The Pawcatuck affords a grealt va-
riety of scale and shell fish.
The surface of the town is gen-
erally uneven; in some parts it
presents rugged features. Its soil
varies from good to bad, but its av-
erage quality is well adapted to the
culture of all the varieties of grains,
grasses, fruits-and vegetables com-
mon to the climate. The business
of the dairy is extensive and lucra-
The milage of Pawcatuck is ve-
ry, handsome; it is finely located 6
miles from the sea, at the head of
navigation on'the Pawcatuck, and
at the falls on that stream. This
village is the site of valuable man-
ufactures, and of a large interior
trade. It is crossed by the, Provi-
dence and Stonington rail road, and
lies 40 mile's S. S. W. from Provi-
dence, 5 N.'N. E. from.Stonington,
and 85 W. by S. from Newport.
There are a number of pleas-
ant ponds in the town, well stored
with fish. Westerly was incorpo-
rated in 1669. Population, 1830,
1,904. Its Indian name was Mis-
West Fairlee, Vt.
Orange co. This town is water-
ed by Ompomponoosuc river, and
by a part of Fairlee pond. The
surface is rough and mountainous,
hut capable of sustaining a consid-
erable number of cattle.
West Fairlee was chartered in
connexion with Fairlee, in 1761;
and incorporated as a distinct town
in 1797. It lies 28 miles S. E.
from Montpelier, and 12 E. by S.
from Chelsea. Population, 1830,
Orleans co. A number of the
branches of Missisque river meet
in this town, and afford a good wa-
ter power. A part of the sur-
face of Westfield is mountainous;
through which is the pass in the
Green mountains, called Hazen’s
Notch. Westfield was first settled
about the year' 1800, It lies 42
miles N. from Montpelier, and 44
N. E. from Burlington. Population,
Westfieljl River, Mass.
This river, often called the Aga-
wam, rises, in the north part of
Berkshire county. It has many
tributaries, and is exceedingly wild
and romantic in many plaees. Its
main branch traverses the towns
of Plainfield, Cummington, Goshen,
Worthington, Chesterfield, Nor-
wich, Montgomery, Russell, and
Westfield(and meets the Connec-
ticut at West Springfield, 30 miles
N. froip Hartford, Ct.
Hampden oo. This is a place
of singular beauty, on Westfield
river. It lies in a valley or basin
of about 4 miles in diameter, sur-
rounded by high hills, and is sup-
posed to have been the bed of a
lake whose waters burst the Mount
Tom range of mountains and dis-
charged itself into Connecticut riv-
The Hampshire and1 Hampden
canal passes through this town, and
promises great advantages to its
trade and hydraulic power.
About a third part of the popula-
tion of the village is engaged in
making whips. The annual amount
of that article manufactured here isr
about $160,000. There are also
three powder mills in the town, and
manufactures of tin ware, ploughs,
boots, shoes, leather, cigars, palm-
leaf hats, chairs, cabinet and wood-
en wares: total annual value, about
The Westfield academy is in
high standing : it has considerable
funds, and its annual number of
scholars is about 400.
Westfield was first settled in 1659.
Incorporated in 1669. It lies 99
miles W. S. W. from Boston, 9 W.
by N. from Springfield, and 16 S.