Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 164
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


some fine land on Connecticut riv-
er. The face ot the uplands is rough
but generally productive. About
a mile and a half from Connecticut
river, and 8 miles from Chatham
freestone quarry, in a romantic spot
between the hills,is a beautiful vil-
lage connected with the Hartford
Manufacturing Company. Roar-
ing brook, at this place, passes
through a very narrow defile,afford-
ing a great and constant waterpow-
er. Cotton is manufactured here
to a considerable extent, and the
village is very flourishing. From
the hills around this village a great
variety of delightful scenery is ob-
servable. Population, 1S30, 2,980.

“ In the eastern part of the town
there is a pond of about a mile in
circumference, called ‘ Diamond
pond,’ from the circumstance of
there being small pebbles or stones
around its margin, having a pe-
culiar brilliancy. Near the cen-
tre of the town there is a mineral
spring, which,though it has acquir-
ed no celebrity abroad, has been
thought by men of science who
have examined it, to possess valua-
ble medicinal qualities; and for
more than one hundred years has
been known by the name of the
* Pool of Neipseic,’ ”

Gloucester, Mass.

Essex co. This is a maritime
township, comprising the whole of
Cape Ann, and celebrated for the
enterprise of its people in the fish-
eries and commercial pursuits. It
is one of the oldest fishing estab-
lishments in the state. This cape
extends about 8 miles into the sea,
and forms the northern boundary of
Massachusetts bay. Its harbor is
capacious, easy of access at any
season, and of sufficient water for
ships of great burthen. Gloucester
harbor and the chief settlements
are on the south side. Sandy and
Squam bays lie on the north side,
about 4 miles from the south har-
bor, and afford harbors for small
vessels. The lights on Thatcher’s
island bear about northeast 6 miles
from East Point, the eastern boun-
dary of Gloucester harbor. As
early as 1794 the exports from this
place, in one year, amounted to
$230,000. Here are imifiense quar-
ries of light and grayish granite,
which is split with great ease, and
in large regularly formed blocks.
This stone is of a fine grain, is easi-
ly dressed, and can be put on hoard
of vessels with little expense. The
demand for this stone is rapidly in-
creasing, and the quarrying, ham-
mering, and transporting it gives
employment to many men and ves- *
sels. The canal across the neck
of the cape has failed of that suc-
cess which was anticipated. The
manufacture of palm-leaf hats,
hoots, shoes, hats, vessels, chairs,
tin and cabinet wares, in the year
ending April 1, 1837, amounted to
$46,726. In that year there were
221 vessels employed in the cod
and mackerel fishery, the tonnage
of which was 9,824 tons. They
took 55,181 quintals of cod fish, and
43,934 barrels of mackerel: 113,-
760 bushels of salt was used, and
1,580 hands employed. The value
of the cod and mackerel taken was
$522,082. There are belonging to
this place a great number of vessels
engaged in foreign and domestic
trade. The total tonnage of the
district in 1837 was 18,802 tons.
This town lies in N. lat. 42° 36',
W. Ion. 70° 40', and was incorpora-
ted in 1639. Population, 1820,
6,384; 1830, 7,513; 1837, 8,822.
It lies 29 miles N. E. from Boston,
and 16 N. E. by E. from Salem.
Gloucester is a very pleasant town,
and a delightful retreat in summer

Gloucester, R. I. -

Providence co. This large and
respectable manufacturing town
lies 16 miles W. S. W. from Provi-
dence, and 50 E. by N. from Hart-
ford. First settled, 1700. Incorpo-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.