Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 269
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


much so as any in New England.
The canal for passing these falls, 3
mile? in length and 75 feet lockage,
with an immense dam across, the
river, greatly facilitates the naviga-
tion on Connecticut river. This
place has a great water power, and*
promises peculiar advantages to the
manufacturing interest. The scene-
ry around this place is romantic and
beautiful, and to the lovers of anti-
quarian lore, full of interesting as-

It lies 80 miles W. by N. from
Boston, and 7 S. E. from Greenfield.
Incorporated, 1753. Population, in
1837, 1,260.

Montgomery', Vt.

Franklin co. This town lies in a
mountainous country, but it has a
valuable tract of land on Trout riv-
er, a good mill stream, a branch of
the Missisque. It lies 42 miles N.
from Montpelier, and 27 E. N.E.-
from St. Albans. First settled, in

1793. Population, 1830, 460.

The Rev. Joel Clapp was the first
child born in this town, September
14, 1793. He preached the first
fast-day sermon, the first thanks-
giving sermon, and the first moth-
er’s funeral sermon, which were
preached in the town.

Montgomery, Mass.

Hampden co. This is a moun-
tainous township on the N. side, of
Westfield river, and has a good wa-
ter power, it lies 100 miles W. by
S. from Boston, and 12 N. W. from
Springfield. Incorporated, 1780.
Population, 1837, 497. This is a
good town for grazing, and it pro-
duces considerable wool and some
beef cattle.

Montpelier, Vt.

The capital of the state and shire
town of the county of Washington.
It lies in N. lat. 44° 17', and W.
Ion. 72° 36'. It is 182 miles W.
from Augusta, Me.; 97 N. N. W.
from Concord, N. H.; 160 N. W.

by N. from Boston, Mass.; 200 N.
by W. from Providence, R. L;
205 N. from-Hartford, Ct.; 148 N.
E. from Albany N. Y.; and 524
miles from Washington. First set-
tled, in 1786. Population, 1830,
2,985. Montpelier became the seat
of government in 1805, and the
shire town of the county, in 1811.
It is finely watered by Onion river
and by several branches of that
stream. These streams afford a
good water power, on which are
manufacturing establishments of va-
rious kinds. The surface of the
town is very uneven and hilly, but
not mountainous. The soil is very
good along the streams, and the
highlands produce excellent pas-
turage. The agricultural products
are various and valuable. In 1837
there were between 8,000 and 9,000
sheep in the town.

This township was granted Octo-
ber 21, 1780, and chartered to Tim-
othy Bigelow and others, August
14, 1781, containing 23,040 acres.
It was rechartered February 6,
i804. In the spring of 1786, Joel
Frizzle erected a log house on the
bank of Onion river, in the south-
west corner of this township, and
moved bis family into it from Cana-
da. This was the first family in
town. Early in the month of May,
1787, Col. Jacob and Gen. Parley
Davis, from Worcester county,Mass.
began improvements near the place
where the village now stands, and
erected a log house, into which
Col. Davis removed his family the
winter following.

The village of Montpelier is sur-
rounded by hills of considerable el-
evation ; and although it is too low
to command an extensive prospect,
is very pleasant, and quite roman-
tic in its appearance. It is located
very near the centre of the state :
it is a great thoroughfare from all
directions, and commands a large
and valuable interior trade. The
buildings are in good style; some
of which are very handsome.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.