extends N. by W. from Cohasset, 5
miles, and is celebrated for its beau-
tiful beach, 4 miles in length, and
for its shell fish and sea fowl. The
town lies between two hills of fine
land, near point Alderton, opposite
Boston light-house. It lies 9 miles
E. S. E. from Boston, by water, and
22 by land, via Hingham. On one
of the hills in this place, is a well
90 feetiadepth, which is frequently
almost full of water. Capital in-
vested in the manufacture of salt,
Hull is remarkable, for the una-
nimity which always prevails among
its inhabitants in their deliberative
assemblies, and for a spirit of com-
promise manifest on all occasions in
their selection of public servants.
Chittenden co. First settled,
17S6. Population, in 1830, 929.—
Huntington lies 20 miles W. from
Montpelier, and 15 S. E. from Burl-
ington. Huntington river passes
through this town; it is a branch
of Onion river, is rapid in its course,
affording several towns an abund-
ant water power. The soil of Hun-
tington is poor: its surface is gen-
erally too hilly for cultivation.—
Camel’s Back mountain lies in the
eastern part of the town.
Fairfield co. Tliis is a township
of uneven surface, but well adapt-
ed to agricultural purposes, to which
the inhabitants are principally de-
voted. Huntington was incorpora-
ted in 1789. It lies 4 miles W.
from Derby Landing, 12 N. E. from
Fairfield, and 12 W. from New
Haven. Population, 1830, 1,371.
Hyannis Harbor, Mass.
Hyde Park, Vt.
Lamoille co. County town. The
Lamoille, Green, and other rivers
give this town a great water power,
some of which is advantageously
improved. The soil is generally*!
a good quality and easily cultiva*
ted. It lies 24 miles N. from Mont*
pelier, and 32 N. E. from Burling*
ton. Population, 1830, 823. First
Indian river, Me., Washington
county, is a small stream in the town
Indian stream, N.H., Coos coun-
ty, is the principal and most north-
erly source of Connecticut river,
rising in the highlands near the N.
limit of the state, and pursuing al-
most a direct S. W. course to its
junction with the E. branch flow-
ing from lake Connecticut.
Indian river, Vt., rises in Ru-
pert, and falls into the Pawlet. An-
other stream of this name, in Vt.,
rises in Essex, and falls into Col-
Indian Stream Territory.
Is a tract in New Hampshire N
of lat. 45°, extending to the British
possessions in L. Canada. It was
surveyed in 1805,and contains 160,-
363 acres. Lake Connecticut and
several considerable ponds are sit-
uated within this tract.
Franklin co. This town borders
N. W. on Sandy river, and is a
valuable tract of land. It lies 32
miles N. W. from Augusta, and is
bounded S. W. by Farmington.
Industry was incorporated in 1803:
it has a pleasant village, and raised,
in 1837, 6,078 bushels of wheat,
with a population of 1,014.
Essex co. This is one of the
shire towns of the county, and a
port of entry, on a river of the
same name, sometimes called Aga-
wam, the Indian name of the place.
Ipswich village is very pleasant,
and the country around it is well