Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 108
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


market, it has been ascertained by
a recent examination (made by Mr.
A. H. Hayes, of Roxbury, Mass.,
and other eminent chemists and
geologists,) that the stone from this
quarry is perfectly free from those
oxides, or other mineral substances,
which on exposure to the atmos-
phere, mar the beauty of much of
the New England granite. This
stone quarries easily; the great ele-
vation and dip of the ledge, and its
proximity to the river, giving it facil-
ities of working and transportation,
if is believed unequalled. From the
base of the ledge to the bank of the
Merrimack, a rail-way is contem-
plated, the proprietors of the ledge
having already obtained a charter
for that purpose. As the great fa-
cility of transportation by way of
the river to the markets, becomes
known, together with the fact, that
the upward freight would, during a
great portion of the year, go far
towards remunerating the cost of
transportation of this stone to the
seaboard—the situation, extent, and
value of this quarry will he seen
and appreciated. On several large
perpendicular faces of the ledge,
protected by shelving rocks from
vegetable stains, but exposed for
ages perhaps to the atmosphere, the
stone is found to be entirely free
from any coloring or stain, preserv-
ing its natural color. The amount
of the whole mass, when wrought;
can scarcely he estimated. This
representation is derived from gen-
tlemen of Concord not at all in-
terested in the quarry, and is here
given, with the sole qualification,
that if the quality of the stone is as
pure as i
3 stated, there is no danger
of over-estimating the value of the
quarry. A specimen of this granite
is with the editor for examination.
Concord, originally called
was granted by Massachu-
setts to a company of settlers, 17th
Jan., 1725, and the settlement began
the year following. In 1733, the
plantation was incorporated by the


name of Rwnford, which name
it retained until 7th June, 1765,
when the town was incorporated
by its present name. This town
suffered much from incursions
the savages. Several of the inhab-
itants were killed, and others taken
into captivity, between the years
1740 and 1750. The manufactures
of Concord are numerous and val-
uable. They consist of books, fur-
! niture of all kinds, boots, shoes,

; granite, lumber, and a variety ol
; other articles. The manufacture
of books is very extensive, and an-
nually increasing.

Population in 1775,1,052; in 1790,
1,747; in 1800, 2,052 ; in 1810,
2,393; in 1S20, 2,888; and in 1830,
3,727. The present population is
between 4 and 5 thousand.

Among the early inhabitants and
distinguished citizens of this town,
may be mentioned the following :

Hon. Timothy Walker, son
the first minister of Concord, an
active patriot during the revolution,
member of the convention of 1784,
a legislator, and judge of the com-
mon pleas. He died May 5, 1822,
aged 85.

Dr. Philip Carrigain, an
eminent physician,
who died in


Hon. Thomas W. Thompson,
a distinguished lawyer and politi-
cian, who died
1 Oct., 1S21, aged

Sir Benjamin Thompson
(known to the world as Count
settled and married
here in early life.

John Farmer, Esq., an emin-
ent antiquary and genealogist, re-
sided here for the last seventeen
years of his life, and died 13 Aug.,
1838, aged 49. Mr. Farmer’s health
was always exceedingly delicate:
he therefore, partly of necessity and
partly of choice, adopted a very
sedentary mode of life. He col-
lected around him hooks of ancient
date—gathered together early rec-
ords of towns—notices of the first


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.