Whiting of Wrentham, Mass. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 653.
Windham co. Deerfield river
passes through this town and forms
considerable tracts of valuable in-
tervale. The surface of the up-
lands is diversified ; with a good
soil for sheep, of which many are
Sawdawgapond, in Whitingham,
is rather a curiosity. It is a hand-
some sheet of water, covering
about 500 acres. For many years
past earth has been forming over
its surface, and from 75 to 100 acres
of land now rise and fail with the
waters of the pond.
Among the first settlers of Ver-
mont, many remarkable instances of
longevity and fecundity are found.
A Mr. Pike hard 28 children; 19
of whom were living a few years
since ; the youngest aged-25 years.
Mr. Benjamin Cook died in this
town, a few years since, aged 106
years. He had followed the busi-
ness, of shoemaking through life.
He celebrated his hundredth birth
day by making a pair of shoes,
without the use of spectacles.
Whitingham was first settled in
1773. It lies 17 miles W. hy S.‘
from Brattleborough, and 18 E. S.
E. from Bennington. Population,
Wiekford Village, It. I.
See J\Torth Kingston.
/ Hampden, co. The people of
this pleasant town are principally
employed in agricultural pursuits,
and are remarkable for equality of
property. This town is watered
by the Chickopee and several of its
small tributaries. The surface is
agreeably diversified by hills and
valleys, and the soil is well adapted
to agricultural and horticultural
pursuits. The products of Wil-
braham are numerous ; among oth-
ers, tbe weight of 2,292 fleeces of
wool, sheared in tbis town in 1837,
was 6,110 pounds, valued at $3,669.
There are some manufactures'’ in
the town of boots, shoes, leather,
straw bonnets, palm-leaf hats, wag-
The “ Wesleyan'Academy,55 in
. Wilbraham,is an institution of great
value, and in high reputation. It
fyas considerable funds, and about
240 scholars attend throughout the
year. Scholars are received at this
seminary from ten years of age
and upwards.' The annual cost to
a scholar, for .board and tuition, is
from $80 to $99. This-institution
was incorporated in 1824, and is
governed by a board of trustees.-'
Great excitement existed in this
quiet town and vicinity by the
murder of Marcus Lyon, on the
9th of November, 1805. The mur-
der was committed by two foreign-
ers, Halliganand Daley, who were
hanged at Northampton on the 5th
of June, 1S06.
Wilbraham lies 80 miles W. S.
W. from Boston, and .10 E. from"
Springfield. It was incorporated
in 1653. Population, 1837, 1,802.
Williams’ river, in Kermonf, is
formed in Chester by the union of
three considerable branches, which
originate' in small streams in the.
townships of Ludlow, Andover,
Windham, and Grafton. These
three branches unite about a mile
and a half to the southeast of the
two villages in Chester, and their
united waters, after running 15
miles in a southeasterly direction,
fall into Connecticut river in Rock-
ingham, three miles above Bellows*
Falls. Along this stream is some
fine intervale, and it affords several
good mill privileges. Williams’
river derives its name from the
celebrated Rev. John Williams,
who was taken by the Indians at
Deerfield, Mass., in 1704. and who.
at the mouth of this stream, preach-