1200 pounds. The value of wool,
the growth of 1836, sold for ,*>5,522.
TheTIoosack river passes through
the town. Although a mountain-
ous township, the soil has been
rendered productive by the industry
of the people. It has some manu-
factures of leather and shoes. 125
miles W. N. W. from Boston, and
16 N. by E. from Lenox. Popula-
tion, 1837, 924. Incorporated, 1793.
New Haven co. Taken from
Wallingford in 1780. It lies 14
miles N. from New Haven, and 25
S. E. from Hartfotd. Population,
1830, 1,780. The Quinnipiac river
and Farmington canal pass through
the town. Cheshire has an un-
even, but good soil, with a very
pleasant village, and an Episcopal
academy, 54 by 34 feet;—a brick
building of considerable taste. Ag-
riculture is the chief occupation of
Penobscot co. Incorporated, 1834.
Population, 1837, 323. See Bar-
Chester, 3Sf. H.,
Rockingham co., is 17miles W. S.
W. from Exeter, 30 W. S. W. from
Portsmouth, 17 N. W. from Haver-
hill, and 23 S. E. from Concord.
A branch of Exeter river, called
“The Branch,” flows through the
N. E. part of Chester, beside which
there is no stream deserving men-
tion. Massabesick pond is the larg-
est body of fresh water in the coun-
ty, and contains about 1,500 acres.
The line between this town and
Manchester passes more than 2
miles through the westerly part of
this pond. The Indians had a set-
tlement of 10 or 12 wigwams on an
island in this pond, vestiges of
which, itissaid, may still be seen.
A considerable portion of the town
possesses a good soil, and many of
the large swells yield in fertility to
none in the state. There are sever-
al large and valuable meadows. In
this town are two caves, sometimes
visited by strangers. That which
was earliest noticed, is situated in
Mine hill, near the east side of
Massabesick pond. The entrance
is about 5 feet high and 2 1-2 wide.
The cavern extends into the hill, in
a northern direction, about 80 feet,
of sufficient dimensions to admit a
person to pass. Its form is very ir-
regular, and its .height and breadth
various, from 2 to 12 feet. The oth-
er is in the westerly side of Rattle-
snake hill, in the S. W. part of the
town, in a ledge of coarse granite,
nearly 40 feet high. It has two
entrances. The north entrance is
about 11 feet high and 4 broad.
Native sulphur is found in this town
in small quantities, imbedded in
tremolite. Granite and gneiss are
the prevailing rocks, and handsome
specimens of graphic granite are
sometimes found. The village in
this town, is pleasant, and stands
chiefly on a long street. It is the
principal place of business in this
part of the county, and is situated
on an elevated rise, commanding
one of the most extensive prospects
in New England. From this hill,
the ocean, though more than 20
miles distant, may, in a clear day,
be distinctly seen. Population,
1830, 2,039. Incorporated, 1722.
Windsor co. First settled, 1764.
Population, 1830, 2,320. Three
considerable streams form William’s
river and give Chester a good water
power. The land is uneven, but
fertile and productive. This is a
very pleasant town, with two hand-
some villages, manufactures of va-
rious kinds,and about 10,000 sheep.
This is a great thoroughfare for trav-
ellers from the eastern part of New
England to the Hudson river, near
Troy, N. Y. The passage over the
Green Mountains, from Chester to
Manchester, is considered the hest