corporated as a separate town in
June, 1822. On the E. side of the
river is an extensive cotton factory,
owned by the Amoskeag Company.
Hoosack River and Mountain.
Two branches of the Hoosack,
Hosick, or Hoosick river, rise in
New England : one in the high
lands in the county of Berkshire,
Mass.; the other in the mountain-
ous tracts of Bennington county,
Vt. These branches unite near
Hoosack Falls, in the state of New
York, about 3 miles W. of the cel-
ebrated Bennington battle ground.
Hoosack river meets the Hudson
at Schagthicoke, 15 miles N. of
Troy, N. Y. This stream, in many
places, is exceedingly rapid in its
course, and affords a great number
of mill sites.
Hoosack mountain lies princi-
pally in Clarksburgh and Berkshire,
Mass., and is the source of a branch
of Hoosack river. Its elevation is
from 1,500 to 2,000 feet from its
Waldo co. Hope is a township
of choice land, having Camden and
Megunticook lake on its south-east-
ern border. It lies 44 miles E. S.
E. from Augusta, and 16 S. by W.
from Belfast. Hope produced in
1837, 3,142 bushels of wheat. Pop-
ulation, same year, 1,733. Incor-
Hopkinton, N. H.
Merrimack co. It is 2S miles N.
from Amherst, 7 W. from Concord,
46 N. E. from Keene, 30 S. E. from
Newport, 50 W. from Portsmouth,
and 65 N. N. W. from Boston. Con-
toocook river flows from Henniker
into the south-westerly part of this
town, and meanders in a N. E. di-
rection. In its course it receives
Warner and Blackwater rivers, and
several large brooks, and empties
into Merrimack river at Concord.
On these streams are some valuable
tracts of intervale and meadow lands.
The principal village in Hopkinton
is 7 miles from the state-house in
Concord. In this town the county
jail is located. In the W. part of
the town is a thriving village on
the Contoocook river, known as
HilVs Bridge, or Contoocookville,
where is a valuable water power,
and several mills. Hopkinton was
granted Jan. 16,1735, to John Jones
and others, and was called .Number
5, and afterwards New-Hopkinton.
The first settlement was made about
1740, by emigrants from Hopkinton,
Mass. This town suffered from In-
dian depredations. Population in
Middlesex county. Branches of
Charles and Mill rivers rise in this
town, on which are manufacturing
establishments. There are 3 cot-
ton mills in Hopkinton, and manu-
factures of boots and shoes, ($152,-
300,) leather, ploughs, and straw
bonnets : total value, the year end-
ing April 1, 1837, $217,550. The
town was incorporated in 1715.
Population, 1830, 1,809 ; 1837,
The mineral spring in this town
has become celebrated. It con-
tains carbonic acid, and carbonate
of lime and iron. It is situated near
White Hall pond, which abounds
in fine fish of various kinds. The
Boston and Worcester rail road
passes within 3 1-2 miles of it, at
Westborough, and it is 7 miles from
the Blackstone canal, at North-
bridge. It is 30 miles W. S. W.
from Boston, 14 E. by S. from Wor-
cester, and SO N. by W. from Pro-
vidence, R. I. There is a large and
convenient hotel at this place, at
which visitors for health or plea-
sure are kindly entertained. A trip
to Hopkinton springs is both plea-
sant and fashionable.