Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 79
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


good. Cook’s pond is the source
of the W. branch of Salmon-Fall
river. There is also another small
pond, covering about 15 acres, di-
rectly on the top of Moose moun-
tain, which has always about the
same quantity of water, and a va-
riety of fish in it. Population, in
1830, 679.

Brookfield, Vt.

Orange co. On the high lands
between Onion and White rivers;
40 miles N. by W. from Windsor,.
16 S. from Montpelier, and bounded
hy Chelsea on the S. E. It is wa-
tered by a number of ponds and
springs, but has no important mill
privileges. This is a fine grazing
town, and feeds about
10,000 sheep.
The products of the dairy are con-
siderable. Here are some manu-
factures, and an inexhaustible bed
of marl, from which lime is made.
The town was first settled in 1^79,
and organized in 1781. Population,
1830, 1,677.

Brookfield, Mass.

Worcester co. The Indian Qua-
, a large, fertile and beautiful
township, in two parishes, well wa-
tered by several large ponds, which
give rise to a principal branch of
Chickopee river. For about forty
years after its first settlement, in
1660, this town suffered exceeding-
ly by the Indians. The ponds af-
ford fine fish of various kinds, and
in this town is a mineral spring of
some celebrity. It lies 58 miles
W. from Boston, 18 W. from Wor-
cester, and 7 E. from Ware. In-
corporated, 1673. Population, 1830,
2,342; 1837, 2,514. The agricul-
tural products of this town are but-
ter, cheese, wool, and fine beef cat-
tle. The manufactures consist of
boots, shoes, leather, iron castings,
ploughs, chairs, cabinet ware, palm-
leal hats, silver plate, shoe ma-
kers rolling and shingle machines,
sleighs, carpenters’ hammers, coach
wrenches, sewing silk, and wooden
legs. These manufactures, for the
year ending April 1, 1837, amount-
ed to $248,502, exclusive of the

Brookfield, Ct.

Fairfield co. This town lies 33
miles S. W. from New Haven, 24
N. hy W. from Fairfield, and
6 N.
by E. from Danbury. It was taken
from New Milford, Danbury, and
Newtown, in 1788, and named af-
ter the first minister, Rev. Thomas
Brooks, who was ordained when
the church was organized, in 1758.
The surface of the town is some-
what broken, but the soil is strong,
and well adapted to the culture
of grain. The rocks in many parts
of the town are limestone, and af-
ford marble. The N. E. boundary
is washed by the Housatonick riv-
er, over which is a bridge to Mil-
ford ; and Still river passes nearly
through its centre. Fish, particu-
larly shad, are taken in its waters.
Population, 1830, 1,261.

Brookline, X. H.

Hillsborough co. On the S. line
of the state. It is 7 miles from Am-
herst, 35 from Concord, and 13 from
Boston. Nisitissit is the only river
in Brookline. It rises in the N. E.
part of Mason; passes through the
S. part of Milford into Brookline,
pursuing a S. E. course to Potanipo
pond. From the pond it runs S. E.
to Hollis, passing through the S. W.
corner of that town into Pepperell,
where it empties into Nashua river.
Potanipo, or Tanapus pond, is situ-
ated near the meeting house. It is
about a mile long and one third of a
mile wide. Brookline formerly be-
longed to Massachusetts. It was
incorporated March 30, 1769, by
the name of
Raby. In Nov. 1798,
the name was altered by an act of
the legislature to Brookline. Pop-
ulation, in 1830,627.

Brookline, Vt.

Windham co. Set off from Put-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.