Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 27
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


ment of the revolution, when, en-
tering the service of his country,
he died in her defence at White
Plains, Oct. 28,1776. Incorporated
July 2,1831. Population, 1830,421.

Aina, Me.

This town is situated in the coun-
ty of Lincoln, 10 miles N. from
Wiscasset, 54 N. E. from Portland,
and 20 S. S. E. from Augusta. In-
corporated 1794. Population, 1837,
1,138. This is a pleasant town and
well watered by Sheepscot river.

Alstead, N. II.,

Cheshire co., is 12 miles S. E.
from Charlestown,14 N.from Keene
and 50 W. by S. from Concord.
This town is well watered by small
streams. Cold river passes through
the N. W. part; and some of the
branches of Ashuelot river have
their sources in this town. There
are a number of ponds, the princi-
pal of which is Warren’s pond;—
length, 250 rods, breadth, 150.
Perch and pickerel are here caught
in great abundance. The soil is
strong and productive, and the farms
generally well cultivated. Manu-
factures flourish in this town, and
great attention is paid to education.
Alstead was originally called New-
ton, and was granted by charter,
August 6, 1763, to Samuel Chase
and 69 others. General Amos Shep-
ard, who was for many years a
member' of the jGeneral Court of
this state, and President of the Sen-
ate from 1797 to 1804, resided in
this town, and was one of its prin-
cipal inhabitants from 1777 to the
time of his death, Jan. 1,1812. By
his persevering industry, his econ-
omy and correctness in business,
and at the same time, by a rigid ad-
herence to uprightness and integri-
ty in his dealings with his fellow
men, he acquired a handsome for-
tune, and was in many things, a
pattern worthy of imitation. Pop-
ulation in 1830, 1,552. This town
has 6000 sheep.

Alton, X. H.

Strafford co. This town lies 22
miles N. E. from Concord, and 25
N. W. from Dover, and is bounded
N. by Winnepisiogee lake and bay.
The town is rough and uneven ; the
soil hard and rocky, hut productive
when well cultivated. The growth
of wood is chiefly oak, beech, maple
and pine. The principal elevations
are Mount-Major and Prospect Hill
Merrymeeting bay extends S. about
1800 rods into this town, where it
receives the waters of Merrymeet-
ing river. Half-moon pond, be-
tween Alton and Barnstead, is 300
rods long and 150 wide. .This town
was originally called
New Dur-
ham Gore
, and was settled in 1770,
by Jacob Chamberlain and others.
It was incorporated Jan. 15, 1796.
Population in 1830, 1,993. This
town has 2000 sheep,

Amesbury, Mass.

This town is situated on the N
side of Merrimack river, in the
county of Essex, 40 miles N. E.
from Boston, 6 N. W. from New-
buryport, and 7 N. E. from Haver-
hill. Population, 1837, 2,567. It
was taken from—Salisbury in 1668,
and is separated from it by Powow
river, a navigable stream for vessels
of 300 tons. A pond, covering
about 1000 acres, hack of the town,
90 feet above the sea, serves as a
reservoir for a constant and exten-
sive water power. The manufac-
ture of flannel and satinet is very
extensively pursued. The amount
of those articles manufactured in
the year ending April 1, 1837, was
$425,000. Many vessels are built
here of superior timber, and the
manufacture of boots, shoes, leath-
er, chairs, phaetons, gigs, and car-
ryalls is wery considerable. The
total amount of the various manu-
factures of this place is about $500,-
000 annually. About half the pop-
ulation of the town' is engaged in
mechanical labor. Josiah Bartlett,
M. D. one of the signers of the


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.