Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 282
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


at its mouth is Commercial Point, in
Dorchester, a beautiful place, with
an excellent harbor.

Kewaggen, Cape, He.

This cape is apart of the town of
Boolhbay. It extends about 5 miles
into the sea, and forms the eastern
boundary of Sheepscot’s bay.

Newark., Vt.

Caledonia -co. The Passumpsic
river is formed in this town by a
collection of streams issuing prin-
cipally from ponds. The town is
not mountainous, but thc.soil is cold
and generally unproductive. It
lies 44 miles N. E. from Montpe-
lier, and 19 N. W. from GuiidhaM.
First settled, 1800. Population, in
1830, 257.

New Ash.Ibrd, Mass.

Berkshire co. This is a moun-
tainous township, but the soil is
good for grazing. In IS37, the val-
ue of 2,708 fleeces of wool, pro-
duced in this town, weighing 7,785
pounds, was worth $3,893. New
Ashford produces fine white and
variegated marble, and is the source
of Green river. It lies 130 miles
W. by N. from Boston, and 18 N.
from Lenox. Incorporated, 1S01.
Population, IS37, 253.

New Bedford, Mass.

This is ahalf shire town of Bristol
county, and port of entry, pleas-
antly situated on the W. side of the
Aciishnet, a river, or more proper-
ly an estuary, connected with Buz-
zard’s bay. The ground on which
the town stands rises rapidly from
the river, and affords an interesting
view from the opposite side.

The upper part of the town is
laid out into beautiful streets, which
contain many costly and superb

This harbor, though not easy of
access, is capacious and well secur-
ed from winds. A wooden bridge,
near the centre of the town, con-
nects it with the village of Fair-
haven. A ferry has also been es-
tablished, on which it is proposed to
run a steam boat.

New Bedford was incorporated
in 1787, previous to which it con-
stituted a part of the town of Dart-
mouth. In 1812, the eastern part
was set off as a separate township
by tbc name of Fairhaven.

The almost exclusive business cf
the. place is the whale fishery,
which commenced before the war
of tbe revolution, and has gradual-
ly grown to its present importance.
The increase, however, within the
last 12 years has been more rapid
than during any former period.—
The number of ships and brigs now
employed is 189. Tonnage of the
district, in 1337, 85,130 tons.

There arc 16 oil manufactories, at
which a large amount of oil and can-
dles i' made. A considerable quan-
tity of the oil imported is, however,
sold in the crude state to other pla-

The manufactures of the town,
consist of leather, bootsj shoes, hats,
iron castings, axes, chairs, tin and
cabinet wares, vessels, salt, cord-
age, soap, Prussian blue, paper
hangings, carriages, looking-glass
frames, and carpenter’s tools: the
total value, for the year ending
April 1,1S37, including oil and can-
dles, amounted to $690,S00. There
were imported, during that year,
2,472,735 gallons of oil, and 305,170
pounds of whale bone, tbe value
of which was $1,750,832. The
capital invested in the whale fish-
ery was $4,210,000. The num-
ber of hands employed was 4,000.

Few places in Massachusetts have
increased in population more rapidly
than this. By the census of 1790,
the ^population of the village was
about 700. In 1830, the township
contained 7,592 ; in 1833, 9,200,
and in 1837, 14,304.

Within a few years,the inhabitants
of this town have manifested a com-
mendable liberality in providing the


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.