Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 215
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


eral substances are found here.
Lancaster was first settled, 1643.
Incorporated, 1653. Population,
1837, 1,903. It lies 35 miles W.
N. W. from Boston, and 15 N. N.
E. from Worcester.-

LandaiF, IV. II.

Grafton co. Its distance from
Haverhill is about 12 miles N. E.,
and from Concord"90 N. by W;
Wild Amonoosuck river runs from
S. E. to N. W. through the S. part
of the town. Through the north-
westerly extremity passes the Great
Amonoosuck river. Landjtff moun-
tain in the E. part, Cobble hill in
the centre, and Bald hill in the W.,
are the principal elevations. The
soil is fertile. J^amlaff was granted
in 1764, to James Avery and others.
Population, in 1830, 951.

Landgrove, Vt.

Bennington co. This town is on,
elevated land at the N. E. corner
of the county, 33 miles N. E. fi^oin
Bennington, and about 30 S. W.
from Windsor. Some of the head
branches of West river have their
sources here. The lands are too
rough and high for much improve-
ment. First settled, 1769. Popu- ,
iation, 1830, 385.

Lanesborough, Mass.

Berkshire co. This township lies
on elevated ground, the sources of
some of the head branches of Hous-
atonick and Hoosack rivers. It is
situated on two hills, with an inter-
vening valley. The lands in the
valley arc v$ry luxuriant, and the
hilly parts are admirably adapted
for grazing. Lanesborough is a
beautiful town,under good cultiva-
tion, and very productive. The in-
habitants are principally farmers,
who make agriculture a
and reap,its rewards. In 1837 there
were in this town 12,333 sheep,
whose fleeces weighed 42,489 lbs.,
estimated at $26,100. Limestone
abounds here j also beautiful mar-
ble, and graphic slate. There is a
delightful pond partly in this town
and partly in Pittsfield: it con-
tains trout and other fine fish.—
Lanesborough was .incorporated,

1765. Population, 1‘837,1,090. It
lies 125 miles W. by N. from Bos-
ton, and 11 N. from Lenox.

Langdon, N. H.

Sullivanco. Langdonis 18 miles

S. S. W. from Newport, and 50 W.
by S. from Concord. The princi-
pal village it 3miles E. from Con-
necticut river, and 6 from Bellows
Falls. A considerable branch of
Cold river passes S. W. through the
whole extent of this town, and unites
with the main branch near the S.
line. Langdon, named in honor
of Gov. Langdon, was incorporated
1787. Its settlement commenced in

1773. Population, 1830,^667.

Lebanon, Me.

York co. This town is bounded
W. by Salmon Fall river, on the
line of New Hampshire. It is a
large agricultural township, with
some trade and manufactures. It
lies 99 miles S. W. from Augusta,
50 S. W. by W. from Portland, and
11 S. W. from Alfred. Incorpora-
tedj 1767. Population, in 1837,

Lebanon, N. H.

Grafton co. This pleasant town
on Connecticut river, is 4 miles S.
from Dartmouth College, 49 N. W.
from ConCord, and 90 N. W. from
Portsmouth. Besides the Connec-
ticut on its W. border, this town is
watered by Mascomy river, running
from E. to W. through its centre,
and affording many valuable mill
seats and a constant supply of wa-
ter. The soil here is alluvial, the
intervales on the' Connecticut ex-
tending back .from the river about
half a mile. There are meadows or
intervales on Mascomy river. The
principal village is situated on a
plain near the central part, at the


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.