Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 95
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


about tbe fort, had not the desired
effect. The heroic band were not
appalled. They refused to capitu-
late. At .length an interview be-
tween the' commanders took place.
The Frenchman shewed his forces,
and described the horrid massacre
that must ensue unless the fort was
surrendered. “ My men are not
'afraid to die,” was the'answer made
by Capt. Stevens. The attack con-
tinued with increased fury until
the end of the third day, when the
enemy returned to Canada, and left
Capt. Stevens in possession of the
fort. Capt. Stevens, for his gallant-
ry on this occasion, was presented
by Sir Charles Knowles with an el-
egant sword; and from this circum-
stance the township, when it was
incorporated, in 1753, took the name
of Charlestown. Population, in
1830, 1,778.

Clmrlestowii, Mass.

Middlesex co. The Indian name
of this town was
Mishawun. First
settled, 1628. Incorporated, 1829.
Population, 1820, 6,591 :    1830,

8,787; 1837, 10,101. Charlestown
is a peninsula, formed hy Charles
Mystic rivers, and is united
to Boston hy Charles and Warrert
bridges. It is also united to Boston
as a port of entry, and in its various
commercial and manufacturing pur-
suits. This town is noted for its
sacrifices in the cause of liberty;
and its soil will ever he dear to the
patriot’s bosom. The town is not
so regularly laid out as Philadel-
phia, yet it is neatly built, and con-
tains mdny elegant public and pri-
vate edifices. The streets are wide
and airy, and many of them have
recently been planted with trees
for shade. Considerable shipping
is owned here, engaged in foreign
and domestic commerce. The an-
nual value of the cod and mackerel
fisheries is about §40,000. The
value of the manufactures, in
Charlestown, the year ending April

1,1837, exclusive of a large amount
of leather, was §390,000. The ar
tides manufactured were as fol-
lows: soap, candles, boots, shoes,
hats, morocco, chairs, cabinet ware,
vessels, combs, tin ware, and spirits.

The United States’ Navy Yard
was first established in this town
about the year 1798. The yard is
situated on the N. side of Charles
river, on a plot of ground of about
60 acpes. It is enclosed by a high
w alb of durable masonry, and con-
tains several ware-houses, dwell-
ing-houses for the officers, and a
large amount of navaUstores, live
oak and other timber. It also con-
tains three large ship-houses, in
which are the Vermont and Caro-
lina of 74, and the Cumberland
frigate of 44 guns. These ships
can be launched and ready for sea
in a very short time.

The dry dock at this place is of
hewn granite, and of unrivalled
masonry. It is 341 feet in length,
80 in width, and 30 in depth. It
cost $670,089. This dock was com-
pleted and received the
on the 24th of June, 1833.—
Connected "with this establishment
are a naval hospital and magazine,
at Chelsea, and a large ropewalk in
the yard; other additions are con-
templated. This is considered one
of the best naval depots in the Uni-
ted States.

McLean Asylum. This estab-
lishment is located on a beautiful
rise of ground, in Charlestown, near
East Cambridge, and about a mile
and a half from the City Hall, in
Boston. The buildings are large,
and exceedingly well adapted to
their philanthropic design. They
cost about §186,000. This House
was opened for patients on the
of October, 1818.

Belonging to, and surrounding
this Asylum, are about 15 acres of
land,appropriated to courts and gar-
dens. These are laid out with grav-
elled walks. The former are furnish-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.