Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 331
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


and 47 E. from Albany, N. Y. It
is the highest land between the
Connecticut and Hudson rivers.

Peterborough, N. II.

Hillsborough co. This town lies
midway between Amherst and
Keene, being 20 miles from each.
It is 75 miles W. S. W. from Ports-
mouth, "60 N. W. from Boston, and
40 S. W. from Concord. Peterbo-
rough lies in a N. E. direction from
tbe Grand Mo'nadnock,and is bound-
ed on the E. by a chain of hills
Pack Monadnock. Contoo-
cook river runs in a N. E. and N.
direction through the centre of the
town, affording several good privi-
leges for mills and factories. The
N. branch, from Dublin, originating
partly from waters near the Monad-
nock, and partly from Long, or
Hunt’s pond, lying in Nelson and
Hancock, affords a never-failing
supply of water, and furnishes those
noble falls, on which are situated
several factories. There are ex-
tensive and valuable meadows pn
this branch, above these falls j-nnd
the soil generally throughout tbe
town is excellent. In the centre
of tbe town is a high hill, formerly
the site of a meeting house, at an
elevation of 200 feet above the riv-
er. The chain of hills on the E. is
distinguished by two principal sum-
mits. Between these summits is a
depression of a quarter part of the
mountain’s height. About 60 rods'
W. of the ridge, or summit of this
depression, on an
embenchnient of
the mountain, is. a pond of about
9 acres extent, very deep and re-
plenished with fish, at an elevation
of 200 feet above the site of meet-
ing house hill. There are rocks
in several places which afford indi-
cations of sulphur,, and crumble on
exposure to the sun and air. Iron
ore of an excellent quality has been
discovered, but as yet in small
quantities. Peterborough wasgrant-
ed in 1738, by the government of
Massachusetts to Samuel Heywood
and others. The first settlement
took place in 1739. In 1759 there
were 45 families, and on the 17th
Jan., the next year, the town was
incorporated. The first settlers of
Peterborough were Scotch Presby-
terians, from Ireland, or their im-
mediate descendants. ‘ Wholly un-
used to clearing and cultivating of
wild lands, they endured great hard-
ships. Their nearest gristmill was
at Townsend, 25 miles distant—
their road, a line of marked trees.
The. first male child born here, was
John Richie ; he was bom Feb 22,
1751, and died in the service of his
country at Cambridge, in 1776.—
Population, 1830,1,934.

Petersliam, Mass.

Worcester co. Petersham is a
very pleasant town, elevated on a
swell of fertile land, and pre-
senting a fine prospect of many
of the neighboring towns. It was
first settled about the year 1732, and
was called by the Indians
. Swift river waters a part
of fhe town, and -affords a water
power. There is a woolen mill in
the town; and manufactures of
palm-leaf hats, leather, bo& fs, shoes,
chairs, and cabinet ware : total an-
nual value,.about ^60,000. It lies
62 miles W. by N. from Boston, and
27 N. W. from Worcester. Popula-
tion^ 1837, 1,731. Incorporated,

Phillips, Me.

Franklin co. This town is wa-
tered by Sandy river. It lies 53
miles N. W. from Augusta, and 15
N. W. from Farmington. Incorpo-
rated, 1812. Pop. 1830, 954; 1837,
1,283. Wheat crop, in 1837, 6,238

Fhillipston, Mass.

Worcester co. There is a large
pond in this town, the source of
Burnshint river. This pleasant town
was-taken from Athol and Temple-
ton, in 1786.— It was called Gerry
until 1812. The manufactures of


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.