one of the
noblest in the world, extending 14 m. in length
with numerous creeks or coves. The name of Port
Jackson was given to it by captain Cook, who
observed it in sailing along the coast. See Syd-
Port, Jervis, a village on the Delaware in Or-
ange Co. N. Y. at a point where the states ot
New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania join. A
canal extends from this place to the Hudson in
one direction and to the coal region in Pensylva-
nia, on the other, it is 108 m. in length.
Port Kent, p.v. Essex Co. N. Y.
Port Louis a strong town of France, depart-
ment of Morbihan, with a citadel and a good
harbour. It stands on the extremity of a penin-
sula, at the mouth of the Biavet, 27 m. W. of
Vannes. Long. 3 18. W., lat. 47. 40. N.
Poplin, ph. Rockingham Co. N. H. Pop.
Port Louis, the capital of the island of Mauri-
tius, or Isle of France, situate on the W. side of
the island in a low and flat valley, surrounded by
mountains. In 1817 it was almost entirely burnt
down, but has since been rebuilt. It was long the
chief settlement of the French in this part of the
world, but now belongs to the British. Long.
57. 32. E., lat. 20. 10. N.
Port'Mahon, a sea-port and chief place of a dis-
trict ofthe island of Minorca, with an excellent har-
bour. It is built chiefly on lofty rocks. The
houses are in general good, and are all provided
with cisterns, and many with terraces. The
Place DArmes is large and handsome; on one
side are barracks capable of containing 1,200 men*
The only public walk is the Alameda, which is
merely an alley of trees. On one side of the har-
bour is a dock-yard, and on the other a natural
mole. Long. 4. 5. E., lat. 36. 17. N.
Port Paix, a town on the N. coast of St. Do-
mingo, with a good harbour, opposite the island
of Tortue. Long. 73. 2. W., lat. 19. 58. N.
Port Patrick, a sea-port of Scotland, inWigton-
shire, confined by the sea on one side, and on the
other by overhanging rocks and hills. It is near-
ly opposite Donaghadee, in Ireland, from which
it is 20 m. distant; and packet boats sail hence
for that place every day. The harbour is good,
and has one of the finest quays in Great Britain,
with a reflecting light-house. It is 28 m. W. of
Wigton and 107 S. W. of Edinburgh. Long. 5.
3. W., lat. 54. 58. N.
Port Penn, a village of Newcastle Co. Del. on
the Delaware, opposite Reedy Island. 8 m. S. of
Port Republic, p.v. Rockingham Co. Va. 131 m
N. W. Richmond.
Port Roseway. See Shelburne.
Port Royal, a sea-port of Jamaica, once a con
siderable town, abounding in riches and trade.
In 1692 it wins destroyed by an earthquake, in
1702 by a fire, in 1722 by an inundation of the sea,
and in 1744 by a hurricane. After these extraor-
dinary calamities, the custom-house and public
offices were removed, and no market suffered to
be held here in future. It now consists of about
200 houses, built on a neck of land which juts
out several miles into the sea, and is guarded by
a strong fort. The harbour is deep, and 1,000
ships may ride in it, secure from every wind. It
is six miles, cross the bay, S. S. W. of Kingston,
Long. 76. 45. W.,lat. 18. 0. N.
Port Royal, ph. Caroline Co. Va. on the Rap-
pahannoc 30 m. below Fredericksburg; p.v.
Maryland Co. Ind; p.v. Montgomery Co
Port Royal, an island on the coast of S. Carolina,
separated from the neighbouring continent by an