Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 30
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


gusta, and 70 N. W. from Portland.
It is finely watered by Ellis’ river, a
branch of the Androscoggin. This
town is an extensive glebe of up-
land and intervale of excellent
quality, surrounded by White Cap,
Bald Pate, Blue and Cone moun-
tains. The town was first settled
by industrious and intelligent farm-
ers from Essex county, Mass., in
1790, and most of its present popu-
lation maintain the characteristics
of their fathers.

Andover, W. H.

Merrimack co. It lies 20 miles
N. W. from Concord, and about 18
E. by N. from Newport. Popula-
tion, 1830, 1,324. The Blackwa-
ter in the S. W. part of the town,
is the principal stream ; but nu-
merous rills and brooks find their
way down the hills into the ponds
or Blackwater. There are six
ponds in Andover, the largest of
which are Chance and Loon ponds,
both picturesque, and their wa-
ters pure. The surface of this
town is extremely uneven, and
in some parts rocky and barren.
Tire Ragged Mountains pass along
the N., and the Kearsarge extends
its base along the W. The soil is
in many parts of good quality, and
pleasant villages are formed in dif-
erent parts of the town. This town
was granted in 1746, and was called
*ew Breton, injaonor of the captors
of Cape Bretor in 1745; in which
expedition several of the grantees
were engaged. It retained this
name until June 25, 1779, when it
was incorporated by its present
name. The first inhabitant of Ando-
ver was Joseph Fellows, who mov-
ed into the place in 1761: he died
March 14, 1811, aged 84. Among
the deceased citizens who are re-
membered with respect by the in-
habitants, we may mention Dr. Silas
Barnard, the first physician in town,
a native of Bolton, Mass., who died
June 25,1795 : Dr. Jacob B. Moore,
a native of Georgetown, Me., born

Sept., 5, 1772; settled in Andover
in 1796; died Jan. 10, 1818. He
possessed respectable poetical tal-
ents; was a writer on.political sub-
jects in the public papers, and was
eminent in his profession. Jonathan
Weare, Esq., a civii magistrate,
highly respected for his integrity,
died in 1816. Mr. Joseph Noyes
was much honored for his charitable
disposition. In 1782 a congrega-
tional church was formed and the
Rev. Jossiah Babcock, of Milton,
Mass., was ordained. Andover,
though rough, is well adapted for
grazing. It feeds about 4,000 sheep.

Andover, Vt.

Windsor co. Emigrants from En-
field, Ct., first made a permanent
settlement in this town, in 1776. It
was organized, as a town, in 1781.
It is a mountainous township. Mark-
hum and Terrible mountains lie in
the western part. The land is une-
ven, the soil is hard, and the town
possesses hut few water privileges.
Population, 1830, 975. It lies 20
miles S. W. from Windsor , 37 N.
E. from Bennington, and 68 S. from
Montpelier. The number of sheep
in this town is about 4,500.

Andover, Mass.

Essex co. This town lies on the
south side of the Merrimack river,
and is well watered by the Shaw-
slieen river; and hy Great Pond
and Haggett’s Pond, covering an
area of 721 acres. It is 20 miles
N. by. W. of Boston, 15 N. N. W.
of Salem, 10 E. of Lowell, and 43
S. S. E. of Concord, N. H. This
town was first settled in 1643. In-
corporated, 1646. Population, 1837,
4,878. This town has a valuable
water power, which is used for
manufacturing purposes to a great
extent. The value of its manufac-
tures, for the year ending April 1,
1837, amounted to $624,450. They
consisted of woollen goods, boots,
shoes, leather, flax, soapstone, ma-
chinery, tin and cabinet wares,


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.