Bolivar County, Mi., c. h. at Bolivar. On the
Mississippi, opposite the mouth of the Arkansas.
Watered by Sunflower River.
Bolivar, N. Y., Alleghany co. On the Penn-
sylvania border. High and uneven. 275 miles
Bolivar, O., Tuscarawas co. On the W. side
of the Tuscarawas River, and on the Ohio Canal.
118 miles N. E. from Columbus.
Bolivar, Te., c. h. Hardeman co. Near the
Big Hatchee River, on the S. side. 162 miles S.
W. from Nashville.
Bolton, Ct., Tolland co. The soil is a coarse,
hard, gravelly loam, fit only for grazing. The
Bolton stone quarry is quite noted. The
stone is a species of slate, of a brilliant light gray
color, composed of mica and quartz, and is ex-
cellent for flagging and other purposes. It is
extensively used in the principal cities of the
United States. For strength it exceeds any
other known in this country, and the demand for
it is rapidly increasing." 16 miles E. from Hart-
ford. The Providence, Hartford, and Fishkill
Railroad passes through this place.
Bolton, Ms. On the height of land between
Concord and Nashua Rivers. A good farming
town. The hills contain limestone, and lime
is made here. 31 miles W. by N. from Bos-
Bolton, N. Y., Warren co. Bounded on the
E. by Lake George, and contains several small
lakes. The Schroon branch of the Hudson River
waters the W. part. The surface is hilly, and in
some parts mountainous, and the soil not remark-
ably good. 72 miles N. from Albany.
Bolton, Yt., Chittenden co. On the western
range of the Green Mountains. Mountainous
and broken, and but a small part of it capable of
being settled. Winooski River runs through it,
from E. to W.; also the Vermont Central Rail-
road. 19 miles S. E. from Burlington, and 19 N.
W. from Montpelier.
Bombay, N. Y., Franklin co. Little Salmon
and St. Regis Rivers water this town, the surface
of which is mostly level. 15 miles N. E. from
Malone, and 226 N from Albany.
Bond County. Is., c. h. at Greenville. S. W. cen-
tral. Watered by Shoal Creek, a branch of the
Bonnet Carre, La., c. h. St. John Baptist
parish. In a bend of the Mississippi River,
called Bonnet Carre, (square bonnet.) 38 miles
W. from New Orleans.
Boone County, Is., c. h. at Belvidere. On the
northern border. Watered by the Kankekee and
its tributaries, the E. head waters of Rock River.
Surface undulating ; soil very fertile.
Boone County, la., c. h. at Lebanon. Central.
Watered by Sugar and Racoon Creeks. Surface
mostly level,.consisting partly of prairie; soil
Boone County, Io., c. h. at Boonboro'. Central.
The Des Moines passes through it from N.
Boone County, Ky., c. h. at Burlington. The
northernmost county in the state, in a bend of
the Ohio, opposite the mouth of the Great Mi-
ami. The Ohio River bounds this county on the
N. Surface uneven; soil fertile.
Boone County, Mo., c. h. at Columbia. Cen-
tral. On the N. bank of the Missouri. Rock
and Cedar Creeks drain this county.
Boone County, Va. West part. Rough and un-
even. The Coal River, a southern tributary of
the Kenhawa, runs on its eastern border, and
the Little Coal N. through it.
Booneville, N. Y., Oneida co. Drained by
Black River and the head waters of the Mo-
hawk. 28 miles N. from Utica, and 123 W.
Boonville, As., c. h. Scott co. 120 miles W.
by N. from Little Rock.
Boonville, la., c. h. Warwick co., lies between
Pigeon and Cypress Creeks. 173 miles S. S. W.
Boonville, Kv., c. h. Owsley co.
Boonville, Mo., c. h. Cooper co. On the S.
bank of Missouri River. 50 miles N. W. from
Bordentown, N. J., Chesterfield, Burlington co.
On the E. bank of the Delaware. 27 miles N.
from Philadelphia, and 7 miles S. E. from Tren-
ton. Built on an elevated plain 65 feet above
the river, upon which it has a commanding and
beautiful situation. The Camden and Amboy
Railroad passes, by a viaduct, under some of its
principal streets. The Delaware and Raritan
Canal here connects with the Delaware at the
head of steamboat navigation. Bordentown is
a favorite resort, in the summer season, for peo-
ple from Philadelphia. The village is very neat,
and enjoys a salubrious climate. The extensive
grounds and mansion formerly occupied by
Joseph Bonaparte, ex-king of Spain, are among
the most conspicuous and attractive objects of
the place. One of the most magnificent river
views any where to be enjoyed in the coun-
try is afforded here. The Delaware, as seen
from the brow of the hill on which the town
is situated, winds its way through a level coun-
try, spread out for many miles under the eye
of the spectator, until it disappears behind pro-
Boothbay, Me., Lincoln co. On the coast be-
tween Sheepseot and Damariscotta Rivers, al-
most surrounded by water. 34 miles S. S. E.
from Augusta, and 60 E. N. E. from Portland.
Boscawen, N. II., Merrimac co. On the W.
side of Merrimac River. The town is watered
by the Blackwater, an important stream. Of a
deep, productive soil, affording many excellent
farms. The surface very level. The principal
village on the E. section of the town is a street
nearly two miles in length, very straight and
level. There is another village on a pleasant
eminence near the west meeting house. 8 miles
N. W. from Concord, with which it communi-
cates by two railroads.
Boston, Ms. Seaport and capital of the state.
Situated at the W. extremity of Massachusetts
Bay, into which empty Charles and Mystic Riv-
ers. By age and commercial importance, Boston
is the metropolis of New England. — The pop-
ulation of Boston, in 1700, was 7000; in 1722,
10,567: in 1765, 15,520; in 1790, 18.038; in
1800, 24,937; in 1810, 33,250; in 1820, 43,298 ;
in 1830,61,391; in 1840, 93,470; and in 1850,
136,884. Owing to the almost insular situation
of Boston, and its limited extent, its population,
as compared with that of other large cities of the
Union, does not fairly represent its relative im-
portance. While the population of East Boston,
on an island adjacent in the harbor, and of South
Boston, on a contiguous point of the main land
of Dorchester, is included in that of the city
proper, because these new suburbs are embraced