Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 243
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Malden, Mass,

Middlesex co. A bridge over
Mystic river, 2,420 feet in length,
connects this town with Charles-
town. It lies 5 miles N. from Bos-
ton, and 16 E. by S. from Concord.
First settled:, 1648. Incorporated,
1649. Population, 1830, 2,010;
1837, 2,303. It contains a large
tract of salt meadow, and consider-
able timber. The uplands are
rough and uneven. The manufac-
tures of Malden consist of leather,
boots, shoes, block tin, tin ware,
twine, lasts, and manufactures of
iron and dye-wood : total amount,
the year ending April 1,. 1837,

Manchester, N. II.,

Hillsborough co., lies on the east
side of Merrimack river, by which
it is bounded on the W. for 8 miles;
on the N. and E, it is bounded by
Chester, S. by Londorfderry and
Litchfield. 'J'here are several
streams which have thejr origin in
this town, and which discharge
themselves into the Merrimack.—
Cohass brook, issuing from Massa-
besick pond, is the largest. It re-
ceives two other small streams from,
the S., and empties itself at the S.
W. angle of the town. Massabe-
sickis a large pond, at the E. side
of the town, and partly within its
limits. There are several smaller

The soil of a considerable part of
the town is light and sandy. The
intervales on the river are easy of
cultivation, and productive.

The canal by Amoskeag falls is
in this town, and was projected and
constructed by the ingenuity and
perseverance of the late Samuel
Blodget, Esq. At these falls are the
works of the Amoskeag Manufac-
turing Company, where the founda-
tions of another Lowell are being
laid. The water power is im-

This town was formed of a part
of Londonderry, a part of Chester,
and a tract of land called Harry-
town, and incorporated Sept. 3,
1751, by the name of
This name it retained until 1810,
when it was changed to Manches-
ter, by an act of the legislature.

The 'venerable general John
had his residence in this
town, where he died May 8, 1822,
at the great age of 93 years 8 months
and 24 days. He was born at
Londonderry, August 28, 1728;
was taken prisoner by the Indians,
while hunting near Baker’s river,
in Rumney, April 28, 1752. In
1775, he was appointed a colonel of
qne of the three regiments raised
in New Hampshire; was engaged
on the heights of Charlestown, June
17,1775; was at the battle of Tren-
ton, in 1776; captured Col. Baum
and 1,000 of the British at Benning-
ton, August 16,1777. This event,
in the language of president Jeffer-
son, was “ the first link in the chain
of successes which issued in the
surrender of Saratoga.” He was
soon after appointed a brigadier-
general of the United States army,
and, at the time of his death, was
the only surviving American gen-
eral officer of the revolution. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 887.

Manchester, Vt.

Bennington co. One of the
county towns. Situated between
the Green mountains on the E.,and
Equinox mountain on the W. The
latter is 3,706 feet above the sea.
There are two neat villages in this
valley; the county buildings are
in the south village. The scene-
ry here is very beautiful. The
town is watered by the Battenkill
and its branches, and affords good
mill sites. The soil along the wa-
ter courses is good, but the princi-
pal part of the town is better for
grazing than tillage. Here are
large quarries of beautiful marble,
some manufactures, a.curious cav-
ern, and about 6,000 sheep. Man-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.