settled about 1780, and incorporated
in 1795. Population, 1830, 1,375.
Orange co, A branch of White
river passes through this town, on
which are mills of various kinds.
The soil is generally a rich loam;
on the stream the intervale land is
extensive and valuable. In some
parts of the town the surface is el-
Tunbridge contains a medicinal
spring of some notoriety- in cutane-
ous diseases. Considerable quan-
tities of the products of the farms
are sent to market. Many sheep
are reared ; in 1837, the number in
the town was 8,260.
Tunbridge, was first settled in
1776. It is 26 miles S. by E. from
Montpelier, 7 S. from Chelsea, and
SO N. by W. from Windsor. Popu-
lation, 1830, 1,920.
Oxford co. A tributary of-the
Androscoggin meets that river in
this town, and finely waters it. The
soil of Turner is good, and its sur-
face pleasant. There are a num-
ber of thriving villages in tbe
town: there is considerable trade,
and some manufactures; but the
business of the people is generally
Turner was incorporated in 1786.
It is 38 miles W. S. W. from Au-
gusta, and 14 E. from Paris. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 2,218; 1837, 2,435.
Wheat crop, in 1837, 7,081 bush.-
Turtle River, Me.,
Or the Meriumptieook, a branch ;
of St. John’s river, which empties
about 7 miles S. W. from the mouth
of the Madawaska.
Middlesex co. This is a pleas-
ant town on both sides of Merri-
mack river, 8 miles N. W. by W.
from Lowell, and 29 N. W. from
Boston. Incorporated, 1789. Pop-
ulation, 1S37, 870.
The river here is wide, placid,
and majestic, and adds much to the
beauty of the place. There is not
much* water power in the town, and
the soil is light and sandy. Large
quantities of granite are quarried
here, hammered and fitted for vari-
ous uses, and taken down the river.
Here are also manufactures of
brushes, barrels, boots and shoes.
Berkshire co. There are several
ponds in this town, from which is-
sues a branch of Housatonick river.
Tyringham lies 125 miles W.
from Boston, 14 S. E. from Lenox,
and 35 E. from Hudson, N. Y. In-
corporated, 17*62. Population, in
1837, 1,288. .
Xhe manufactures of the town
consist of paper, iron castings,
boots, shoes, leather, forks, rakes,
palm-leaf hats, chair stuff, and
wooden ware : annual value, about
The surface of the town is un-
even, and in some parts mountain-
ous. “Hop Brook Valley,” rs a
beautiful and romantic spot. There
is a society of “Shakers” in Ty-
ringham. See Canterbury, N. H*
Vs a large body of water, situa-
ted mostly in the state of Maine,
and extending about 300 rods' in
width along the east of the town-
ships of Errol and Cambridge, in
New Hampshire. This lake is very
imperfectly known; is said to be
about 18 miles long, and in some
parts 10 wide ; being but little in-
ferior to the Winnepisiogee, in ex-
tent and beauty. Its outlet is on
the west side, in Errol, its waters
flowing into the Androscoggin.
XJncouoonook Mountain, N. H*