Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 122
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


and mountainous, but productive
of extraordinary feed for cattle.
Some of the best dairies in the
country are in Danby. Large quan-
tities of butter and cheese, of supe-
rior quality, are annually sent to
market. There are some curious
caverns in this town,—one of great

Danvers, Mass.

Essex co. T]iis flourishing town
lies 2 miles N. W. from Salem, to
which it was attached until 1757,
and called “Salem Village.” It is
very pleasant, and has some mill and
navigable privileges. The manu-
factures, for the year ending April
1, 1837, amounted to $S54,300.
JThe articles manufactured were
boots and shoes ($435,900,) leather,
($264,400,) nails, bricks, pottery
ware, glue, lasts, morocco, choco-
late, shoe pegs, shoe and soap boxes,
soap and candles. Population, 1830,
4,228 ; 1837, 4,SOL

Danville, Me.

Cumberland co. This town, for-
merly called
Pejepsco, was set off
from the westerly part of North
Yarmouth, in 1802. Population,
1837, 1,282. It lies 32 miles S. W.
from Augusta, and 29 N. from Port-
land. Farming is the principal
business of the inhabitants ;—they
raised, in 1337, 1,218 bushels of

Danville, X. H.

Rockingham co. It was incorpo-
rated February 22, 1760 ; formerly'
a part of Kingston, and until re-
cently known by the name of
Hawke. The soil is uneven, but in
some parts good. Acchusnut river
passes over the north west corner.
Long pond lies in the east part, and ;
Cub pond on the west side. The
first settlements were made by Jon-
athan Sanborn, Jacob Hook, and
others, between 1735 and 1739.
Danville lies 33 miles S. E. of Con-
cord, and 10 S. W. of Exeter. Pop-
ulation,. 1830, 528.

Danville, Vt.

Chief town of Caledonia county.
Danville village is very pleasantly
situated near the centre of the town,
and is surrounded by a beautiful
farming country: first settled, 1784.
Charles Hacket brought the first
woman into town, in 1785. Popu-
lation, 1830, 2,631. It lies 2S miles
N. E. from Montpelier. Here is a
medicinal spring; and Jo’s pond,
covering 1,000 acres, lies mostly
in the town. Several tributaries of
the Passumpsic give the town a good
water power. This is a place of
considerable manufactures and do-
mestic trade.

Darien, Ct.

Fairfield co. Until 1820, Darien
was a parish in the town of Stam-
ford. The soil is excellent, and well
adapted to tillage and grazing. It
lies 5 miles W. from Norwalk, and
42 S. W. from New Haven. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 1,201.

During divine service, on Sun-
day, 22d of July, 1781, a party of
British troops surrounded the meet-
ing house at this place, and made
the whole congregation prisoners.
The males were tied, two and two,
and the Rev. Moses Mather, D. D.,
a man distinguished for his learning
and piety, placed at their head.
They were marched to the shore,
taken to Long Island, and after-
wards to New York, where they
suffered a cruel imprisonment.—
Some of them never returned.

Dartmouth, Mass.

Bristol co. The •dponiganset of
the Indians. A sea-port on Buz-
zard’s bay, on the W. side of Ac-
cushnet liver, 56 miles S. from Bos-
ton, and 3 W. from New Bedford.
Incorporated, 1664. Population,
1837, 3,958. There are 5 vessels
belonging to this place engaged in


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.