along the road from Windsor to
Vergennes, and presents some de-
New Haven co. The surface of
this town is hilly and rocky; the
soil a coarse, gravelly loam, fit for
grazing and the growth of rye. It
lies 36 miles W. S. W. from Hart-
ford, and 22 N."W. from New Ha-
ven. Incorporated, 1807. Popu-
latiom^f830, 816. The town is
watered by Quasepaug pond, which
empties into the Housatonick, and
furnishes a waterpower for a satin-
et factory, and other machinery.
Hampshire co. This is an eleva-
ted agricultural township, watered
by a branch of Westfield river. It
lies 110 miles W. from Boston, 24
W. from Northampton, and 17 S. E.
from Pittsfield. Incorporated, 1783.
Population, 1S37, 710. There are
2 woolen mills in the town, and 2
tanneries. Annual value of goods
manufactured, about $75,000.—
Among the productions of the soil,
there were, in 1837, 9,724 fleeces
of saxony wool, which weighed
26,741 pounds, value, $17,382.
Washington co. Onion river and
other streams give this town a good
water power. It has numerous
manufacturing concerns, and a very
pleasant village. The soil along
the streams is good, and that of the
uplands, generally, is adapted for
grazing. It lies 30 miles E. S. E.
from Burlington, and is bounded by
Montpelier on the S. E. First set-
tled, in 1781. Population, 1830,
There is a curious chasm in Mid-
dlesex, on Onion river, near More-
town. The river has worn a pas-
sage through rocks 30 feet in depth,
60 feet in width, and about 80 rods
in length. The walls on each side
are very smooth,over which a bridge
is thrown. This place is worthy of
Middlesex County, Mass.
Concord, Cambridge, and Low-
ell, are the shire towns. The sur-
face of this county is uneven and
the soil various; It presents a great
variety for the admiration of the
patriot, scholar, farmer, mechanic,
and the painter. It is bounded N.
by New Hampshire; N. E. by the
county of Essex ; S. E. by Charles
river, Boston harbor, and Norfolk
county; and W. by the county of
Worcester. Area, 800 square miles:
population, in 1820, 61,476; 1830,
77,968; 1837,98,565.. Population
to a square mile, 123. The princi-
pal rivers in this county, are the
Merrimack, Charles, Mystic, Sud-
bury, Concord, and Nashua. The
.Middlesex Canal passes through
its northeastern section. In 1837
there were 5,166sheep in the coun-
ty. The value of manufactures for
the year ending April 1, 1837,
amounted to $15,008,028. Fishery,
same year, $33,000.
Middlesex County, Ct.
Shire towns—Middletown and
Haddam.' This county is bounded
N. by Hartford county, E. by Harf-
ford and New London counties, S.
by Long Island Sound, and W. by
New Haven county. The general
surface of the county is uneven.
The soil is generally good, particu-
larly adjacent to Connecticut river.
There are many small streams
which afford mill privileges, fertil-
izing the soil and giving beauty to
the county. The waters of the
Connecticut afford it an important
business in navigation, especially
in the coasting trade. The tonnage
of the district of Middletown, in
1837, was 13,133 tons. There are
numerous manufacturing establish-
ments in the county; large quanti-
ties of freestone are quarried and car'—-
ried to market, and the shad fishery