Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 57
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


boring towns of Quincy, Dorchester, Milton, Roxbury, Brookline, Brigh-
ton, Watertown, Cambridge, Charlestown, Medford, Malden, and Chel-
sea, although not included in the city charter, are component parts of the
city, and are as much associated with it in all its commercial, manufac-
turing, literary, and social relations and feelings, as Greenwich, Man-
hattanville, and Harlem are with the city of New York; or Southwark
and the Northern Liberties with Philadelphia.

The population of Boston in 1700, was 7,000—1722, 10,567—1765,
15,520—1790, 18,038—1800, 24,937—1810, 33,250—1820, 43,298—1830,
61,391, and in 1837, 80,325.


The peninsular situation of Boston requires many artificial avenues to
and from the surrounding country. Until 1786, the “Neck,” between
Boston and Roxbury, one mile and 117 feet in length, was the only pas-
sage to it by land. On the 17th June, of that year, the
Charles River
leading from Boston to Charlestown, was opened for travel. It
was incorporated, March 9,1785. This Jridge is 1,503 feet in length, 42
in breadth, and cost $50,000. Net revenue in 1834,~~$9,383. This
bridge by its charter becomes state property in 1856.

West Boston Bridge, leading to Cambridge, was opened on the 23d
of November, 1793. It was incorporated March 9, 1792. Length of
the bridge, 2,758 feet—abutment and causeway, 3,432—total length,
6,190 feet. Cost, $76,667. Net revenue in 1834, $12,928. This bridge
will become state property in 1879.

South Boston Bridge, leading from Boston Neck to South Boston, was
incorperated March 6,1804, and opened for travel in July, 1805. Length,
1,550 feet—width, 40. It cost the proprietors about $50,000. It is now
city property—free.

Canal Bridge, from Boston to Lechmere Point, in East Cambridge,
was incorporated February 27, 1807, and opened for travel in August,
1809. Length, 2,796 feet—width, 40. A lateral bridge extends from
this to
Prison Point, Charlestown. Length, 1,820—width, 35 feet.
Net receipts in 1834, $3,173. This bridge will become state property in

The Western Avenue, leading from Beacon street to SeioelVs Point,
in Brookline, was incorporated June 14, 1814, and commenced in 1818.
It was opened for travel, July 2,1821. This avenue is a substantial dam
across Charles river bay, about a mile and a half in length, and from 60
to 100 feet in width. This dam encloses about 600 acres of flats, over
which the tide formerly flowed from 7 to 10 feet. A partition dam di-
vides this enclosure, and forms,, by the aid of flood and ebb gates, a full


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.