Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 292

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 291 ...Page 293

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


conspire to render this the most enchanting scene
this side of the Bay of Naples.

The Old State House still stands in State
Street, at its upper end, and seen from below pre-
sents a fine specimen of the architecture of a
former age. On this spot w'as the seat of govern-
mentin Massachusetts for
140 years: two buildings
having been destroyed by fire before the present
venerable edifice was erected. The first was built
1659, the second in 1714, and the present in
1748. Since the removal of the Capitol to Beacon
Hill, in
1798, the old State House has been used
some time for a City Hall and Post Office, and
more recently for stores and offices for men of

One of the first objects of interest for which
the stranger inquires in Boston is Eaneuil Hall,.

— the “ Cradle of Liberty celebrated in Amer-
ican history as the forum of that patriotic elo-
quence which made a monarch tremble on his
throne, inspired an unprepared and unassisted
people to achieve their independence, and sounded
out those maxims of political truth and wisdom
which have extended their influence over the hab-
itable globe. This noble edifice, the gift of Peter
Faneuil, Esq., to the town in 1742, is situated in
Dock Square, is 100 feet long by 80 feet wide,
and three stories high. The great hall is 76 feet
square, and 28 feet high, with deep galleries on
3 sides, and capable of containing about 5500 per-
sons standing. It is appropriately decorated with
the busts and portraits of the fathers of Amer-
ican liberty who once thundered within its walls,

Hancock, Samuel and John Adams, — and
of others, as of Washington and Knox, who
thundered upon the field of battle. The portrait
of Washington is the original full length picture
by Stuart. To these are added a beautiful pic-
ture, in full size, by Sargent, of Faneuil, the
munificent donor. The building was materially
enlarged, by additions to its width and height, in
1805. It is interesting to notice the unfading
power of the patriotic associations of this memo-
rable hall upon the minds of the Boston populace.
It is enough for the purposes of the popular
orator, on any topic connected with social or civil
right, if his auditors breathe within its sacred walls.

Faneuil Hall Market, situated immediately E.
of Faneuil Hall, is one of the most costly and
superb of the public buildings. It extends on
Dock Square
535| feet, and is 50 feet in width.
The centre part of the building,
74 by 55 feet on
the ground, rises to the height of
77 feet, and is
surmounted by a beautiful dome. The wings in
their entire extent are
30 feet high, with two sto-
ries above the basement. Upon each end is a
portico, with four columns, of the Grecian Doric
3<| feet in diameter at the base, and 20
feet 9 inches high, to the capital; each column
being one solid shaft of Quincy granite, of which
material, finely hammered, the whole building is
constructed. The first story is occupied for the
market, having its stalls on each side of a grand
corridor, through the whole length of the building.

— The upper story is one vast hall, so constructed as
to be divided ilito several compartments for ware-
rooms, or all thrown into one, for large sales,
fairs, or exhibitions of mechanical or agricultural
products. This upper hall is called Quincy Hall,
in honor of Hon. Josiah Quincy the elder, under
whose mayoralty it was built. The edifice, ex-
clusive of the land, cost
$150,000. Faneuil Hall
Market is one of the most extensive and richly-
furnished markets in the country. Besides the
retail, a large wholesale business is here carried
on, not only for the city, but for a wide circle of
towns in its vicinity, which by the numerous rail-
roads are brought within a few hours of Boston.
On each side of this beautiful building are two
broad streets, one
65 and the other 102 feet in
width, having each a range of spacious warehouses
with granite fronts, facing the market. There are
several other markets in the city. Besides those
in East Boston and South Boston, there are
Boylston Market, Beach Street Market, and Wil-
liams Market, in Dover Street; also Blackstone
Market, in the street of the same name. The
two last named were opened in
1852. Over
Boylston Market is a public hall, 100 feet in
length by
48 in width. This building is . at the
corner of Washington and Boylston Streets, near-
ly opposite the site of the old Liberty Tree, of
revolutionary renown.


The City Hall is centrally located, on an open
plot of ground between Court Square and School
Street, having the Stone Chapel Cemetery on the
west, extending to Tremont Street. The edifice
is of granite, and consists of an octagon centre,
with wings on the E. and W. sides. The entire
length of the building is
140 feet.

The Court House, in Court Square, between
the City Hall and Court Street, for the accommo-
dation of all the courts of law for the city, coun-
ty, state, and the United States, is a stately
edifice, of hewn granite, in length
175 feet 10
inches, in width 53 feet 10 inches, and in height
57 feet 3 inches. A Doric portico adorns each of
its N. and S. fronts, having four fluted granite
4 feet 5 inches in diameter, and 25 feet
4 inches high, of a single piece, weighing 25 tons
each. Excepting these two fine porticoes, this
building is plain in the exterior.

The Merchants' Exchange, on the south side
of State Street, is a magnificent structure, com-
pleted in
1842. Its front, on State Street, is 76
feet; its height, 70 feet; and its depth, to Lindall
250 feet, covering 13,000 feet of land. It3
front is entirely of Quincy granite, with four
pilasters and two antaes, each of a single stone
45 feet in height, and weighing, on an average,
55 tons. The great central hall, for the Mer-
chants' Exchange and newspaper reading room,
is truly a splendid room. Its dimensions are
by 58 feet, having 18 beautiful columns support-
ing the dome, 20 feet in height, in fine imitation
of Sienna marble, with Corinthian capitals. The
front is occupied by banks, insurance offices, &c.,
and the basement for the Post Office. There is
also a hotel in the building. The cost of the
structure, exclusive of the site, was

The Custom House, in Boston, is one of the
most magnificent and elaborately finished build-
ings in the United States. It was commenced in
1837, and not entirely completed until 1849.
The whole cost, including the site, was about
$1,076,000. It is situated between Long Wharf
and Central Wharf, fronting west upon Commer-
cial Street, and east upon the harbor. It is in
the form of a Greek cross, surmounted, over the
transept, by a dome, which, like the whole roof
of the building, is entirely of granite tile, to the
skylight. Its foundations rest on
3000 piles,
driven in the most effective manner. The length
140 feet, and its width 75 feet. Its width at
the centre, including the projections of'the cross,
95 feet; the porticoes upon these projections

A Gazetteer of the United. States of America by John Hayward.

Hartford, CT; Case, Tiffany and Company. 1853. Public domain

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.