Torres Vedras, a town of Portugal, in Estrema-
dura, noted for the lines erected in its vicinity by
Lord Wellington in 1810. It has a castle, four
churches, &c., and is seated near the Atlantic, 27
m. N. of Lisbon.
Torriglia, a town of the territory of Genoa, 14
m. N. E. of Genoa.
Torrington, ph. Litchfield Co. Conn. 23 m. N.
Hartford. Pop. 1,654. Here is a manufactory of
Torrington, a town in Devonshire, Eng. 194 m.
W. by S. of London.
Torsilla, a town of Sweden, in Sudermania, 43
m. W. of Stockholm.
Tortola, the principal of the Virgin Islands, in
the W. Indies, 18 m. long and 7 broad. It for-
merly belonged to the Dutch, who built a strnog
fort, from which they were expelled by the Eng-
lish in 1666. The town and harbour are at the
E. end of the island. In 1802 it was made a free
port, since which period the island has undergone
great improvements : it produces excellent cotton,
sugar, and rum. Long. 63. 0. W., lat. 18. 33. N.
Tortona, a town of the Sardinian states, in a
province of its name, with a good citadel on an
eminence. It was formerly deemed a considerable
frontier place ; was taken by the allies in 1744, by
the Spaniards in 1745, by the French in 1796, by
the Russians and Austrians in 1799, regained by
the French the same year, and by them delivered
up to the Austrians in 1814. It is seated on the
Scrivia, 27 ra. S. WT. of Milan. Long. 8. 53. E.
lat. 44. 54. N.
Tortorella. a town of Naples, in Principato Ci-
tra, 5 m. N. E. ofTolicastro.
Tortosa, a town of Spain, in Catalonia and a
bishops see, with a citadel. It is divided into the
Old and New Town, both surrounded by fortifica-
tions. The entrance is over a large bridge of
boats, on the river Ebro. The cathedral, the roy-
al college of Dominicans, and the convent of the
Carmelites are the most remarkable edifices.
Here is a great deal of silk and oil, and very fine
pottersware, which resembles porcelain. Tortosa
was taken by the French in 1810 after a short
siege ; but restored in 1814. It is seated partly on
a plain and partly on a hill, in a country fertile in
corn and fruits, and abounding with quarries and
mines of silver, iron, alabaster, jasper of divers
colors, and stones with veins of gold. 48 m. S.
W. of Tarragona and 96 S. E. of Saragossa. Lono-.
0. 35. E., lat. 40. 43. N.
Tortosa, the ancient Orthosia a town of Syria,
with a castle. It is surrounded by lofty walls, and
stands near the Mediterranean,35 m. N. N. E. of
Tortue, or Tortuga, an island of the W. Indies,
near the N. coast of St.Domingo, so named from
the great number of tortoises found on and near it.
Here the French buccaniers used to fortifv them-
selves. It is about 20 m. long and 4 broad, and
has a safe harbour, but difficult of access. Loner.
73. 10. W., lat. 20. 10. N.
Tortuga, or Sal Tortuga, an uninhabited island
near the coast of Terra Firma, 60 m. W. of the isl-
and of Margaretta, and about 36 in circnmference.
There are a few goats on it, and the tortoises
come upon the sandy banks to lay their eggs At
the E. end is a large salt-pond, where the salt be-
gins to kern in April; and for some months after
ships come here to lade salt. At the W. end is a
small harbour with fresh water. Lonor. 64. 46
W., lat. 11. 16. N.
Tosa, a sea-port of Spain, in Catalonia, on a bay
which forms a good harbour. It is built partly
on a plain and partly on a steep hill, which pro-
jects into the sea. On the top of the hill is a
strong citadel, with other fortifications. It is 57
m. N. E. of Barcelona. Long. 2. 54. E.,lat. 41.42. N.
Toseanella, a town of Austrian Italy, 5 m -E. N.
E. of Salo.
Tosena, a town of Sweden, in W. Gotuland,
20 m. W. N. W. of Uddevalla.
jrosso, a town of Sweden, in W. Gothland, 42
m. N. N. E. of Uddevalla.
Tost, a town of Prussian Silesia, in the princi-
pality of Oppeln, with a castle, 25 m. E. S. E of
Tostar, or Suster, a town of Persia, capital of
Kusistan, on the river Sable. It was once a cel
ebrated city, where the kings of Persia had a
magnificent palace, in which they deposited their
archives and part of their treasure. In Scrip-
ture it is called Shushan, and the river is nam-
ed Ulai. At present here are manufactures
of silks, stuffs, and rich cloth. It is 170 rn. W.
S. W. of Ispahan. Long. 49. 2. E., lat. 31. 30. N.
Totness, a borough in Devonshire, Eng. 196 m.
W. by S. of London.
Tottenham, a village in Middlesex, Eng. 5 m
N. of London.
Toul, a fortified town ofFrance, department of
Meprthe. The cathedral and episcopal palace are
handsome structures. It is seated on the Mo-
selle, in d, plain, almost surrounded by moun-.
tains, 13 m. W. by S. of Nancy, and 34 W. S
W. of Metz.
Toulon, a fortified city and sea-port of France,
capital of the department of Var. It is divided
into the old and new quarter : the former, which
is ill built, has nothing remarkable in it hut the
town-house, and a long street, shaded with
trees, called the Rue aux Arbres ; the other con-
tains the magnificent works constructed by Louis
XIV. many fine houses, and a grand oblong square
lined with trees, and serving as a parade. The
old and new harbour communicate with each other
by means of a canal. The old haven has a noble
quay, and is protected by two moles, begun by-
Henry IV. The new haven was constructed by
Louis XIV., as were the fortifications ; it con-
tains an arsenal, a rope-walk, a park of artillery,
dock-yards, basins, and every thing to be expect-
ed in the second port for men of war in this coun-
try. The galleys, transferred from Marseilles
some years ago, occupy a basin in the new port.
Many of the galley-slaves are artisans, and some
merchants ; they no longer sleep on board the
galleys, but are provided with accommodations on
shore, in a vast building, erected for that purpose.
Both the old and new port have an outlet into
the outer road or harbour, which is 10 m. in cir-
cuit, surrounded by hills, and the entrance de-
fended, on both sides, by a fort and batteries.
Toulon is the only mart in the Mediterranean for
the re-exportation of the products of the E. In-
dies. In 1706 it was bombarded by the allies,
both by land and sea, by which almost the whole xe2x96xa0
town was reduced to a heap of ruins, and several
ships burned ; but they were at last obliged to
raise the siege. In 1721 it experienced the dread-
ful ravages of a pestilence. In 1793 it capitulat-
ed, in the name of Louis XVII., to the British,
who not finding the place tenable, evacuated it the
same year, after having destroyed the arsenal,
&c. Toulon is seated on a bay of the Mediterra-
nean, 37 m. S. E. of Marseilles and 517 S. S. E
of Paris. Long. 5. 55. E., lat. 43. 7. N.