Hariman’s and Hill’s brooks. These
brooks have, their sources in ponds
of considerable size. Newbury
comprises the tract commonly call-
ed the-Great Oxbow, on a bend in
Connecticut river. This tract is of
great extent, and celebrated for its
luxuriance and beauty. The agri-
cultural productions of the town are
very valuable, consisting of beef
cattle, wool, and all the varieties of
the dairy. The town contains a
number of mineral springs, of some
celebrity in scrofulous and cutane-
The villages of JVewbury and
JVells River are very pleasant :
they command a flourishing trade,
and contain manufacturing estab-
lishments of various kinds. Some
of the buildings are very handsome.
The scenery of the windings of the
river through this fine tract of al-
luvial meadow, contrasted with the
abrupt acclivities in the north part
of the town, is very striking and
The town is connected with Ha-
verhill, N. H., by two bridges. It
lies 27 miles S. E. from Montpelier,
and 20 N. E. from Chelsea. Popu-
lation, 1830, 2,252. First settled,
1764. The first settlers endured
many hardships. For some years
they had to go to Charlestown to
mill, 60 miles distant, carrying their
grain in canoes down the river, or
drawing it on the ice.
General Bailey, a patriot of the
revolution, distinguished himself in
the settlement of the town.
The state legislature held their
sessions in Newbury, in the years
1787, and 1801.
Essex co. This ancient and re-
spectable town, lies on Merrimack
river, opposite to Salisbury. It for-
merly comprised the territory of
Newburyport and West Newbury.
The soil is of an excellent quality;
and in a high state of cultivation.
Parker and Artichoke rivers are
pleasant streams; the former falls
nearly-50 feet in the town, and af-
fords it good mill seats. A part of
Plum island, is attached to thi3 town.
This island, ahout ninu miles in
length and one in breadth, extend-
ing from Ipswich river to the mouth
of the Merrimack, is comprised of
sandy beach and salt .meadow ; and
is noted for the beach plum, which
ripens in September.
A curious cavern, called the
“ Devil’s Den,” contains specimens
of asbestos, limestone, marble, ser-
pentine and amianthos. The scene-
ry on the high grounds is rich, va-
riegated and beautiful.
Dummer academy, founded in
1756, is a flourishing institution : it
is situated in the parish of “ Bv-
The manufactures of Newbury
consist of cotton goods, leather,
hoots, shoes, carriages, cordage,
fishing nets, bed cords and cotton
lines: annual value about $75,000.
A large number of vessels are built
in the town, and some navigation
is owned and employed in the coast-
ing trade and fishery.
This town is celebrated as the
birth place of many distinguished
men. Theophilus Parsons,
LL. D., an eminent jurist, was born
in Newbury, February 24, 1750.
He died in Boston, October 6,1813.
Newbury was first settled, in
1635. Its Indian name was Quaf-
cacunquen. It lies 31 miles N. by
E. from Boston, 17 N. from Salem,
and 8 S. from Newburyport. Pop
ulation, 1837, 3,771.
One of the shire towns of Essex
county. Thisis considered one of the
most beautiful towns in New Eng-
land. It lies on a gentle acclivity,
on the south bank of the Merri-
mack, at the union of that river
with the ocean. In point of terri-
tory, it is the smallest town in the
commonwealth, being only one mile
square. It was taken from New-