Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 385
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


16th of May, 1753, Nathaniel Me-
loon, living in the W. part of the
town, was captured, together with
his wife, and three children, viz :
Sarah, Rachel, and Daniel. They
were carried to Canada, where he
and his wife were sold to the .French
in Montreal. The three children
were kept by the Indians.
After the parents had resided
in Montreal about a year and a
half, they bad a son born, who was
baptized by a French friar by the
name of Joseph Mary. Mr. Me-
loon returned from captivity after
four years and a half, td his farm in
Salisbury. Sarah died with the In-
dians. Rachel, who was 9 years
old when captured, returned after
9 years. She had become much
attached to the Indians, was about
to be married to PeterLouis, son of .
Col. Louis, of Cognawaga. She
had the habits, and acted like an
Indian, understood the Indian lan-
guage and could sing their.songs.

Hon. Ebenezer Webster was
one of the early settlers; a patriot
of the revolution; an officer of the
militia; for several years a senator
in the legislature, and a judge of
the court of common pleas till his
death in 1806. He was the father
of the Hon.
-Ezekiel and Dan-
iel Webster,
names well known
throughout the country. Popula-
tion, in 1830, 1,379.

Salisbury, Vt.

Addison co. The widow of Amos
Story, with 8 or 10 small children,
was the first family that made Salis-
bury a permanent residence. She
came here in 1775, and endured
every hardship incident to the life
of a pioneer; chopping down tim-
ber, clearing the land, laboring in
the field, and sleeping in a cavern.
Air. Story, was killed by the falling
of a tree' previous to the removal
of his family. The proprietors gave
Mrs. Story 100 acres of land for
manly conduct. The soil of
the town is generally good; it con-
tains some rough land, and some
excellent meadows. It is watered
by Otter Creek, Middlebury -and
Leicester rivers. The latter river
affords a good wfcter power, which
propels-a number of valuable manu-
facturing establishments. Leices-
ter river is the outlet of
Lake Dun-
, a fine sheet of water, about
four miles in length, and three
fourths of a mile in width. This
lake lies in Leicester and Salisbu-
ry. There is a pleasant and flour-
ishing village in the town, and a
large cavern supposed to have been
an Indian lodging place. Salisbu-
ry lies 34 miles S'. W. from Mont-
pelier, and Is bounded N. by AXid-
dlebury. Population, 1830, 907.

Salisbury, Mass.

Essex co. In 1638, this town
was granted, by the name of Mer-
rimack, to be a plantation, unto Si-
mon Bradstreet, Daniel Dennison,
and others. The year following it
was incorporated by the name of
Colchester, and in 1640 assumed, by
direction of the then general court,
the name of Salisbury. It is seven
by three miles in extent, and is
bounded southerly by the river
Alerrimaek, westerly by Powow
river, which divides it from the
town of Amesbury, northerly by
the New Hampshire line, which
separates it from the towns of South
Hampton and Seabrook, and easter-
ly by the sea.

In 1643, the plantation in New
Hampshire, viz. Hampton, Exeter,
Portsmouth and Dover, were united
to Alassachusetts, and, together
with Salisbury and Haverhill, form-
ed into a new and distinct county,
called Norfolk, -of which Salisbury
was the shire town, and so contin-
ued to the year 1679, when New
Hampshire was again separated and
formed into a royal government. In
August, 1737, commissioners, ap-
pointed by the crown, met at Hamp-
ton falls, for the purpose of settling
a controversy, respecting theboun-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.