Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 35
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Auburn, Mass.

Worcester co. Until 1837, this
town had been called Ward, in hon-
or of General Ward, of the revolu-
tionary army. It was incorporated
in 1778. Population, 1837, 1,183.
Auburn is a pleasant agricultural
town. French river passes through
it. It lies 5 miles S. by W. from
Worcester, and 45 W. S. W. from

Augusta, Me.

This delightful town, the Capi-
of the state, and chief town
of the county of Kennebec, is in
N. Lat. 44° 18' 43" and W. Lon.
69° 50'. It lies 146 miles N. E.
from Concord, N. H.; 182 E. N. E.
from Montpelier, Vt.; 163N.N. E.
from Boston, Mass. ; 203 N. N. E.
from Providence, R. I.; 260 N. E.
from Hartford, Ct.; and 595 miles
N. E. from Washington. Augusta is
situated at the head of sloop naviga-
tion on Kennebec river, 43 miles
from the. sea. The town lies on
both sides of the Kennebec, and
contains an area of 8 by 6 miles.
It was first settled in 1771, and in-
corporated in 1797. In 1836 it con-
tained 6,300 inhabitants. Its In-
dian name was
Cushnoe. There
was, in its early settlement, a fort,
and four block houses built of tim-
ber, to afford protection to the in-
habitants from the Indians, who
were then very troublesome. T^ie
fort was called
Fort Western, ami
is still standing on the east bank of
the river, and is now occupied as a
dwelling house. This is already a
very flourishing town, not only in
its agricultural pursuits, but in its
commerce and manufactures. The
tonnage of the place is about 3000
tons. Its exports are lumber of all
kinds, oats, peas, beans, hay, pota-
toes, wool, cider, apples, &c.—
When the extent and resources of
the noble Kennebec and its tributa-
ries, above tide water, are consid-
ered, some idea may be formed of
the vast quantity of lumber that
must pass this place on its passage
to market.

The Kennebec bridge, uniting the
east and west parts of the town is
a fine structure. It was built in
1799; is 520 feet in length, and
cost $28,000. The town rises by
an easy ascent on both sides of the
river to a level surface ; it is well
laid out, neatly built, and contains
many handsome dwelling houses.
Many of the streets are decorated
by trees, planted on each side ;—a
striking evidence of the good taste
of the inhabitants.

The State House is a spacious and
elegant structure, located upon a
beautiful eminence about half a
mile from the village, on the road
towards Hallowell, and commands
an extensive and very delightful
prospect. It is built of hammered
granite, or rather gneiss of a white
color, and very much resembles
marble, at a distance. The materi-
al of which it was built, was quar-
ried from the spot on which it stands.
It has a spacious hall for the Rep-
resentatives ; two of convenient size
for the Senate and the Executive
Departments', and rooms for all the
offices immediately connected with
the Government. In front is an ex-
commonj adorned with trees
tastefully arranged;, which, when
grown into shades, will afford a de-
lightful promenade.

The United States9 Arsenal
are situated upon the east
bank of the river, in view of the vil-
lage, and are chiefly constructed of
stone, and present a very fine ap-
pearance. The Government has
expended large sums of money in
their construction, and it is expect-
ed that soon the Government will
make it an
Arsenal of Construc-
There are at present about
2000 stand of arms deposited here,
besides cannon and other munitions
of war. The Post is commanded by
a captain of the Ordnance Depart*


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.