Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 465
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Population, in 1837, 1,170. Wheat
crop, same year, 3,238 bushels.

Weare, N. II.

Hillsborough co. The only riv-
er in Weare, is the N. W. branch
of Piscataquog, which enters the
west boundary from Deering, and
meanders through the N. and E.
sections of the town, and passes
the S. line about half a mile from
the S. E. corner. This river affords
the best mill seats in the town.
There are three small ponds in this
town. Rattlesnake hill, nearly in
the centre of the N. line of the
town, abounds with shelving rocks,
abrupt precipices, forming dens and
caves. During the summer season,
the reptile from which the hill
takes its name, is frequently found.
The town, though rather broken, is
not mountainous. It has small
swamps, and some good meadows.
It is now settled and cultivated to
its extreme limits by industrious
and wealthy husbandmen. It was
incorporated in 1764, and receiv-
ed its name in honor of Meshech
Weare, chief justice of the prov-
ince of N. H.

Weare is 15 miles S. W. from
Concord, and 17 N. N. W. from
Amherst. Population, 1830, 2,430.

Weatberslield, Vt.

Windsor co. [Those who wish
to find the course and distance to
the onion fields in Connecticut, or
to their fair cultivators, will please
Wethersfield, Ct.]

Weathersfield was first settled
about the year 1778. It is bounded
S. by Springfield, N. by Windsor,
and is 61 miles S. by E. from Mont-
pelier. Population, in 1830, 2,213.
This town lies on the west side of
Connecticut river, at the “ Bow,”
so called from a bend in the river.
It contains large tracts of rich
meadow land, and the uplands are
of a good quality.

William Jarvis, Esq., for many
years a resident here, owns a large
and superior farm, and has greatly
benefited this section of country by
the introduction of new modes
of agriculture, and more {Valuable
breeds of stock. The agricultural
products of Weathersfield are very
valuable : about 15,000 fleec'es of
fine wool are annually sheared.

This town is large, and contains
a number of pleasant villages. It
is watered by several ponds, and by
Black river, which gives it a water
power, and which is applied to
manufacturing operations to some
extent. In common with all the
towns on Connecticut river, Weath-
ersneld has its share of delightful
scenery; and there is no better
place to find it, in all its richness,
than on the
.dscutney, at the north
part of the town.

Webster, Mass.

Worcester co. This town was
incorporated in 1832, and named
in compliment to Hon.
including a part of
Dudley and Oxford, and a tract of
land previously unincorporated. It
is bounded'N. by Oxford, E. by
Douglas, S. by Thompson, in
Connecticut, and W. by Dudley.
It is 46 miles W. S. W. from Bos-
ton, 16 S. from Worcester, 45 E.
by S. from Springfield, and 28 N.
W. from Providence, R. I. Popu-
lation, 1837, 1,210.

There are in operation in this
town two woolen and four large
cotton mills, a cotton t.hread mill,
1 machine shop, 1 bleachery, a tan-
nery, and a manufactory of tin
ware : total value of manufactures,
the year ending April 1, 1837,

- French river and a pond give this
place a large and unfailing water
power. The original name of this
pond, as appears from ancient deeds,
Chabanakongkonionii the same
name by which Dudley was known,
though the latter probably borrow-
ed it from the former. Some re-
cords and maps of New England


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.